Outpost III - AAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Outpost III - AAR Thread

"What I would like to see is those that enjoyed the event look at it as a great cap on a great year and not start nitpicking it to death as happens to most events.
    Did everyone cross all the T's and dot all the I's? No, because we were trying to put on an event as good as we knew how. "

If we examine the mistakes made at Outpost III maybe the next event can be that much better?
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

All I know is we had a bugler from Baltimore in the back of the van who was tickled pink to have had the opportunity to work with RJ Samp at Outpost 3. Randy's AAR: "Great!"
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Jim - That whole voting scenario was AWESOME. I really enjoyed going around and getting people to sign the petition, even though I was more or less a tag-along. I had some really good political conversations with people from all the federal companies. I really like doing that stuff.
        Also portraying a person from where I live in modern times was a cool experience, so having a little more of a inside look into politics in Illinois in the 1860's was a real positive experience.
        The battle cries on Sunday were great as well... it was so encouraging to hear that good, manly "Suckers to the Front!" and in reply, "Clear the Track!" Awesome.
        What can I say, I love Illinois.
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
          I'm coming from a different place, since I like to see it approached with the Yoda philosophy, where it's do or do not; there is no try.
          As one who had never done firper to any extent, I think we may want to define what exactly that means at an event.

Were we expected at Outpost III to "become" a given named historical individual, with extensive background on that person, and "be" him for the weekend, I doubt I'd have been able to pull it off.

The approach I took was to be "Joe Soldier", of the 89th Illinois, a generic Everyman who tried to speak, when he spoke at all, in a manner consistant with both the period being reenacted and the particular circumstances that occurred within the event.

Much of the conversations in which I participated consisted of commenting on the engagements we had been involved in, duties we were performing, how tired we were following the fighting, the best way to cook a potato without it burning, etc. They came out of the natural flow of the activities of the event, not something forced in attempting to "be" someone or something I'm not.

Odds are some non-period verbiage and syntax was included, but the overall responses and comments were keeping within the context of the happenings of the event, and not in wondering if the Buckeyes were winning or how we couldn't wait to get a shower and find a buffet after the event.

Is that enough for some folks? Probably not, but I think they may be the exceptions to the norm. Is it possible that what I was doing is not really first person at all? Maybe; it depends upon what you're looking to accomplish.
          Bernard Biederman
          30th OVI
          Co. B
          Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
          Outpost III

Comment

I did receive the petitions Saturday night from Sgt Fleming. He asked me if I would do something wioth it and told me of the mens grievences. I had the Adjutant compose a letter to the Colonel to address the Governor about or views and had it and the names of the signed men forwarded on up. I will post that letter later.
            Terry Sorchy

Comment

Originally posted by IowaYank View Post
              My opinion is that not doing first person at an authentic event just makes it guys sitting around with good kits. If I wanted to reenact and hear about modern things I could go to a mainstream event. If we are trying to recreate being Civil War soldiers, the talking is a big part of it.
              Exactly. I franky don't understand why this is even an issue at an event like Outpost - it was set up well to be 36 hours in the lives of soldiers. Its the army for goodness sakes, and it does not take a degree in Rocket Science to convert most modern subjects to their 1860's equivalent easily, especially with all the good background material we had for this event. Or as Anna says - just go with the flow.

Bernie (welcome to first person!) said it well below:

"Much of the conversations in which I participated consisted of commenting on the engagements we had been involved in, duties we were performing, how tired we were following the fighting, the best way to cook a potato without it burning, etc. They came out of the natural flow of the activities of the event, not something forced in attempting to "be" someone or something I'm not."

And Terry Sorchy on the ONV:

"From what I heard from those that were there, Company A the ONV was in first person about 99% of the time ALL weekend. Thats what we do. At ALL events. It is where our comfort zone is."

I disagree with the assertion that campaigners want to come to campaigner events (BGR, Outpost) and talk about modern stuff. That may be true for NPS events and such, though I am crazy enough to think you can at least maintain first person during the "duty day" at those as well (ONV - its what we do). It may also be true for posers with a good kit - but they are not campaigners in the sense I think of it. But when the task at hand is all military, or civil-military, it just is not hard to stay in first person (be a soldier), for a mere 36 hours. There is plenty of time in the parking lot to talk modern stuff.

Then again, maybe we can drive a stake into the heart of that outmoded term "campaigner" finally. That way we avoid the seeming contradiction implied by campaigners not being soldiers - engaging in modern talk at authentic events.

"Soldiers" would be a good replacement, since presumably "soldier" is the standard.
              Last edited by DougCooper; 11-05-2007, 12:33 PM.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                "Soldiers" would be a good replacement, since presumably "soldier" is the standard.
                A number of people may find that to be incredibly offensive.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  All I know is we had a bugler from Baltimore in the back of the van who was tickled pink to have had the opportunity to work with RJ Samp at Outpost 3. Randy's AAR: "Great!"
                  Talk about a willing and enthusiastic pupil....a quick learner....heck, he had worked with Jari the weekend before....the best of East and West in two weekends?! I just wished that Randy and I could have been in camp together more often...he was off with Ewing's Foot Cavalry covering our back door/left flank for most of the event. We actually talked back and forth in a simple bugler's shorthand that I taught him Friday night....allowing us to manuever the boys as Sorchy, Owens, and Jerram desired. We even talked to Coley/Pete Peterson by bugle...nothing like the cavalry calls and the pounding of horses hoofs getting ever close and closer to put a chill into an infantryman's spine.

And Tom Klas, you guys were superb....always a pleasure to work with the ONV (back 10 years ago I started out with the 2nd WVI and met Tom back in the day....).....my 'career' has changed in the last 7 months for the good, and I may be able to get away for more cph events.
                  RJ Samp
                  (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                  Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

RJ,

One of the things I love about this hobby is a vanpool from Virginia snagging a ride for a bugler from Maryland to ride to an event in Tennessee (with at least one Texan in the vehicle) to work with another bugler, he from Illinois, both of whom are working for a fellow from Wisconsin. It's like "wheels on the car go 'round and 'round."

It gets even more interesting when a Canadian and New Yorker being held prisoner are being guarded by two fellows in gray from Virginia who just happen to be from the same unit.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                      RJ,

One of the things I love about this hobby is a vanpool from Virginia snagging a ride for a bugler from Maryland to ride to an event in Tennessee (with at least one Texan in the vehicle) to work with another bugler, he from Illinois, both of whom are working for a fellow from Wisconsin. It's like "wheels on the car go 'round and 'round."

It gets even more interesting when a Canadian and New Yorker being held prisoner are being guarded by two fellows in gray from Virginia who just happen to be from the same unit.
                      It's things like this that remind me how great a "hobby" we have chosen. Just think how much trouble each of us could get into without research, discussion forums, and shooting at each other to occupy our time.
                      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                      WIG/GVB
                      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

RJ, it would be great to see you at more ONV and other such events. At Old World Wisconsin this year James Weighton and myself were off fighting dismounted a couple hundred yards away from where Peter Yurkonis was with the horses and Pete had to yell return to horse to try to get us back. Took a could times of his yelling to get us back.We could barely hear him. Sure would have helped to have a bugler present.

Dan Chmelar
                        Dan Chmelar
                        Semper Fi
                        -ONV
                        -WIG
                        -CIR!

Comment

The crazy:

-The Federal bugler that walked right up to me on Saturday early am after the fight. I think my pistol blast scared him off :wink_smil

Yeah, that was a learning experience for me. I'm more careful now about going off alone in the dark for any reason. :)
                          -
                          Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
                          The swallows fly low
                          Over the fields in clouded days,
                          The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

To all, thank you for a truly wonderful weekend. 1SG Adair for allowing me to ride with the Critters. The civilian interaction around the cabin. I was not involved in the Saturday's battle as I was posted as guard at the cabin. Ms. Craddock and her attempt to free the prisoner while I tried to be a gentleman was a stab in the back and will be noted. To the ladies of at the cabin, be it known that your febble attempts to lure my horse to your own stable was a nice try, but no cigar. Spencer is happy to be home in his own sand box with the ladies across the fence. He does thank you for the carrots though.

16 hours to, 16 hours back, 2 hours sleep Friday night, 4 hours sleep Saturday night, one question, when can I do this again?
                            Charles Bradford
                            Texas

Comment

Randy,

You surprised me as well. I just reacted accordingly. And no I was not aiming directly at you. That would be bad times indeed. So I guess there is precedence for you to have run off safel.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Mr.Bradford,

You should be humbled at our admiration for your fine steed. While you made it clear horse thieves are hung in Texas, you were in the great state of Tennessee and you law does not apply here.

As to my attempt to free a fellow Confederate you gave the opportunity and it was taken. Do not make me inform 1st sgt Adair you wandered off leaving the prisonor alone. :p
                                Carrie Craddock

Comment

Working...
                                X