Rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rounds

It is extremely important to bring 60 rounds to this event. They will NOT be collected and reissued, but this amount falls in the middle ground of what the soldiers in this area were firing per man per day. Start rolling now, we're not that far out!
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Rounds

Pat,

The NPS's official black powder guidelines (i.e., rules) prohibit using "wadding" (to simulate a bullet) in repro cartridges. Most NPS sites I've worked with enforce this rule in reenactors' ammo. Does that hold for Vicksburg NMP?

Comment

That's the norm for most parks, Vicksburg included. The field directly in front of both US and CS works are high grass, so that could end up being very bad.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

I'm assuming that we are talking about ramming actual paper down onto the powder charge while loading?
        I have seen it done with paper, and without, discretion of who ever is in charge, and due to the dry/wet conditions of the Park grounds.

Full size rounds are always easier to handle...ever try pulling a blank (just powder only) round from an Enfield Cartridge Box?
        respectfully:

Kevin Dally
        Kevin Dally

Comment

Kevin,
          Ramrods will be used. So take that into consideration, also the fact that the siege dates then and today have been historically dry.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

I wrote up the attached to serve as a guideline for Federal participants in making up their ammunition for the event. As Pat wrote, bring 60 rounds.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would say that reading Kevin's article is a good source for anyone attending the event but is in not way a set standard set out by the coordinator. The only stipulation I have and will enforce is not to use wadding.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Before anyone makes the observation, yes, eliminating "wadding" from your repro, blank, rifle-musket cartridges makes them abnormally short and stubby.

Comment

Boy…I HATE to be the one to ask…:o at risk of upsetting folk (over details) I have a lot of respect for working so hard to coordinate putting this together for us to participate…

WOULD it be OK to have FULL SIZE rounds made, but NOT to ram the cartridge/paper down onto the charge in the barrel?

I ask only because I already have a bunch of real size Enfield rounds made up, and other full size rounds made for a couple of my pards, in anticipation fro this event. Dumping powder only, discarding the rest of the cartridge is no problem for me personally.

I can change to specs that Kevin O'Beirne has posted above in his PDF file, if you so desire, and can get my other pards to do the same.
                  Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
                  Kevin Dally

Comment

Kevin (Dally),
                    I have posted statements above and would hope you would derive the answer from that, NO WADDING PER NPS GUIDELINES.
                    Last edited by coastaltrash; 04-29-2007, 04:19 PM.
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

In support of Pat's post just above, I understand how "arbitrary" certain aspects of NPS guidelines/requirements may seem to "smart reenactors". For example, MY rifle-musket is always clean and in good repair, so why does the NPS need to inspect it? :)

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if it makes sense: the NPS has its rules and we hvae to comply with them. Frankly, given the stuff they ARE letting participants at this event do that normally isn't done at most NPS sites, the "no wadding" requirement is sort of small potatoes for participants. I understand and sympathize with those who already have cartridges made up that DO include wadding, but NPS requirements are their rules, and it's their site, so no wadding in the rounds in your box when you arrive onsite.

Also--and this shouldn't have to be said but I've encountered what I view as ridiculous resistance from this at certain events in the past--PLEASE have proper tins in your cartridge box when you arrive onsite. THis is an essential safety measure. Admittedly, the potential for a black-powder explosion in your cartridge box is usually pretty remote, but it exists and black-powder training for the staff at any historic site where I've done living history, whether NPS, state, locally-owned, or pivately-owned site, requires tins in your cartridge box. My advice is to not even think of showing up to Vicksburg NMP without tins in your cartridge box.

Comment

Working...
                      X