20th Ohio Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Ohio Account

"A cook in the 96th Ohio happened to be cooking beans the other day, when General AJ Smith, commanding a division of the 13th Army Corps, came around on camp inspection. After being properly saluted by the cook, the general began a colloquy as follows:

Gen Smith- What are you cooking?
    The Cook- Beans Sir
    Gen Smith- How long do you cook beans?
    The cook- Four hours, sir.
    Gen Smith (with a look of withering scorn)- Four hours! you cook em six hours!

That cook's beans were tender enough that day"

A Soldier's Story of the Siege of Vicksburg by OH Oldroyd, 20th Ohio.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: 20th Ohio Account

I've been reading almost everything that I can on the Vicksburg campaign and Oldroyd's account is well worth its cost ($15 at the Park bookstore). The small book starts with the 20th Ohio crossing the Mississippi at Bruinsburg on May 1st and concludeson July 4th.

Oldroyd's account on how fighting in line of battle ACTUALLY occured, at least in the 20th Ohio, is priceless.

Bill
    Bill Backus

Comment

Smith was quite colorful to say the least. His opinion on the recruitment of black troops is one of the more candid (and foolish) ones expressed by a high ranking Fed officer:

"Smith said that he "Swears he will hang old Thomas if he comes into his camp making such a speech. Says he hates abolitionists worse than he does the Devil. If Jesus Christ was to come down and ask him if he would be an abolitionist, if he would have him to heaven, he answers that "I would say NO! Mr. Christ, I beg to be excused. I would rather go to hell than be an abolitionist." Said he expected to have his official head cut off for his sentiments, but by God he would never back down from his long established principles."
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Here's a few more from OHIO (Osborn Oldroyd)....

v/r
        Mark Susnis

A Soldier’s Story of the Siege of Vicksburg from the Diary of Osborn H. Oldroyd, late Sergeant Co. E, 20th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Orginally published in 1885 for the author Osborn H. Oldroyd and reprinted in 2001 by Friends of Raymond, new materials copyright 2001 by Rebecca Blackwell Drake.

June 3, 1863: “Newspapers are thick in camp, with the familiar cries, “Chicago Times” and “Cincinnati Commercial.” The papers sell quite freely. At home each man wants to buy a paper for himself, but here a single copy does for a whole company, and the one that buys it reads it aloud – a plan which suits the buyer very well, if not the seller, while some of these papers applaud the bravery of the generals and their commands, and pray that the brilliancy of past achievements be not dimmed by dissensions in the face of the enemy, others papers have articles that sound to us like treason, slandering the soldier and denouncing the government”.

June 5, 1863: “The siege is still in progressing favorably. There is joy in our camp for Uncle Sam has again opened a clothing store, which we shall patronize, asking nothing about price or quality. The boys cheered lustily when they saw the teams drive in, and heard what they were loaded with. However, I don’t want to hug rifle-pits with a brand new suit on, for it would soon get dirty”.

June 7, 1863: “The 20th was at the front all day, sharp shooting. There is a good deal danger in this kind of business, but we have our fun at it notwithstanding. Another effigy hoisted a little above our rifle-pits, in an instant drew the fire of the enemy. It was a ruse to get them to raise their heads a little, and when they did, we fired back, and the results generally justified the refrain to which our thoughts were moving”.

June 18, 1863: “Boys at the front have time for sport, which is not to be interrupted even by stray shells. I noticed four of our boys playing euchre, when a shell from the enemy came careering just above their heads; but they treated it with entire indifference. Another group I saw playing “seven up” under a blanket caught at the four corners in the hammers of muskets stuck in the ground, and thereby forming a very good shelter from the sun. A shell burst right over this group, scattering its fragments all around, but even this failed to disturb the game, further than to call forth the timely comment, “Johnny passes”.

June 19, 1863: “Many a second lieutenant has fallen victim to the sharpshooter because of his fresh uniform, while officers of more experience have escaped under slouched hats and old blouses”.

June 28, 1863: “Each man must answer to his name in the ranks at roll-call in the morning, and must be properly dressed. Some of the most ludicrous scenes of army life are to be witnessed at this exercise. A few of the old fashioned, steady fellows, as a general thing appear quite thoroughly dressed; but as you go down the ranks from the head where they stand, you will begin to find now and then, a man who has but one boot or shoe on, with the other but half way on. Another boy will be putting on his blouse – having grabbed it in the dark – of course wrong side out..I saw one fellow come out, at the foot of the company, wrapped only in a blanket. The orderly, however, sent him back to be better uniformed; he could not play Indian at morning roll call. The last one of those who has overslept, makes his appearance holding onto his clothes with both hands”.
        Mark Susnis
        Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
        X