June CS Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June CS Quotes

"Rations are short and we eat two meals per day at 9 am in the morning and 3 in the evening" 208

"Rations cut down from 8 small biscuits, enough peas for one meal and a quarter pound of bacon, to 4 biscuits, rice about 2 inches square boiled, a small amount of peas and bacon" pg 213

"Our cornmeal has given out; the men now get 1/4 lb bacon, 1/4 lb of flour or rice flou, sugar 1/8 lb, peas 1/2 qt, 1/50 (*not a typo) molasses" pg 217

"Meat at this period became exhausted, and orders were given to select the finest and fattest mules within the lines, and slaughter them for the purpose of issuing their flesh as food to the troops, a half pound per man...." pg 219

Richard, Allan. The Defense of Vicksburg: A Louisiana Chronicle. College Station: Texas A&M Press 2004
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 06-02-2007, 03:17 PM.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: June CS Quotes

Why do I get the feeling I'm looking at what my ration issue is going to be like for the weekend?
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Meet me on the picket line. I need tbacky.
      Burt Page
      Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Our spies near the Mississippi River have learned the CS cook is...well, decorum prevents me from mentioning just who that might be.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Unlike y'all boys, those men came in hungry:

While in Tennessee, before the seige of Vicksburg, John Thomas Glenn wrote the following letter to parents and sisters:

(State of Tenn. Nov. 13 1862

Bone County)

Dear Father

And Mother and Sisters i once more take my pend in Hand to in form you that we are well Excep bad coles There is a grate many deaths mosley from cold i Hope when those lines reaches you tha will find you all well and dwoing well i have nothing new to rite to you we can here a heap of nuse in camps but i dont belive more than half i here there is a grate talk of peace i heard General

Barton tell kurnel hunly yesterday that we would have no more fighting to dwo but Some litle Skirmishes. The most of the officers thinks that the war will soon close: tho tha may be decived but i am in hopes it will soon wind up and we will all git to our homes a gin and live in peace a gin as we have done in days that is past and gone (Turn Over)

There is no chance to git furloughs without tha are sick if we git sick if we can git the chance we will come Home for we want to see you all you cant tell how bad we have seen hard times since we left home on our march to Caintucky we was gone 32 days with out eny rest of a count we sufered for water we was glad to come to a mud hole or a mudy pond to git a drink it was so dry and dusty some times we cood hardly see our way for the dust some days we marched 25 miles a day and then at night had to cook up Rashons our feet blister so we cood hardly git a long on our Return we sufered for something to eat some times we marched two days at a time with out eny thing to eat only what we cood git along the rode and that was not much--When we wood come to a cabage pach you had beter see us pich in to it and eat them raw there was a meny a hog killed a long the rode when we wood come up to a fat hog tha wood shoot him down and skin it and take them a peace and cook it at night and eat it with out solt or Bread you may gess we was in a tite for some thing to go on as Johnson says i have pade fifty cts for one small aple pie and was glad to get it at that price ever thing we hafto by we pay five prices tennessee is the gratest country for aples i ever sow grate big red ones i have bought a many a dozen from 25 to 50 cts i have pade $1.25 cts for one plug of tobaco we can get it--now from 60 to 75 cts fur plug we are looking for marching orders ever day i cant tell you where we will go two we git plenty to eat here and plenty of good water

Father i send you fifty dollars by Capt Berry which i want you to keep for a count of it and use it and not keep it on your hands Marion sends you fifty dollars you can pay your dets with it and keep your cotton till it gits a good price i keep 25 or six dollars and marion something like the same i think that is a nuf to keep we will drow before long a gin we have not heard eney word of Wash and Pete nor James yet i fear there is something bad the mater i dont know what tha will dwo for tha was very nery out of money i must close direct your leters to Knoxville tenn we

will be apt to git them i will rite a gin as soon as we git stationed i want you to rite us all the nuse i want you all to not forgit in your prayers so nothing more at present

But Remains Yours} John T Glenn Will Glenn

untill death}

(Roy Glenn, great grandson of John T. Glenn, gave Maryann Cavender Hood a copy of the Confederate letter and the Billy Glenn Bible record.)

"James Barton, from Locust Fork has the original letter written

by John T. Glenn during the Confederate War."--William M. Glenn;

7115 Roland; Normandy, Missouri 63121--Gadsden Public Library.)

John Thomas Glenn* (Paternal 2nd Great Grandfather) John Thomas, his brother, William Marion Glenn, and cousins Peter B., Washington, and James Glenn served in the Confederate War. John joined the Gadsden Volunteers at their organization on 3 March 1862 and was enlisted by Captain Isaac Moragne, the organizer. He was 26 years old, 6 feet tall with dark hair and blue eyes. His company went to Camp Goldthwaite near Talladega and became Company "A" of the 31st Alabama Infantry in April 1862. William Marion Glenn was also in Co. A, 31st Inf. (John Thomas Glenn's great grandson, Curtis Hood, served in the same division in 1951-52 almost a hundred years later.)

John Thomas Glenn was in the Kentucky Campaign but did not see action. He was sent to Fort Gibson, Mississippi, beginning his service in the Army of Mississippi. They battled during the seige of Vicksburg and surrendered on 4 July 1863. Glenn's unit was exchanged, reorganized, and sent to the Army of Tennessee. John fought in the Battle of Chattanooga, and during the 100-Day War he was captured at Resaca, Georgia, on 16 May 1864. They shipped him to Nashville, Tennessee; to Louisville, Kentucky; to Alton, Illinois; and finally to Camp Douglas in Chicago. After spending three months in Alton, he spent from 23 August 1864 until he was discharged on 16 June 1865--almost a year in deplorable prison circumstances where many died. (Copy of war record was given to Maryann Cavender Hood by Ruby Leatherwood O'Shields.)
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

The guy was carrying 75 bucks on him! Wow! Perhaps they were receiving several months of back pay along the way.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

The quote I heard most from a "Major Milburn" of the 23rd Alabama during a parley between the lines on Saturday evening was, "Sir, I am distressed that you keep pushing foward your picket line..." Major Milburn repeatedly expressed his distress. I had to remind him more than once that the reason we were there was to get into Vicksburg, not sit before it in 95-degree heat. :)

Comment

Working...
              X