A Host's Humble Thank You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Host's Humble Thank You

Rather than write an AAR I simply thought I would write a thank you to the people that helped with this event, and help me make it the event it was:

The National Park Staff- Bottom line, and as I said at the conclusion of the event, had it not been for Rick Martin this event would never have happened. I can not stress that enough, without Rick the event was nothing but a pretty good idea with no place to go. I knew the park, and more importantly Rick, had worked with a similar program in 2001 so I want to expand on that event. He answered God knows how many phone calls and emails on things he probably thought were annoying questions considering his busy schedule, but I never went without getting an answer. His staff at that park is the most helpful staff on all levels. After this weekend I certainly have a great respect for David, Traci, Bill and their kids who take that hill everyday and give programs to the public. I consider many of the people on the staff at that park as friends and have this event to thank for that. As previously stated, Rick, Patty and Company are one well organized machine, they were on top of every problem and I enjoyed working with all of them. It always helps when a staff is helpful, but these guys went above and beyond to protect everyone who attended. So to Rick, Patty, Robbie, David, Bill, Traci and Matt- thank you for all of your hard work and my hats are off to all of you.

Art Milbert, Kevin O'Bierne, Brian Luscombe, Justin Runyon, Terry Sorchy, Patrick Craddock, Tripp Corbin and Jim Butler served as officers and organizational heads on a great level. Both sides ran like clockwork as much as mother nature would allow, all of these gentlemen are owed a huge round of applause for their efforts. Craddock, as usual got a lot of phone calls that started with "Hey buddy, I need some advice", and without him I would never have even been able to put on my first event, let alone this monster. Terry Sorchy and Charles Heath helped me form the menus for the weekend, with Terry providing the bulk of the dried food on the US side, along with 7 corned beefs, and grits, hardbread and some other condiment items on the Confederate side. Terry was not responsible for the chicory, so if anyone is wanting to assault the person responsible for that, take it out on history...oh yeah and me. Those two guys broke their backs to help me and I am always in their debt. John Crabb and Beth did a lovely job as a sutler for the weekend and I hope it was worth it for them. Having some nice, cold iced down ginger beer on one of the many trips to the federal side was like a kick in the pants.

Liz, Chuck and Carolyn Warnick provided the flys that gave much relief to the federals during the day, I'm not sure, but I believe there are several boys in blue who would have been in much worse shape without that cover. As Liz said in the previous thread, you guys on the CS line can thank her for the 3 meals rather than the 2 I wanted to give you.

Stanford's Mississippi Battery for giving us one great gun crew this weekend. While the NPS provided their interpretive staff and the park's gun, the addition of Stanford's and the quality of that group certainly added to the effect of the weekend. Vicksburg could not be properly interpreted without the mention and use of artillery and I certainly thank them for their participation.

Shannon Tilley and Jeremy Hurst helped me put this event together. While Jeremy was busy planning his wedding, Shannon and I began work on what would be one heck of a ride. Shannon ran the shuttles all day in his brand new Toyota Tundra, and despite some disrespectful ass sliding over the side instead of waiting for him to open the tailgate, thus leaving a huge black scratch down Shannon's red truck (a move that would have ended with a broken nose if it had been my vehicle) Shannon kept going until 2 a.m. when he, Jeremy and Jason finally left the registration area, which Jim Conley Sr. and Jim Conley Jr. had helped man from 10 am until Midnight after a 10+ hour drive. Without the help of Shannon, Jeremy, Jim Sr and Jim Jr on the ground at the event I would have had one hell of a time. I owe all of them and am glad to have messmates like that.

And finally the participants. Without all of you there is no event. Everyone showed positive attitudes despite mother nature's attempt to kill us all. If all of the first born were dead on Sunday morning I certainly would have believed that the Plagues of Egypt were now the Plagues of Vicksburg. You guys did great and helped raise one heck of a chunk of change for the programs at the park. Thanks everyone and I will see you all in the field very soon.
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: A Host's Humble Thank You

Pat,

It may be the other way around.

We participants owe YOU a mighty big thank you!
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

"Ranger Rick" and his staff were first rate. All of our interactions were out of the norm for NPS and were a very welcome respite.

My AAR is very short... It was everything, as described. It was also wonderful to meet so many from this forum from all over the US and Canada. Pat, you and everyone involved did a great job, thank you all.
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Charles you hit the nail directly as allways sir.
        Thanks to Pat for such a great event!

It was great to be able to return to the field after real life had taken over for so many months to such a undertaking. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the park in quite some time and as allways was a good opertunity to see so many I've been missing in the past & meet some new faces (Mmmm ginger beer and good tobacco). I only hope to see you in good weather next time, it seems you've seen me at both ends of the spectrum. Sweating off poundage at Vicksburg, and acctually feeling snow on my face for the first time at Donelson.

Everyone that was at the battlefield Inn. . .great time indeed. I'm glad I've gotten to display proper cannonball procedure to you all, and had one hell of a time with you in Vicksburg.

Till next time friends, let it not be that far away.
        Regards,
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
        With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
        Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
        We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Pat,

We in Stanford's would like to thank you for asking us to attend. We had a hot time, both from the sun and cannon blasts. They already want us back on the 4th of July. We look forward to working with you again. Keep up the good work and I am glad we didn't have any pirates this time.:baring_te
          Timothy J. Koehn
          Boone's Louisiana Battery
          Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
          http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Pat, thanks for your efforts to pull this one together. It's not easy being an event coordinator, and it can get pretty frustrating just prior to the event (it usually does for me), but you brought it off and it was a darned good time and a unique (for me) event. Good job! :)

Comment

Working...
            X