Wilderness NPS Living History: May 5th and 6th, 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilderness NPS Living History: May 5th and 6th, 2007

On May 5th and 6th, 2007 (Note: these are the dates of the ACTUAL Wilderness Battle, May 5th and 6th, 1864), the Southern Guard Living History Association and the Columbia Rifles are hosting a Federal Living History to take place on the actual Wilderness Battlefield. This event will take place completely on National Park Service land and will encompass several areas of the park that have not been tread upon by Federal soldiers since the war. Programs will be centered around the restored Ellwood House (the site of the Headquarters for the 5th and 9th Corps; as well as the site of several field hospitals), as well as programs to take place tentatively* in Saunders Field, the Widow Tapp Field, and the Brock Road intersection. On Saturday, May 5th, this event will be a mobile living history which will encompass most of the major engagements conducted by Federal forces during the battle. On Sunday, May 6th, the event, in conjunction with the local preservation group, The Friends of the Wilderness Battlefield, will center around the Ellwood House. A Federal Field Hospital program will be ongoing throughout the weekend, located at or in the Ellwood House. More information, uniform regulations, and a schedule of events will be forthcoming. Event coordinator is Jeff Johannes at: jjspanzer@hotmail.com. Field Hospital Coordinator is Noah Briggs at: bluemasscat@gmail.com (*All programs are currently in the planning process; any and all changes will be updated and announced)

Note: If you are an individual and interested in this event, please do not email me at this time. Instead, ask your unit POC or Command Structure to email on behalf of your group or organization. I ask for your patience and stay tuned for more information to be announced via an upcoming website or this forum.

Thank you,
    Jeff Johannes
    Jeff Johannes

Re: Wilderness NPS Living History: May 5th and 6th, 2007

Isn't this the same weekend as McDowell?

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Rover View Post
      Isn't this the same weekend as McDowell?
      A simple use of the search function found the announcement for the 2007 McDowell event - http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...light=mcdowell
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Thanks!

Was wondering more if the organizers knew.

Pards,
        S. Chris Anders

Comment

The NPS has mandated those dates for this event. I believe it has something to do with the dates of the battle anniversary.

Comment

I'm thinking there will be a decent amount of walking done in between the public interaction sites?

It'll be nice to see something happen (again) that hasn't been done before. Actual ground, dates and more.
            Last edited by GrumpyDave; 11-07-2006, 06:11 PM.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
            Past President Potomac Legion
            Long time member Columbia Rifles
            Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Chris,
              I know you are familiar with working the NPS. That means that you are also familiar with the fact that the NPS often doesn't have the luxury of being flexible for a variety of reasons.

We had to reschedule the Spotsylvania LH due to a park paving project and the park offered us this slot at the Wilderness as a replacement. The CR has worked very hard to develop a strong relationship with the NPS (particularly at Federicksburg/Spotsy) and when they offered us this date we agreed to take it.

Regrettably it falls on the same weekend as McDowell, but it also falls on the same weekend as the anniversary of the battle...leave it to Grant and Lee to not look at their calendars

Take care,
              Tom Craig
              Columbia Rifles
              Tom Craig

Comment

Tom,

Understand working with the Park Service...don't worry about that, I just don't want to see another "deconfliction" war. Lord knows we have had enough of those.

Perhaps folks have moved beyond that.

Pards,
                S. Chris Anders

Comment

Re: It is what it is

Sometimes there is conflict between dates and there's nothing anyone can do about it. And its not part of some sinister plot by sparring reenactor factions. It just is. Hopefully both events have enough federal attendees.

Since I've been to McDowell the last two times, I think I'll do the Wilderness LH.
                  Frank Lilley
                  Sore Foot Mess

Comment

...encompass several areas of the park that have not been tread upon by Federal soldiers since the war.
                    The Marines conducted maneuvers at the Wilderness in the early 20th century. I think they may count as "federal" soldiers. ;)
                    - Cyrus Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded_Zouave View Post
                      The Marines conducted maneuvers at the Wilderness in the early 20th century. I think they may count as "federal" soldiers.
                      http://www.fowb.org/E17.html

At least one of those fellows was fascinated by Stonewall Jackson's arm, too.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Chris,
                        I can say without a doubt that there was absolutely NO planned attempt to conflict with McDowell. We had originally planned to be at Spotsy a couple weeks later, but that wasn't to be this year. We tried a variety of different options for dates to avoid confliction, but the final result was that the NPS asked for us to do our program at the Wilderness on the dates of the battle.

As I said before, I regret that the dates align, and on behalf of the CR I wish all the folks at McDowell good luck with their event.
                        Take care,
                        Tom Craig
                        Columbia Rifles
                        Tom Craig

Comment

Tom,
                          Is this event instead of, or in addition to, the Columbia Rifles Spotsylvania Living History two weeks later?
                          -Joe Bordonaro
                          Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Joe,
                            Yes this event is the replacement for Spotsylvania. The roads at Spotsy got scheduled for repaving right around the same time our event was supposed to be. The park service asked us to do this event at the Wilderness and to do the Spotsy event in 2009.
                            Take care,
                            Tom
                            Tom Craig

Comment

Tom:

You are a good and patient soul.

See you Saturday, white gloves and all.
                              Ley Watson
                              POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X