2nd Kernstown, July 20 - 22, 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2nd Kernstown, July 20 - 22, 2007

Here is something of interest for those who will be attending as Federals. Also, remember it's time to register!

Guys,
    As you're probably aware by now, there will be a minstrel show at Kernstown. One of the Federals, Pete McCarthy has written up some skits for the show. Should be quite interesting and certainly colorful entertainment! If anyone is interested in participating please contact Pete at the email address below. You can tell him I sent you. Unit reps, please forward the the men in your unit. Thanks.......Jer

maccaithaigh7@aol.com

Character List

“I Just Don’t Understand”

Narrator

Battalion Commander Rob Grandchamp

Squad of Soldiers

Confederate Soldier

“My Lost Youth”

Reader

“Rapunzel”

Narrator

Father Garr Gast

Mother

“Thin” Witch Bill O’Dea

“Fat” Witch

Prince

“The Arab and the Camel”

Narrator

Arab

Camel

“Hambone, Prints from Denmark (Mississippi)

Narrator

Hambone McPhee

Pig Knuckle Fontaine’s Ghost

Goldencrants Boudreau, Hambone’s friend

Felonious N. Tent, meddlesome old man

Afeelya Payne, a young gentle woman

Sow Belly McPhee, Hambone’s momma

Skeeter Craw, Money Lender

Cutter, Skeeter’s knife man

:D
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

This is the "It's time to register" bump.:tounge_sm
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
      Past President Potomac Legion
      Long time member Columbia Rifles
      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Registration extension

We are extending the registration deadline to June 30.

This one promises to be unique. Get 'em in.
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Work day went well today. Thanks to the crew of 12 that helped cut and split wood.

Hope folks can make this one. The show alone will be worth the price of admission.

KBA is really pushing this one and there will be an article in the Washington Post on July 1 regarding reenacting in the DC area. Both the Kernstown and Fredericksburg events will be mentioned.

Looks like we will be accepting registrations up until about 1 week before the event, so if you can meet the uniform guidelines, please give this event a look at www.stonewallbrigade.com
          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

Comment

What are the approximate numbers of registered participants for both sides at this time for this event?
            David Parent

The Cracker Mess
            MLK Mess
            Black Hat Boys
            WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

David,

Not sure why you want to know that, but it is about 35 per side, including two guns crews (Fed) and some cavalry (Fed).

CS is only infantry.
              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Comment

I went to the one that the SWB did a couple of years ago as a spectator. Dusty had a pretty good speech nailed down on the efforts to preserve what's left, a few modern buildings is putting it kinda lightly. I used to eat my lunches up there a few years ago, before they put in the "Battlefield estates". There's nothing like a suburban sprawl to ruin a man's view and lunch.
                [FONT="Lucida Console"][I]Dan Morgan[/I][/FONT]
                [I]Doggery Boys[/I][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

I stood on Henry House Hill at Manassas back in April and was really amazed with the view. For the complete 360 you could not see one modern thing. Of course, Rt. 234 and 28 are there but, what the heck, they were present during the war. We have to thank the US Gov't for perserving a great chunk of this battlefield and the scene just described. Unfortunately, if battlefields are saved in the future, it will be accomplished at the grassroots level like we have seen in recent years. A portion of the Kernstown Battlefield was saved in this way. Yep, there are modern buildings present but there are over 200 acres of a great looking battlefield, complete with a period home that begs to be interpreted and supported.
                  Phil Maddox
                  Hedgesville Blues
                  "He playeth 'eucre' with the parson, whether there shall be preaching in camp on the Sabbath, and by dexterously turning jack from the bottom of the pack, postponeth the service." - Camp of the "Turned-Over and Used-Ups," Sept. 27, 1862.

Comment

Rideshare?

Anyone heading to Kernstown from the VA Peninsula and would like to share the ride/gas/drive?

I am pretty good company and can listen to nearly all forms of music.

PM/email if you are interested.

trekbiker1500@verizon.net
                    Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

Jason, try Paul Herring at herringnva@cox.net
                      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Comment

Re: Rideshare?

I had fun. How about you?

(Grumpy Dave's rain curse is broken.)
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles and all,

I had a great time. Getting to camp and fight on an actual battlefield and raise money for preservation is always a great experience. The Federal company was a great group of guys to share the experience with and I thank them for letting me fall in with them. The minstrel show was absolutely hilarious and a blast to be a part of. Three cheers for Dusty and Charles for putting on such a great event! I hope we were able to raise enough awareness to keep the city of Winchester from swallowing up such an important location in ACW history.

Thanks again,
                          Sowbelly McPhee
                          a.k.a. Bob Bowser
                          Bob Bowser

Comment

Thanks to all the guys who came out. It was great meeting a lot of folks for the first time. From my perspective, the demos and "battle" recreation came off very well. Yeah, I had fun. It was great to work with Chris Piering and Dusty to put the scenarios together. A special thanks to all the acts in the minstrel show and Pete McCarthy for heading it up. And I believe we raised a pretty good chunk of change for KBA..........Jerry Stiles

Comment

Final tally for the stonewall:

$2,745.00

Thanks to all who contributed
                              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Comment

Dusty,
                                Is there an estimate of the total needed for the current project?

Dave Myrick

Comment

Working...
                                X