Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers Bridge, Feb 2-4, 2007

Gents,

I wrote an long and detailed post about this event and all it's positives only to lose it having to sign back in...sigh. Anyway, Rivers Bridge is an event located along the Salkahatchie River near Ehrhardt, SC, very near the original battlefield. It has all the elements of the excellent Averasboro events from past years. Some of my best memeories come from those events BTW.

The PLHA and interested parties (insert 'solicitation' here) will be conducting first person scenarios at this great little event on historically similar ground as an 'event within an event'. Other well known members of the board have attended in the past so don't start trying to call me a farb or something! Seriously, the event hosts have literally bent over backwards to accomocate our requests. We'll have a very large portion of the works and will run scenarios for ourselves and the public replicating elements of the Feb 4, 1865 engagement.

Our impression will be Co. C, Bullock Guards, 47th Georgia. The 47th had an illustrious career out West with the AOT and had been transferred back to SC to act as a rail-riding, quick reaction force between Charleston and Savannah. Standards are a mixed bag as the 47th was most likely receiving clothing from Charleston as they arrived in June, 1864 I believe. In the past we've allowed:

Columbus Jackets
    Civilian clothing
    B/G Kersey, etc.
    Taits

If you need to think hard about appropriate impression standards, this event may not be for you. We may very well have an artillery piece to crew also. No rations, ammunition, etc will be provided but digging implements are encouraged. No big formalized registration either. If interested, please email me at: ironscout@truvista.net

I'll be posting more later. This is a great little event on great property. A goodly number of this board will be in attendance; I'll let them chime in.

Regards,

Neill Rose
    PLHA
    803-309-0122

Re: Rivers Bridge, Feb 2-4, 2007

This will also be a good meet up, prior to BGR for everyone in the Southeast. A number of the Union men for BGR and some of the Immortal 600 people will also be there. A great place to make final preparations, rehearse and enjoy RB. Although classified as "mainstream" I can attest that the PLHA does all it can too make it a quality event.

Sincerely
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Gents,

A few useful links for those attending and/or considering:

TruVista is the #1 rated Cable & Internet Provider Serving SC and Georgia (Chester, Camden, Winnsboro, Great Falls, Commerce, Soperton, Tifton)

Event Maps

Last edited by Iron Scout; 12-16-2006, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Don't let the "mainstream" association deter you. Neill and the PLHA are a class act and really do put on an "event within an event". I was fortunate to turn out with them at Seccessionville this year and we were a veritable authentic island in an ocean of mainstreamers. We had some otherwise mainstreamers galvanize with us and I think that a few may have been turned to the "dark side." A great time was had by all, and I'll be in the ranks again if they'll have me.

Besides, it will give me a good excuse to break in my CJ Dailey English overcoat!

Jeff
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jeff Schnakenberg[/FONT]

Formerly of the Palmetto Living History Association (PLHA)
        Now a reluctant member of The Pentagon Puzzle Palace Godawful Mess

Comment

Folks,

Just a bump regarding this event. We've had a good bit of interest and are planning a great time at a wonderful event site. The event organizers have given us everything we've requested too. The links all relate to directions, 47th GA unit history and battle summaries. Good stuff; hope to see y'all.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Neill Rose
          PLHA
          ironscout@truvista.net

Comment

Neill,

How do I register for this event? My pards and I have been unable to get in touch with you, via e-mail.

Thanks,
            Jim Jones

Comment

Jim:

I believe you will be able to walk-on and register once you arrive.
              Gregory Deese
              Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
              "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Awesome! What about joining up with Neill & co? I am guessing we just arrive and find the group.

Thanks,

Jim Jones

Comment

I will see you guys there! I can't wait. Me and a buddy are driving down from the NC mountains that Friday evening.
                  Derek Carpenter
                  Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Jim, etc.

Sorry for any lack of communication on my part. My new email is: ironscout@truvista.net. We're expecting a nice sized company if not more for this event. Make sure to bring any period digginig impliments you may have, etc. Also remember rounds, caps and rations for yourself as we're keeping this one simple. We may have a kettle of my famous Lowcountry rice pudding at some point though.

Please make sure to study the 47th's unit history and the battle information as it obviously will assist first-person efforts. The spectator line will be about 20 yards behind us so good, educational interaction is needed. Just touring the state park and battlesite on Sunday morning may be worth the trip. Once you arrive onsite, simply proceed to the registration area and sign in under the PLHA sheet. After that, proceed to the works and you'll find us! Pretty simple, eh?

If y'all need any more information, etc. please fell free to call me too. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Regards,

Neill Rose
                    PLHA
                    803-309-0122

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Scout View Post
                      We may have a kettle of my famous Lowcountry rice pudding at some point though.
                      Neill,

Your rice puddin' would make the drive down to the Palmetto state worthwhile in itself. If real life doesn't get in the way too terribly bad, I hope to see you in a few days.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Great,

I hope everyone has a safe trip down. We should have a good group too!

Neill Rose
                        PLHA

Comment

Well,

This event is one us and so is the cold weather! For those familiar with "the bridge", the weather is about what we expect and in keeping with tradition. I hope those coming will travel safe too. Remember, review the links on our unit history. Any other last minute folks interested can feel free to contact me, etc.

Regards,

Neill Rose
                          ironscout@truvista.net
                          803-309-0122
                          PLHA

Comment

Hey Fellas,

The 47th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment was situated in the line on the extreme left of the Confederate line. They acted as the brigades vanguard as the brigade pulled out losing in the process their colors. In the whole of the engagement the 47th Georgia Volunteer Infantry regiment only lost one dead and eight wounded. Those missing supersedes that with 34 missing.

Check out Col. Harrison's report for the engagement withthe tallies for his command under Gen. McClaw's including the 32nd and 47th Geo. Volunteer Infantries, the 5th Geo. Reserves and Earle's Baty.

Regards,
                            Savannah Republican Blues
                            [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
                            James F. Dunigan III
                            1st Company, Co. "C" 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                            "Savannah Republican Blues"[/center]

Comment

Working...
                            X