Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Officer's School

Gentlemen,

In conversations with several friends, two of the key issues facing the hobby are communication, both between impressions (blue vs gray) and organizations, and the lack of true officer training in the proper use of Combined Arms.

Going beyond the drill and outside the box, to incorporate all three arms both authentically and safely will add greatly to the experience of the participants at a reenactment.

The Date is set for the March 9-11, 2007, at Old Bedford Village (The web site for the village is http://www.memberbbb.com/bedfordvillage.html) which has around 40 period houses, a school house for classes and a Period Tavern for a Saturday Night Social.

There will be a dual impression (both sides) officers weekend focussing on the 1862 Army Officers Companion and leadership skills,.

This program would not be intended to preach at anyone, but rather to work together, as a team, to increase our knowledge and cooperation.

There would be a Saturday night social at a period tavern, and period homes for each organization.

There would be no instruction on company or battalion drill, but the topics discussed are-

This year we will have both mandatory classes, and then Electives, with all students attending the Mandatory classes and choosing 2 electives

Mandatory Classes

Leadership
    Employment of Artillery
    Employment of the Mounted Arms
    On the Battlefield- the combined use of arms

Elective Classes

Military Etiquette/ Period Etiquette
    Map making and field reports
    Evolutions of the Line
    Outpost and Grand Guard
    Field Paperwork and Period Penmanship

This is a good deal to accomplish, and each topic would be addressed by different instructors from various groups, making the effort a true team program.

A program like this would go a long way towards creating a better team atmosphere and long lasting working relationships that will better the hobby and give the boys in the ranks better experiences. I do not expect the weekend to be all inclusive of all the materials we would ever require, but rather a starting point, from a "How to be an Officer for Dummies" period handbook. Can't argue that is the place to start. Just wetting the proverbial appetite, and enjoy the fellowship are the goals.

There are no know it all’s at this, just folks working together to help each other. No lines between organizations, sides or method of reenacting, going back to the basics and taking it directly from period sources.

It is truly a great site, and you would be staying in period houses, with period fireplaces and we would host the training in a period school house they have on site. The Tavern would be used for meals and a Saturday night social.

Bedford Village is a non profit organization, and requires a $12 fee per person to attend such a training weekend, which includes firewood and the full use of the town, which would be "rented" to us for the weekend.

For food my long -suffering wife, Laura Anders, has agreed to organize period meals on site, and for those who came to previous camps of instruction, you have a good idea how good it is. She would request the assistance of any ladies in your groups who would wish to help her in the preparation and serving of the meals. Any ladies assisting will receive a $20 discount on registration.. She plans on serving 3 meals Saturday, and 1 on Sunday morning.

With the use of the period houses, you may bring whatever sleeping gear you require. Period dress, blue, gray or civilian, as you prefer.

Housing assignments will be made by organization, and couples may request individual housing.

The total fee for the weekend, including the meals and housing would be $35. Any funds left over will be donated to the village as well. For those ladies assisting Laura, the fee would be just the $15. All students will receive a Bugle Call CD and a copy of Outpost and Grand Guard and Troops on Campaign.

To make the program work, we would require at least 20 participants, and with preliminary emails, we have many officers from many various organizations who are attending, and we will limit the total to 60. I am truly encouraged by the number of folks, from 8 different organizations, who have responded to me, and I feel that the collective efforts of all involved will pay off in 2007 and beyond.

I would hope to have all on site by 8pm if possible, for a welcome reception in the Tavern, and end the program around noon on Sunday, to allow for travel. It truly is a wonderful period place for such an activity, and is located only about an hour west of Hagerstown Md. I hope you embrace this program, as the chance to work together to learn and build partnerships that will benefit us all, and the boys we serve.

I wanted to post this, as there may be officers who may be interested in the program who have not received the email I circulated.

If you are interested please email me to reserve a slot, and registration forms and general information will be posted on the CVG site at www.chesapeakevolunteerguard.org in the next week or so.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Re: 2007 Officers School

I am interested. Any GVB, WIG, or Others condiering, contact me. Maybe, we could share a ride?
    Houston White
    Tenth Texas
    Houston White

Comment

Chris,

I believe you and Randy have been talking about this, if we're your artillery, my wife, Phyllis enjoyed working with Laura this past artillery school. She'll undoubtedly come up and help her again.

s/f

Dan
      Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
      (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Dan,

That is the plan, and would love to see both of you again. Be sure to tell the better half "Hi" for me.

I have real high hopes for this program.

Pards,
        S. Chris Anders

Comment

Mr. Anders,

I am very interested in attending this event. Could you please send a reminder to this thread when your web site been updated with the event information?

Thanks
          [FONT=Courier New]Mark Maranto[/FONT]

Comment

Will do. I expect that will be by Friday.

Pards,

Chris
            S. Chris Anders

Comment

The web site for the Bedford Officers School is now up at www.chesapeakevolunteerguard.org

Registration is officially open and restricted to 60 participants.

Pards,
              S. Chris Anders

Comment

Chris:

Is being an officer a requirement for attending the event or could one of us excutive privates attend and bring back the knowledge to our unit?

Kace
                Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
                7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

Kace,

Anyone can attend, but they must do an officer impression for the weekend, so sew on some straps and come on out.

BTW- this is because we are not seperating the classes between officer and enlisted, easier logistically.

Pards,
                  S. Chris Anders

Comment

Mr. Anders,

I will be mailing in my registration either today or tomorrow. I do have one question on the Outpost and Grand Guard class. Will the class just go over the Book or actually physically show how to setup a grand guard, picket line, and etcetera? I just wanted to know so I can pick the right classes to attend.

Thanks

Comment

Mark,

We are still fleshing out the details of the classes with the instructors, so I do not have a hard answer for you yet.

As the details are created we will be posting short descriptions on the web page under the "classes" portion.

I imagine it will be more instructional from the manuals, we have discussed the evolution of tactical security from Mahan's to #69.

At the Camp of Instruction we will cover the actual postings outside.

That is being planned in conjuction with the NCO School the first weekend of April.

Pards,
                      S. Chris Anders

Comment

Thanks you have answered my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Rover View Post
                          Dan,

That is the plan, and would love to see both of you again. Be sure to tell the better half "Hi" for me.

I have real high hopes for this program.

Pards,
                          Chris,

I will and be sure to pass ours to your Bride.

S/F

Dan
                          Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                          (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Chris,
                            Pursuant to our conversations at the Antietam Illumination Ceremony on December 2, 2006:
                            Yes, I will include the Officers School at Old Bedford Village in my business calendar and attend as a bona fide registered member, to document the proceedings photographically.
                            My official registration, and payment, will follow by regular snail mail.
                            Julio C. Zangroniz

Comment

Folks.

Registration is about half full, so be sue to go ahead and register soon. Chris Daley is coming to work as a tailor and offer officer goods as well as we are working with Bob Szabo to have a period photographer on site.

More details including class schedules will be availible inthe next few weeks at www.chesapeakevolunteerguard.org

We are looking forward to seeing you all there.

Pards,
                              S. Chris Anders

Comment

Working...
                              X