Down the Valley Scenarios/Portrayals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down the Valley Scenarios/Portrayals

Since we have a large contigent of c/p/h folks coming to this evnet in June 15-17, 2007, I wanted to list the scenarios and unit portrayals in case you did not receive the email.

The event will feature tighly scripted scenarios, as in the past at To the Gates of Washington and Sumemr of 62, and like this years September Storm.

Todd Kerns is Handling CS Cav, Jerry Todd and Tom Craig are doing US Cav, Michael Martorelli is handling US Artillery and Bob Denton CS Artillery.

Danny Snyder is the CS Commander and Kevin Air is the US Commander, with the same teams in place that you all have worked with before.

I am helping Danny on the CS side and helping organize the event...this is the first post on the event on the AC, and I ahve posted this because so many folks on this board have attended past efforts by this team, and I did not want to fail to communicate with all of you...any how here are the scenarios and portrayals-

First of all many, many thanks to Curtis Utz for his assistance with the research. We have worked to put together two great scenarios for the Down the Valley Event, the 145th Anniversary of Jackson's Valley Campaign.

We this event we are depicting portions of the Battles of First Winchester and First Kernstown. Both battle's featured intense fighting and manauving by both sides.

Anyhow, here are the unit we plan to portray for each scenario. If there is a specific unit you wish to portray, please email me at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com

1st Kernstown

Federal Forces

Battery A- 1st WV Artillery

1st WV Cavalry

5th Ohio Inf
    7th Ohio Inf
    8th Ohio Inf
    1st WV Inf
    14th Ind Inf

Confederate Forces

7th Va Cavalry

Rockbridge Artillery- one section
    Chew's Battery- one section

37th VA Inf
    5th Va Inf
    21st Va Inf

2nd Va Inf
    4th Va Inf
    27th Va Inf

And now the Units for 1st Winchester

Confederate Forces

Alleghany Artillery- One Section
    Rockbridge Artillery- one section

2nd Va Cavalry

6th La Inf
    9th La Inf
    21st NC
    1st MD Inf
    27th Va Inf
    10th Va Inf

Federal Forces

Battery M, 1st NY

1st MI Cavalry

4th Pa Inf
    5th Ct Inf
    2nd MA Inf
    27th Ind Inf
    29th Pa Inf

Some units have already requested some impressions, so do email me soon if you have a preference.

Rob Childress is working to update the web site, located at http://www.cedarcreekbattlefield.org/ and I thank him for his hard work on this effort as well.

Please email me with any questions.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Period Play at DTV

All,

At the Down the Valley event, June 15-17, 2007, the New Old World Theater Company will be performing Our American Cousin Saturday Evening.

This performance recieved great reviews at the Summer of '62 event, and will feature period props and lighting effects.

For more information on Down the Valley, go to http://www.cedarcreekbattlefield.org/DTV/index.htm

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders

Comment

Re: Period Play at DTV

Originally posted by Wild Rover View Post
      All,

At the Down the Valley event, June 15-17, 2007, the New Old World Theater Company will be performing Our American Cousin Saturday Evening.
      This is good to hear. I missed seeing them at So62 (as I was hunkering under my shelter half in the drizzle) and hope I don't have cause to miss their performance again.
      Charles Kibler
      Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
      Robert E. Lee

Comment

Re: Down the Valley Scenarios/Portrayals

Gents,

Just a short note that Federal Cavalry updates will be posted on the Down the Valley web site (http://www.cedarcreekbattlefield.org/DTV/index.htm) in the next few days.

Many thanks to Dave Myrick for his hard work on these, and all questions concerning Federal Mounted Participation should be directed to Dave at dmyrick@mainecav.org

Sinc-
        S. Chris Anders

Comment

Gents,

Just a short note to advise you that the $15 registration deadline for Down the Valley is coming up fast. (April6, 2007)

Registration forms can be found out- http://www.cedarcreekbattlefield.org/DTV/index.htm
          S. Chris Anders

Comment

Federal Cavalry- Down the Valley

Gents,

There seems to be some confusion about participation as Federal Cavalry for the 145th Valley Campaign event being held at Cedar Creek on June 15-17, 2007.

Some folks have mentioned to me that they have not been personally invited to attend, and as such they feel they cannot participate.

This is not true. If you contact the Federal Cavalry Commander- Dave Myrick- and meet the mounted rules and regulations as posted on the event web site you are "invited" to attend.

I think this was a minsconception I caused, and for that I apologize, as the Federal Cavalry at the event has very key roles to play- no pre- battle dance of the saber fairies- but rather true documented actions.

On Saturday for Kernstown they will portray the 1st WV Cavalry, and get to perform the ideal task for any mounted force- that of attacking a fleeing infantry brigade and scooping up prisoners. As a side note these prisoners become the first POW's at Fort Delaware. On Sunday they portray the 1st Michigan Cavalry, and at the end phases of the battle of Winchester, they charge forward to assualt the far Confederate left flank, in a vain attempt to save the failing Federal Right, buying time to get the Federal guns off the field.

Combine that with scouting and advanced guard duty while on Saturday's march, you get a great mounted program for the weekend.

I just wanted to put this out so folks have a better understanding of the registration process and the roles they can play if they attend as Mounted Federal Cavalry.

Please contact me at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com, or Dave Myrick at dmyrick@mainecav.org with any questions or if you would like to attend, and please pass this on to your mounted friends.

We look forward to seeing you there,

Pards,
            S. Chris Anders

Comment

AAR -- "Down the Valley"

Well, I had fun. One of my New Year's resolutions was to write shorter AARs, but this still runs seven pages. Short version: more ups than downs at "Down the Valley." Enjoy.
              Attached Files
              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Re: AAR -- "Down the Valley"

Michael,

Can you email it to me, for some reason I cannot download it. It says the font cannot be displayed.

Thanks,
                S. Chris Anders

Comment

I thought DTV was a great event. Really neat to see the Camp Chase fife and drums drum someone out of camp.
                  Tyler McHone
                  Tyler McHone
                  Liberty Rifles

Comment

Working...
                  X