Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authenticity discussion by Les and Juanita Jensen, on 3-4 March.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authenticity discussion by Les and Juanita Jensen, on 3-4 March.

Eric, these lectures are certainly good enough for the "other" events folder. Nice to see some education going on at an otherwise commercial weekend conceived by the usual tourist town hucksters, etc.

Charles Heath

Moderators, I don’t know if this is the appropriate folder for this post as it is not an “authentic event”. Please move as needed.

For anyone interested there will be a Living Historian Appreciation weekend in Gettysburg on 3-4 March. Activities include talks by Les Jensen and his wife Juanita Leisch Jensen on the following:

Saturday
    10am - Civilian Roles in Civil War talk by Juanita in old Colt Museum building
    11am - Winter Huts talk by Les in old colt Museum building
    11am - Women's Fashion Show in Gettysburg hotel building
    2 pm - Women's Fashion Show (repeated) in Gettysburg hotel building
    3 pm - Typology of Confederate uniform jackets by Les in old Colt Museum building

Sunday
    1pm - Children and the Civil War talk by Juanita in old Colt Museum building
    2pm - Women's clothing talk by Juanita in old Colt Museum building

All events are free, except that there's a $5 charge to get in to fashion show if you're not in period dress. Juanita said the Fashion Shows are supposedly filling up fast.

Best,
    Last edited by Smokey Toes; 02-27-2007, 08:16 PM. Reason: Moved to events folder.
    [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
    [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Re: Authenticity discussion by Les and Juanita Jensen, on 3-4 March.

Thanks for posting this! I may have to open the store late on Saturday to check out the winter huts talk.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Gents,
      If you have not had the opportunity to sit in on one of Les Jensen's lectures before, this is a real treat. I've been to two lectures (my first at age 11) and I thoroughly enjoyed them. His wealth of knowledge and his background alone is worth the trip to experience. Most people on this forum SHOULD have already read some of his work that is online at the Company of Military Historians website.

Cheers,
      Cheers,
      [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Originally posted by VA-Patriot'61 View Post
        Most people on this forum SHOULD have already read some of his work that is online at the Company of Military Historians website.
        That article is 20 years old and while new jackets have been uncovered and Les himself has tweeked the theories, I think it's still one of the best written on the topic. Les has forgotten more about CS jackets than I'll ever know. He's always willing to talk about his research and always willing to answer a question.

For those of you who have just joined the authentic side of the hobby, or haven't read this in a few years, please take a gander by clicking here: http://www.military-historians.org/c...federate-1.htm
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Another excellent resource from Les Jensen for newer initiates:

Johnny Reb: The Uniform of the Confederate Army, 1861-1865 (G.I. Series) (Paperback) by Leslie Jensen.

Got mine on Amazon for about $4.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I urge everyone who can make it to attend as many of these as you can - Juanita and Les are always entertaining and the info of course is excellent. I don't see their critique of Gone With the Wind presentation, but that is also oustanding and Juanita may mention it in the other presentations. Les also gives an excellent presentation on "Depot Women" in the clothing and armaments industries.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
            X