Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennesaw Mountain LH July 28-29, 2007

Gents,

On July 28 and 29th the Armory Guards will be hosting a Living History at Kennesaw Mountain National Park in Cobb County, Ga. We will be portraying the 26th Alabama Infantry of Polk’s Corps. We will be using the fields and nice shady areas next to the Visitor Center for the demonstrations. The program will consist drilling as a company, platoons, talks about the soldiers of the Army of Tennessee, and skirmish drill. Robby Mitchell will be heading things up at the event so come ready to drill! These drills will also be used as practice for Corbin’s company at the Chickamauga LH in the fall. The programs will begin Saturday morning around 9am and end on Sunday mid afternoon. Feel free to come out Friday evening to camp at the park, there are plans for some of us to be there that night. Saturday we will be camping out in the fields again, but we will go into downtown Kennesaw for some dinner and fun. There will be some rations issued for lunch on both days, so if you wish to bring your own food please make sure it is period correct and wrapped in correct containers and wrappers. Also on late Saturday afternoon when it has cooled down some of us are planning a small march around the park to visit some of the monuments.

Here is some historical information about the 26th Alabama that Robby Mitchell has posted on the Armory Guards website:

“The 26th Alabama Inf. which served under Polk's Corps (under command of Wm. Loring), Walthall's Division, Cantey's Brigade (com. by Col. Edward A. O'Neal 26th Ala.)

This is a pretty interesting unit as they served in both the AoT and the ANV and also served as prison guards for a brief time at Camp Sumter (Andersonville). They saw action in the following engagements prior to Kennesaw Mtn: Ft. Donelson, Yorktown, Seven Pines, Gaines Mill, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, South Mtn., Sharpsburg, and Mine Run. Due to heavy losses in Virginia they were sent south to recruit and serve as the aforementioned Andersonville prison guards in early 1864.

Orders were issued on June 7, 1864 to join the command of the AoT. Their first serious engagement appears to be along the Lost Mtn. and Kennesaw Mtn. lines. They seemed to frequently serve as the skirmish regiment for O'Neal's brigade at Kennesaw. The following is a report from the Kenn. engagement:

"Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia
    Col. Edward A. O'Neal, Twenty-sixth Alabama Infantry, commanding Cantey's Brigade (36)
    In obedience to circular order of the 30th of June I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the troops of this brigade on the 27th of June, the day the enemy assaulted our lines.
    The enemy attempted to charge our line of skirmishers, commanded by Capt. Sid. B. Smith, but did not succeed in approaching more than from 30 to 100 yards, and were handsomely driven back.
    In this affair we had none killed and but 8 wounded. The loss of the enemy compared with ours was heavy, at least 40 or 50.
    Captain Smith, his officers and men, behaved with great gallantry, and firmly held their line. This was the only attempt to carry our line, and since this effort but little fighting has occurred except shelling the line of pickets. Enclosed I send you a list of casualties since we have been in line of battle on this mountain*.
    I am, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant.
    E. A. O'Neal Col. commanding Brigade"

*I've found this casualty list and there were no casualties from the 26th Alabama on the list for this battle on the 27th but I've found casualties on June 24, according to various official reports and books there were various skirmishes around Kennesaw Mountain leading up to the big Battle. (from 26th Ala. website - www.rootsweb.com/~alcw26/26thala.htm )

It would appear that this particular regiment was posted in close proximity to the visitor's center and was probably the very regiment who dug the rifle pits that are situated along the base of the mountain.”

For gear we will be using the same guidelines as we did at the Pickett’s Mill LH in May and in order to save space on the forums I’ll just post a link to the guidelines.

Gear Guidelines: http://pickettsmillpark.org/LHS.htm

Since it is July in Georgia it will be nice and warm so water consumption is the order of the day. If you are interested in attending please let me know so I can mark you as attending.
    Last edited by Coatsy; 06-14-2007, 11:10 AM. Reason: I R SMRT!
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: Kennesaw Mountain LH June 28-29, 2007

I just wanted to post some small updates for the Living History program. We will definitely be working on the different aspects of skirmishing so it would do some good to review Skirmish Drill. We will be using Hardee's Revised Tactics.

Also I've gotten postive repsonses for the mini march to some of the park's monument in the late afternoon/early evening on Saturday so that is still planned. Dinner on Saturday (and Friday, if you choose to arrive then) is still on your own.

For anyone that is planning on coming from a long distance off, please plan on staying for the program until around 1pm. Noon is when a lot of the visitors arrive and we would like to have a good group of reenactors present for the programs. We would like everyone to stay as long as they can.

Thanks all!
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Kennesaw LH July 28-29, 2007

Gents, there has been a little confusion as to the dates of the Living History. The dates are.....

Saturday July 28 and Sunday July 29th, 2007.

It is not this upcoming weekend. Hope this clears everything up.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Re: Kennesaw Mountain LH July 28-29, 2007

Gents,

The Kennesaw event (July 28 and 29) is fast approaching. I wanted to remind everyone who plans to attend to brush up on your drill. That would be School of the Soldier, Company, and Skirmish Drill. We will be using Hardee's Tactics f.y.i.

Please review the standards for the event as well. Although this is a static Living History program we will be doing some marching, manuvering, and on Saturday afternoon after the last program we are planning to march over to some of monuments around the park. So that means drink water and get some conditioning before the event. After all it is July in Georgia.

This is a list of those who said that they would attend the Living History. (In no particular order) If you wish to attend please let me know asap. We are providing rations for Lunch on Saturday and Sunday.

Tony Patton
        Terry Chadwick
        Burt Page
        Robert Collett
        Robert Saye
        Ricky Jones
        Hunter Poythress
        Andrea Jerram
        John Beaver
        Terry Hancock
        Johnny Pullen
        Caleb Benefield
        Herb Coats
        Dylan Nelson
        Herb Coats
        Allan Becton
        Kevin Whitehead
        Keith Whitehead
        Peter J. Miller
        Garrett Silliman
        Eric Bown
        Chris R. Henderson
        Tripp Corbin
        Sean Cooper
        Howard Davis
        Kiev Thomason
        CJ Davis
        Jordan Roberts
        Robby Mitchell
        Peter Julius
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Herb, sent you a PM
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Gents here is information about parking, rations, and rounds for the LH this weekend...

For those of you coming Friday night, the gate will be false locked (same applies for Sat. night). Parking will be adjacent to the two ranger houses located behind the visitor parking lot. Since we have a sizable number attending, we'll probably have some overflow onto the grass area close to the houses. I have been informed that there will be a sign designating the exact location. The main thing is NOT to park in the visitors' lot.

The park will be providing both caps and cartridges. That being said, I would still suggest that you bring at least 20 cartridges, placed in the lower portion of your tins. We could be firing quite a bit with the skirmish drills.

Please make sure that your weapon is clean (bore is truly clean with no rust and bolster & cone are clean) and in perfect working order (no loose screws, missing parts, etc.) For instance, one problem that seems to appear at any given inspection is a loose cone or loose lock screw. Please address any such items prior to Sat. morning.

You will be inspected by the NPS on BOTH Sat. morning and Sun. morning.

Rations will be provided. Please bring $4.00 to cover the costs. We will NOT provide rations for Sat. supper as that is traditionally when we head to town for the eats. Can Hooters accomodate 30 people?

We are also planning some sort of walking (perhaps riding) tour of the park Sat. after the last drill. At a minimum we'll visit the mountain top and perhaps Pigeon Hill.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Herb,

I'll be working all day Friday and it's about a 6 hour drive up there so I will probably need to come Saturday morning, What time do you expect we will get started?
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

Robert,
                I'd try to be there by 9AM at the latest, for inspection.
                [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

Thanks Howard, I should be there between 7:30 and 8:00. I just didn't want to come stumbling in late and disturb everyone who might be asleep. See you soon.
                  Robert Collett
                  8th FL / 13th IN
                  Armory Guards
                  WIG

Comment

I want give a hearty thanks to all that came out to the LH this past weekend. We had a nice microcosm of period weather during the weekend that consisted of Georgia heat, humidity, or rainstorms at any given time. The park staff was very pleased with us and hopefully this will open the park staff to letting us stretch our legs around the park in the future.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

It was a great time and kudos to the rations and those who prepared. Amazing how tasty someone can make salt pork, sweet potatoes, rice, corn, and cabbage prepared in different ways at each meal.
                      Robert Collett
                      8th FL / 13th IN
                      Armory Guards
                      WIG

Comment

I had high expectations going into this event, and they were exceeded. The rations( if you want to call it that) well, lets just say if you weren't there, there is no way you'd believe how good the rations were. Hats off to Terry Hancock.
                        The demos, and drill was a blast. Especially when we ticked off the Capt. and had to double quick, followed by a company into line while on the run!

Great time.
                        [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                        [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

Give right......give right......give right.......(snicker snicker in the tones of the 1Sgt and Cpl)...

LEFT DRESS!- RIGHT FACE!- AT THE DOUBLE QUICK, FORWARD MARCH!- YOU EARNED IT!!!
                          ..........priceless...:D
                          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                          WIG/GVB
                          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I believe thats Terry "The Chef" Hancock now. Had a great time, looking forward to Chickamauga. Many thanks to the Armory Guard for making us feel welcome.

Thanks
                            Tony Patton
                            Blue Ridge Mess
                            Tony Patton

Comment

Working...
                            X