Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Death March" 9 - Aug 10-12, Central NY

Posted on behalf of event coordinator Doug Oakes (oldsoldier51@yahoo.com):

On August 10-12, 2007, the Living History Guild (LHG) will host the ninth edition of the "Death March" event, formerly called the "Elmira Death March", the event is being moved this year from the Elmira, NY area to central New York State, near Marathon, NY. For the third year, this year's edition will feature opposing US and CS forces skirmishing along a six-mile long route. The event includes infantry, mounted cavalry, and civilian impressionists.

Despite its forbidding-sounding name, this event is really not that physicallly arduous, although the terrain this year is reportedly rolling, but not quite as demanding as the past couple Death March events. Participants do, however, need to the ability to carry all their kit in a pack or blanket roll over six miles while skirmishing--this is definitely a "campaign" event and participants will camp in different locations each night. The folks running it know their stuff and have successfully run eight prior, similar events.

Personally, I attended the Death March in 2005 and 2006 (as a Confederate sergeant each time) and had a very good time. Attached to this post are event standards, registration form, and historical background info.

Questions? Please don't contact me, because I'm not on the event committee. Contact Doug Oakes, oldsoldier51@yahoo.com.
    Attached Files

Re: "Death March" 9 - Aug 10-12, Central NY

I had fun. How about you?
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles and all,
      This event was terriffic. Doug Oakes outdid himself. The terrain was great and the weather was fantastic. Those that missed it should be kicking themselves. It was well worth the 8 hour drive.

Dave Myrick

PS. Hats off to you Charles for doing water chores.

Comment

Doug Oakes and the Beckwiths, Mike and Karri (the farm owners), really did a terrific job! I drove from WV to this event and it fulfilled the expectations I had of it. Beautiful NY country, some marching, an attack up a hill against very well prepared Confederate positions, nice camping areas, coyote pack option included Friday night (no additional charge), hospitable civilians who treated the soldiers well with home baked goods, some disloyal farmers, a hung straggler, fine men to soldier with (even the Canadian), and some other things which will come back to me at a later date. I smiled all the way home from this one! If you're in this area, or even if you're not, you should consider putting this on your calendar. Thanks again to all the organizers. Best event I've been to this season so far!

Neil Randolph
        1st WV

Comment

This proves again that quality events in the North for "campaigner" are possible. Let's hope that the upcoming "Lee's Retreat" in the Old Northwest is just as good or better as "Death March 9" was.

Comment

I was unable to attend this year due to a wedding, Our mess each also had family obligations, We went last year, The walking tour of NY country side is nice. I hope Doug & Brian we able to boost the blue number this year as they wanted. Hopefully the Federals will get the breastworks next year.
            regards,
            Bill O'Dea
            Salt Boilers mess

Comment

Sticky,

You, Ron, and the fellows were missed. To rub salt in the wound, there were fishing opportunities and wild blueberries aplenty. The land, weather, locals, and participants were wonderful. I look forward to seeing you guys at Fredericksburg in a couple of months.

P.S. Perfesser Tobey on "Twistabout" won the CS rodeo.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Charles,
                I had a great time! The scenery was absolutely beautiful, as was the weather. I had never been in that part of New York state before, but I sure plan to go back! Charging up that hill on horseback was a real thrill! The pork that was issued to us was first-rate, too! It's always good to be at events with top-notch reenactors. For instance, when local civilians stopped by our camp Saturday night for a "torchlight tour", we didn't have to scramble around hiding coolers, etc. I'm pretty sure our camp didn't look too much different than did the original boys'. Thanks again for your help with the water supply. There wouldn't have been an event without that essential ingredient!
                -Joey B
                Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Joey,

Here's a surprise.

Other than provide Terri with an extra set of hands, I had nothing to do with the water provision a Death March #9. The Living History Guild, one of the Potomac Legion member units, has a mobile watering rig, wooden barrels, and water huts similar to the ones we use to support Columbia Rifles' events, and the large ag tank on the trailer was from Mike and Karri Beckwith's organic dairy farm. Depending on the event, sometimes we've had our stuff consolidated to support larger efforts. All in all, we could support 300 men on a 32-mile march in 95 degree weather with just one set up. That's pretty neat, so if you ever get that Thornton River march off the ground....

For the folks who missed previous efforts, and may be interested in this event next year, take a moment to email Terri at olszowytm@yahoo.com, and tell her you want to be on the 2008 Death March mailing list. Just pronounce her last name "O'Chevy."

By the way, the "hog hair" on that pork was probably just some stray threads from the burlap. :p
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

No hog hair/burlap in the Union camp! We got fresh beef to cook up and carry. I cooked mine up and promptly carried it away, in my stomach! Pretty tasty! Liked those cinnamon applesauce cookies from the friendly civilians Saturday evening too.

Neil Randolph
                    1st WV

Comment

Charles,
                      Oh! I keep forgetting how dangerous it is to assume! Anyway, I still think you deserve thanks for making the long drive from Maryland to help coordinate the kabuki aspects of the event so we could enjoy immersing ourselves in an 1863 experience.
                      I didn't notice any "hair" on the hog. I guess I was too busy butchering it up into nice cookable-sized pieces to notice! That's when I noticed what high-quality meat it was. Tasted great too!
                      There might be a Edwards Ferry, Maryland, to Gettysburg march next year. If it develops I'll be in touch about that portable water system the Living History folks have put together.
                      -Joey B.
                      Joe Bordonaro

Comment

I echo the accolades! Great folks, great ground, great event.

Unfortunately, we were a little short in the cavalry department. Twenty-first-century traffic tieups meant a very late arrival of horses, and in the damp darkness we inadvertently burned our map in fruitless attempts to ignite a fire. But the next morning we got on the right road, which looked very much like Virginia, and did our duty. It was a great pleasure to coordinate with infantry who knows how to work with cavalry, and our amenities were excellent--though we didn't live up to cavalry foraging traditions--everyone got pie and wine but us!!

Nevertheless, a great time was had by all.

Andrew German
                        Andrew German

Comment

Andrew-
                          Upon closer interrogation, you might find the map was inadvertantly, on purpose, burned by one of those rascally rebels. With the late arrival of the US Cav commander, the info packet was helpfully taken in hand by one of your patriotically challenged comrades to insure timely distribution of materials. I'm surprised they did not burn theirs and keep yours as it had all the appropriate camps and US routes marked on it.
                          [I][B]Terri Olszowy[/B][/I]

Comment

There was no need for a map to find the hated yankee camps and route of march. I think we found them easier than the fed cav did. They werent too good at finding things anyway. They never found their eggs, much less any pie. We sure had some sweet ambush sites laid out too. Boy you should have seen that bugler jump when I sent a shot his way.

Dave Myrick

Comment

I will make sure that I send my husband with a bottle and a pie dedicated to your unit next year.

Originally posted by Andrew German View Post
                              everyone got pie and wine but us!!

Comment

Working...
                              X