Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS rations

All CS registrants,

As you all should know from the webpage and elsewhere, there will NOT be a ration issue at the event. I know that one company (Owens') is having a person in charge of commissary, but for those in the other two companies, here is an excerpt from John Worsham's work to let you know what the boys we will be portraying would have been issued. This list is from a section of his book from the winter after Fredericksburg, but as he alludes to, these were pretty average amounts and items.

"The regular rations allowed by army regulations were not sufficient, but we did not get the regular allowance even at the beginning of the war, when everything was plentiful. Here is the allowance of rations for men in the field--for each man:

1/2 lb. bacon or beef--daily.
    1 1/2 lbs. flour or corn meal--daily, or 1 lb. hard bread.
    For one hundred men:

8 qts. of pease or 10 lbs. of rice.
    4 qts. of vinegar.
    1 1/2 lbs. tallow candles.
    4 lbs. soap.
    2 qts. salt.
    6 lbs. sugar."

We would suggest that folks stick to these items when packing food for the event. As always, rations should be wrapped in period containers (pokes, paper, etc.) and all modern wrapping should be removed. If you would like to supplement your food or have special dietary needs, we ask that they be period food and correct for the time of year and wrapped as described above.

Please do not bring large cooking implements with you. Limit your mess gear to a correct fry pan, canteen half and utensils.

Final company rosters will be posted in this folder on November 1. We suggest that you form messes with pards within your company.

We would also suggest that participants eat a modern meal as close to arriving at the event as possible, so you are not hungry beyond what the rations will satisfy.

If you have any questions concerning this message, please contact me at dustyswb@verizon.net and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks

Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: CS rations

To answer the next question before it is even asked:

Right Here
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
    X