Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ATB/Slaughter Pen Weather Watch

Johnny,

No jinxing on your part, but I think I know who may be digging the sinks as an educational practicum for Station Training site #4 at the COI in April. ;)

Ley Watson, Farmer Douglas, the portajohn man (you'll remember him from Payne's Farm,a and he was ON TIME today), and some irascible Old Bald Man were on site today puttering about at various times. I stayed relatively comfortable in the rain with a flannel shirt over a tee shirt, so you hale and hardy visiting team folks should do just fine in your repop federal issue wool, and the home team will be toasty in that wunnerful wunnerful satinette and jeanwool. Skies were pretty clear just west of the event site, but Grumpy Dave hasn't arrived in his infamous Keystone State DUKW amphib vehicle just yet.

An unscheduled update after the last update to coincide with Johnny's news.

Friday 14 Nov 08
    High 65
    Low 56
    A 40% chance of rain.
    Cloudy early with showers for the afternoon hours. Highs in the mid-60s. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain.

Anyone with an open can of sardines may well find themselves with one or more feline companions. This is the place to adopt a barn kitty, but beware they aren't exactly house cats. Somebody feeds them, but you know how "friendly until fed" feral cats can be at times.

Saturday 15 Nov 08
    High 63
    Low 37
    Rain 40%
    Scattered showers, maybe a rumble of thunder. Highs in the low 60s. Lows in the upper 30s.

The silver lining about heavy cloud cover is it may keep the number of active operations down at the nearby airport.

Sunday 16 Nov 08
    High 52
    Low 31
    Rain 20%
    Windy with a mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 30s.

If you are a railfan, then you'll appreciate the variety of CSXT General Electric crew comfort cab locomotives running on the former RF&P tracks.

Saw Old Dominion gasoline for sale in the $1.72 range today, but mostly it is $1.85 or so. Not bad compared to a few months ago.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The RF&P (now CSX/VRE) rail line was chartered in 1834; it runs close by my house here in Brooke. In April of '63 the 124th NY, the Orange Blossoms, built and manned 2 redoubts protecting the tressel of the RF&P line crossing Accokeek Creek here in Brooke. The large redoubt is still here. The smaller is long gone and is now a garden spot/pasture. The redoubts are just on the other side of the tracks from home.
      Last edited by Prodical Reb; 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Michael,

Sometime when you are poking around a public library, look up the older railroad books by Richard E. Prince, and in that wonderful collection open a faded powder blue volume that covers not only the RF&P, but some of the more curious Virginia short lines. About 20 years ago, a more in depth book was published (black cover, as I recall) but I didn't grab that one when it was availabe. If you like looking at old fortifications along that line, the rifle pits from the Battle of South Anna were plainly visible by the masonry bridge piers between the Ashland Roller Mills (US 1) and the present day alignment of the railroad, and they may have continued further east, although 20 years ago I didn't see any there. The RF&P has still has some jewels along the right of way.

I have enjoyed seeing the trains during the site visits, even if they are very modern. This has to be one of the most difficult sites to reenact on due to the modern "improvements" along the edges, but at least it isn't planted in McMansions.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Nov 14 Today
          Areas of dense morning fog. Cloudy this morning with showers during the afternoon. High 62F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
          Nov 14 Tonight
          Rain. Thunderstorms possible...mainly overnight. Low near 55F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
          Nov 15 Tomorrow
          Thunderstorms in the morning, overcast during the afternoon with occasional rain - a rumble of thunder is still possible. High around 65F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
          Nov 15 Tomorrow night
          Rain early. Decreasing clouds late. Low near 40F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
          Nov 16 Sunday
          Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 30s.
          Brad Ireland
          Old Line Mess
          4th VA CO. A
          SWB

Comment

Brad,

Come to think of it, that Saturday afternoon forecast didn't say squat about the funnel cloud that rolled through New Post south of our location by about 5 miles. Well, fine.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Thank you to you and your wife for the hard work at this event. It really showed!
              Kyle Russell
              "Mister Bugler" per Charles Heath
              Federal City Brass Band &
              26th North Carolina Regimental Band

Into the Piney Woods
              Fort Moultrie
              Bummers

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                Weather watch calls for 70% chance of rain on Saturday on www.weather.com for Fredericksburg, VA...

Hop I don't jinx it... LOL

-Johnny Lloyd
                Well, I'll take the blame... I jinxed it. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...
                :D

Chawls... I think you didn't 'watch the weather' well enough, though... considering the rain and fun, freezing temepratures. But maybe you were? :wink_smil

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I guess that weather watch ended up with "Tornado Warnings."
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                  Past President Potomac Legion
                  Long time member Columbia Rifles
                  Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Johnny,

The weather on-site Thursday was far worse than what we had on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The latter ended up being a very pretty day, and the farm roads dried out enough for the "Zero Traction Ford F-250" to meander back to the reb line of mess fires to recover the leftover firewood. Nice to be able to do that, and at some point I do believe we'll need to have another stern lecture about fire safety, especially during windy conditions.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                    X