Fredericksburg drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fredericksburg drawings

Thinking about this event, wish I was going. I look forward to the AARs. This may be old hat to some of you, but this link takes you to 41 drawn images at the Library of Congress of the Fredericksburg battlefield, made as it was happening, or soon after:

Some are drawings that have been reproduced frequently, some are lithographs, some aren't digitized at all. At least one is from the Fredricksburg front at Chancellorsville in '63, but there are some really powerful first hand field sketches you may not have seen before by Waud and a few others. I attached what I thought was one of the more poignant images of dead Confederate pickets.
    As a side note, I recognized a famous photograph in one of the drawings and included details of both the drawing and the photo. It may be that they were both made at the same moment.
    Attached Files
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
    Independent Volunteers
    [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Re: Fredericksburg drawings

Todd,

The link doesn't work. Can you repost it?
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Dang. I bookmarked it and now it's dead. Sorry. I'll snake my way back to it later today.
      Independent Volunteers

Comment

Todd,

Thanks. On our way out to check the secondary water source today, Ley and I went through Hamilton's Crossing, and the place is difficult to recognize with the Rite Aid and CVS diagonally placed around the preserved micro-parcel at the Bowling Green Road intersection. Reminds me of the commercial growth around Salem Church, which is not all that far away. Gasoline was only $1.79 today, which is a nice change.

BTW, did Troy ever give you the top to that old Butch Baker coffee pot? I do believe he had it in his hands at Marmy's Raid, and even if the pot is beyond repair, that lid fits an issue mess cup as if it were made for that purpose.

Between Glendale-Malvern Hill, After The Battle/Slaughter Pen, and some other events, I am geting my money's worth from CWPT's fine maps produced by Steven Stanley. Orienting the map to the battlefield whilst actually standing there and seeing the terrain features is pretty nice, and educational, too. I can finally understand how the slight ridges parallel to the railroad tracks masked the confederates to some degree. We had to get past the NPS marker to be able to see the spring huts on the way out to relocate the wood and portajohns.

(Although not an approved vendor, the "Blue Ribbon Burger" at the Red Robin pad site at the Cosner's Corner shopping center is pretty darn good. For those who haven't been to Massaponax in a while, well, it sho' 'nuf ain't the sleepy little place it was just a few years ago.)
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I got that pot soldered and working. I didn't know Troy had the lid. You just end up with whatever you grab when you're looting a trash pile, I guess.

Library of Congress searches seem to be unstable when bookmarked and even harder to find later. Actually, Troy can probably find his searches again. He's a computer research ninja. I couldn't find mine.

To whoever's interested, if you follow these Rube Goldberg instructions it'll take you to those drawings.

Google 'Library Of Congress'
          The top Google pick will be 'Library Of Congress Home'
          Click 'Digital Collections' in the short list of options under that heading.
          On the page that pops up click 'Prints And Photographs'
          Click the big blue button that says 'Search The Catalogue'
          Enter 'Alfred Waud Fredericksburg' in the search box. You'll get 30 images.
          Hit the purple button that says 'Preview Images' for thumbnails.
          Root around for a while.
          Hit 'New Search' and enter 'Arthur Lumley Fredericksburg' in the search box. You'll get 7 images.

I include one of the Lumley sketches. You don't often see someone waiting to enter battle while sitting in the middle of the street in a rocking chair. Such was Fredericksburg.
          Attached Files
          Independent Volunteers

Comment

Todd,

The lid never made it to Winter 1864 2008, but after realizing how much you liked that old coffee pot, getting across the US of A seemed to be the right thing to do. Let's see how that worked....a coffee pot made in Missouri was bought in South Carolina.....run over in Pennsylvania....left in a western New York trash pile.... representing a Virginia winter encampment....extracted by a California fellow....the lid was given to an Arizona man by a fellow living in Maryland whilst they were both in Missouri....to give to the California man. That is just the recent history, as the best I can tell that little coffee pot has been to at least 12 states in its reenacting career. It is fun to pass something like that along.

Time to finish breakfast and get moving through the fog.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
            X