X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some CS info......

Hey Guys,
    Here's some CS background info for the After the Battle event. Enjoy...As a reminder we'll be portraying a contingent from the 21st Va....Jerry Stiles

HEADQUARTERS JONES' BRIGADE,

December 20, 1862 .

CAPTAIN: In obedience to orders from division headquarters, I respectfully submit the following report of the part taken by my brigade in the recent battle of Fredericksburg: I reached the ground on Friday evening, and was placed in position in the reserve line. On Saturday morning, 13th instant, I was directed to change my position to the left, and farther to the front, but still occupying a position in the reserve. My position subjected me to some annoyance from the shells of the enemy, one of which severely wounded the adjutant of the Forty-second Virginia Regiment. About, the middle of the day the musketry opened, when I was still farther advanced to within musketry range of the enemy. The front line not requiring support, I remained in this position the remainder of the day. In obedience to orders, l advanced at dawn next morning to the front, relieving Brigadier-General Lane. My command moved to this position under a heavy musketry fire from the enemy's sharpshooters, in which I had 1 man killed and several wounded. The completeness of the victory of Saturday not being known, officers and men expected soon to be engaged with the enemy in force, and it affords me pleasure to report that all were anxious for the encounter, and manifested a feeling of disappointment as the day passed on and no signs of an advance were given by the enemy. A brisk skirmish was kept up during the day, in which 1 sustained a loss of 57 officers and men killed and wounded. Among the former was Captain [T. S.] Ames, Company C, and Lieutenant [G. W.] Swoope, Company E, Twenty-first Virginia Regiment, both in the faithful discharge of their duty. The fighting was necessary to keep the sharpshooters from occupying the crest which commanded our line. Where all behaved coolly, gallantly, and equally well, I can speak of none in particular.' I can only say that the gallant little brigade, which has fought so gallantly and lost so heavily in the great battles of the past summer and fall, was ready to do its duty, and bear its part in making the shortest and most direct route to Richmond a hard road to travel. Very respectfully,

J. R. JONES,

Brigadier-General, Commanding.

Captain [W. T.] TALIAFERRO,

Assistant Adjutant-General.

John H. Worsham; One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry: His Experience and what He Saw During the War 1861-1865, Including a History of "F Company," Richmond, Va., 21st Regiment Virginia Infantry, Second Brigade, Jackson's Division, Second Corps, A. N. Va.

New York : The Neale Publishing Company, 1912.

Going at once to the depot, he boarded a train that was pulling out, and reached Guinea's about one or two o'clock on the 12th. Making inquiries, he learned that Jackson's corps had gone to the front, and after tiresome walking found his command at Hamilton's Crossing, awaiting orders to take its place in line of battle. On the morning of Dec. 13th, Jackson's division was assigned to Jackson's second line of battle and was lying down on the ground, awaiting the movements of the enemy. Gen. Jackson soon made his appearance along the line with a cavalcade of officers following him. He was dressed in a brand-new uniform, with the usual gold lace trimmings for a lieutenant general. He even had exchanged the old gray cap for a new bespangled one, and looked so unlike our "Old Jack" that very few noticed him, and none recognized him until after he had passed. Then the old accustomed cheer to him went up with unusual vigor! About ten o'clock the fog lifted, and the cannonading from the enemy commenced; it was awfully terrific, as, it is said, they had two hundred and fifty or three hundred guns, sending shot and shell at us! Soon afterwards the Yankees in our front made their advance. We were in the woods on a slight hill, that overlooked an immense open field. The number of the enemy visible to us gave the impression that the whole of the Yankee army was in our front! A battery to our right and front was pouring shot and shell into them as they advanced. We learned after the fight that it was Pelham's! What a grand and heroic stand he maintained during the battle! Jackson's artillery was posted along our front, but did not fire a shot at the advancing lines until they got within easy range, when all of it opened at once, and sent its hail of iron into the dense masses, making them stagger, then stop, and then retreat to a road, where they were protected by its banks and fences! An hour or so afterwards they made another advance, and this time with so much determination that they broke the first of our lines, and commenced the advance more vigorously; when our second line was ordered forward, and charged! After some stubborn fighting at several points, they were driven back along their entire line with great loss. They continued their retreat to the road and river bank. Their skirmishers and batteries kept up a fire during the whole day.

A splendid line of breastworks had been made around Marye's Hill, extending along the line of Generals Hill and Longstreet. They did not extend as far east as the position occupied by Jackson during the battle of Fredericksburg on Dec. 13. The fight in Jackson's front was a regular stand-up one; the only protection we had was such as the woods afforded. As evening advanced, Jackson arranged his lines; the second brigade occupying the railroad in the first line of battle. Here we awaited the expected advance of the enemy, and only wished they would come. Skirmish fire and fire from their far guns was kept up at intervals during the 14th. The next day the enemy asked permission to look after their wounded, who were in the field in Jackson's front. This was granted, and the pickets or sharpshooters of each army ceased firing, and entered into friendly converse, traded tobacco, coffee, and sugar. Night approached, and put a stop to this; and each man took his place in line, ready to shoot the man in his front on sight! The next morning we learned that the enemy had taken advantage of the night, and had crossed the Rappahannock. The fight on the left of Lee's line, at Marye's Hill, had been terrific, and the enemy had been slaughtered by thousands. The loss in Jackson's corps was not large, Brig. Gen. Gregg being amongst the killed. There was a larger number of cannon used in this battle than in any previous battle, the situation being such as to give them fine positions.

Re: Some CS info......

The cool thing about this is that CWPT was able to save 207 acres of this core portion of the battlefield and it is contiguous (large square), not all broken up. It has been in the hands of the family since the war, and remains as is, with the woods and the tracks on the west (and Fredericksburg NMP) and the road on the east, with a few farm buildings on the land. The drainage ditch and swale one can see today has not changed at all and the crest of the rise Jones' mentions still commands the field and was indeed the area skirmished over. The skirmish lines on Dec 14 had nary a particle of cover and was likely the reason for such high casualties on both sides. Both sides expected a renewal of the battle that never came. The truce was no doubt a great relief to reb and yank, who as usual transitioned from killing to fraternizing/helping the wounded and back to killing with hardly a second thought.

All the accounts Jerry lists took place largely on this land. It is truly where the real story of the battle took place...and cost a mere $12 million to save...and over 5000 casualties to make it sacred.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 07-27-2007, 01:07 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: Some CS info......

Good selection of a CS portrayal. After all, I have a copy of One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry, too.

:p

Comment

Working...
      X