Postponement of "After the Battle: Fredericksburg"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postponement of "After the Battle: Fredericksburg"

It is with much regret that the organizers of the "After the Battle: Fredericksburg" event, slated for October 26 - 28, 2007 must announce the postponement of the event.

The new date for the event is the weekend of November 14 - 16, 2008.

The primary reason for the postponement is the recent drought conditions in central Virginia and the need for the farmer on the property to maximize his income this year. He is leasing this sacred ground from the family that has held it since the war, and we want to allow him a chance to support his family as best he can.

Several improvements will take place on the property in early 2008, which will improve the participants' experience at the event.

All of you who registered will receive a full refund of your registration fee in early September.

Again, we apologize to those who had planned on attending, but we hope you will attend in November 2008. Feel free to contact me at dustyswb@verizon.net with any questions.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: Postponement of "After the Battle: Fredericksburg"

Dusty,

I am sorry to hear this news. I am relieved that we (as Living Historians) will not impact a noble profession such as a farmer (which is rich in our history) for this year.

I hope that my operational commitments with the US Navy will allow me to attend next year's event. (It is too far out to determine at this point whether I will be able to attend next year's event.) I was really looking forward to attending this event since it was first announced.

Is it possible for my registration to be applied as a donation for the CWPT instead of refund?

Very respectfully,
    Matthew Semple
    Matthew Semple

Comment

Can't other ground be found for the event? Say, some other state-owned property or another farmer's fields? What alternatives to postponement 'till late 2008 might exist?
      Last edited by Randy; 08-24-2007, 10:51 AM. Reason: Incomplete
      Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
      The swallows fly low
      Over the fields in clouded days,
      The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

I think the whole point is to portray what happened on this particular piece of recently-preserved ground. Finding other land is hard enough, and that would kill the planned scenario. I know Dusty and others put a ton of work into this event, and asking them to develop a brand new event in 2 months is a bit much.

-Craig Schneider
        Craig Schneider

Comment

It just so happens that there is another good event planned for the same weekend. So what if it is 11 hours west of the ATB sight? That is my contigency plan. I am darned happy about getting to go out there too.

Highly recommended if you must get a fix that weekend.
          Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

Comrades,

Yeah, I'm a tad unhappy about the situation as well. I've got just over $300.00 invested in round-trip bus and train tickets that are non-refundable. I had purchased them early in order to get both a discount for advanced purchase, and a reserved seat on the train, which often sells out.

Respects,
            Tim Kindred
            Medical Mess
            Solar Star Lodge #14
            Bath, Maine

Comment

As difficult as this decision was to make, it's the right one for the property manager. While it's unfortunate for us to have to postpone it from a reenactor standpoint, it'd be worse to ruin a man's livelihood by holding onto the 2007 event date.

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              Can't other ground be found for the event? Say, some other state-owned property or another farmer's fields? What alternatives to postponement 'till late 2008 might exist?
              Nope, sad to say. First, the idea has always been to hold this on the actual ground--that's why CWPT invited us to host the event in the first place--and this is really the last piece of open ground on the Fredericksburg battlefield where an opposing forces event can be held (i.e., outside the bounds of the NPS park, for now). To be honest, CWPT is the site owner and their goals for the event must be respected; their goals are to highlight the history of this site that CWPT fought so long ot acquire, and for which they paid a record (for CWPT) $12+ million.

Comment

Tim,

That probably qualifies you for an honorary membership with the Lazy Jacks.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles,

Yeah... I feel their pain. It's not the first time it's happened to me. I suspect that in the future, I'll simply hold off on purchasing until the last minute, even though it'll cost me more for the tickets.

respects,
                  Tim Kindred
                  Medical Mess
                  Solar Star Lodge #14
                  Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine View Post
                    Comrades,

Yeah, I'm a tad unhappy about the situation as well. I've got just over $300.00 invested in round-trip bus and train tickets that are non-refundable. I had purchased them early in order to get both a discount for advanced purchase, and a reserved seat on the train, which often sells out.

Respects,
                    Tim - check with the company and see if you can change to the same route, different days and plan to attend some other event in the area, even the same deal next year. I was able to change my ticket that way for a reasonable fee. Failing that, see if a note from one of us would do something.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,

Oh, I can use them for a later trip, as long as it's the same route, etc. Problem is, they are only good for a year, so if the date is changed to november, that sort of doesn't work. Oh well..... stuff happens.

Respects,
                      Tim Kindred
                      Medical Mess
                      Solar Star Lodge #14
                      Bath, Maine

Comment

Some of you are thinking of going to Outpost III as a plan B. I'm getting a Bully Buy together from multiple vendors to make coats in time for the event. There has been alot of talk of guys wanting to go, but not having Western Confederate coats. That will be remedied and announced in the Bully Buys very soon.
                        Matt Woodburn
                        Retired Big Bug
                        WIG/GHTI
                        Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                        "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

I was sorry to hear about the event being postponed. I live about a mile away from this field and pass it every day on the way to work. This field is a real treasure and a victory for preservation. I will eagerly await the opportunity participate next year.

Mike Pretus

Semper Fidelis,
                          Mike Pretus
                          16th LA Inf

Comment

Working...
                          X