Frock Coats for Federal Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frock Coats for Federal Impression

I was hoping some of you more knowledgable people could help me out. I am looking to get a frock coat for the After the Battle event in Nov. but am striking out when I look at the various sutlers in the Approved Vendors section of this site. Could somebody send me in the right direction for getting a good quality federal frock? Also, does anybody know if there will be any upcoming "deals" for those going to this event?
    Thanks,
    [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
    [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
    New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Re: Frock Coats for Federal Impression

Originally posted by mattifatti View Post
    I was hoping some of you more knowledgable people could help me out. I am looking to get a frock coat for the After the Battle event in Nov. but am striking out when I look at the various sutlers in the Approved Vendors section of this site. Could somebody send me in the right direction for getting a good quality federal frock? Also, does anybody know if there will be any upcoming "deals" for those going to this event?
    Thanks,
    Nick ************ makes some really nice frock coats.
    http://www.nj************.com/OSCommerce/catalog/
    Kevin Barnes

Comment

This was asked recently...

I would also add County Cloth to that list.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

For the record, the sponsors are not planning any Federal "bully buys" for "After the Battle". Most of the kit is pretty ordinary and common among reenactors, and for those who don't have a frock coat, a bully buy could be organized, but participation a "bulk buy" where the price tag would probably be $400 per jacket would likely not be numerous, and many makers want a minimum number of orders for such a deal.

We ran a "bulk buy" on New York State jackets for Payne's Farm 2005 and got about 25 orders through it, but the price was a very-reasonable $190 per jacket.
        Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 01-18-2008, 06:20 PM. Reason: Non Tier 1 EBUFU Content

Comment

Thanks Kevin, I remembered seeing that particular bulk buy which made me hope for another one this time BUT I do understand your point. Thanks to all who replied. I will look into those vendors that were suggested.

Comment

Matt,
            I just ordered a Federal frock for the Antietam event from Don Smith at TMD. In my search for a vendor, I found that some do not like making Federal frocks. I also found that most vendors have a long delivery time, so if you need a Federal frock for 2008, I highly recommend that you order one ASAP.
            Regards,
            Dan McGraw
            GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
            GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

Ido intend on placing an order after I do a little more research. I noticed on the Authentic Campaigner's website that they reccomend Jarnigan for some goods and I noticed on that website that they have focks. Anybody have any input on this?

Comment

I would direct you to the thread I linked in my previous post for quality Fed frock coats. Several highly skilled craftsmen are listed and they do excellent work!

Jarnagin made some efforts some years ago to improve their leather goods (that is another discussion). However, to my knowledge, no corresponding effort was made in their clothing line.

For those looking for bargain-priced goods, I would recommend against doing so when it comes to your coat... ANY coat. Your coat and your hat are the most visible parts of your impression. Deficiences in quality/authenticity will be on full display.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Quote from a previous message:
                  "I just ordered a Federal frock for the Antietam event from Don Smith at TMD. In my search for a vendor, I found that some do not like making Federal frocks. I also found that most vendors have a long delivery time, so if you need a Federal frock for 2008, I highly recommend that you order one ASAP.
                  Regards,

Is there any knowledge as to why vendors do not like making Federal frock coats? It would seem that based on the price they ask, it would be one of the items that bring in the most money.

Frank Long

Comment

Long story short, the amount of time and handiwork that goes into a frock hardly accounts for the price vendors charge. When all is said and done, many of them are getting per hour less than minimum wage in making a frock. Relative to other products it is one of the highest dollar items one may ever purchase but when you look at all the work that goes into one compared to other items, its far more hassle when I assume that not everyone on this board is in the position to run out and buy one of these coats at the drop of a hat creating a small market for this product. This may be why many don't enjoy making them. Just my .02 though, as always I could be way off.
                    Charlie Thayer

"Confederates were looking for some shoes, which were in short supply in the South because of the Union Blockade. The Confederates received gun fire instead of shoes." Quote of a random student in one of my classes.

Comment

Frank,
                      I think that Charlie nailed the reason why some vendors do not like to make Federal frocks. Yes, a quality Federal frock is expensive, but I do not think that vendors are getting rich making them. It is a lot of work and the material is expensive also. Common enlisted CS frocks do not normally require the investment in time, labor and materials that an enlisted Federal frock requires. Therefore, CS frocks are made by more vendors and usually cost less.
                      Regards,
                      Dan McGraw
                      GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
                      GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

Fellows:

An excerpt from a post I made last February:

"It seems with federal frocks that designers decided to incorporate every one of the most difficult features used in period garment construction just to make things difficult, and what is more hid most of these things on the inside so you couldn't see them when the coat is being worn!

I've talked about this before but it may have been lost in the crash. Federal frocks are one of those items that should always be priced above $500. I estimate that they take approximately 30-35 hours to produce, have around $125.00 into materials, leaving around $375.00 to actually be made for their production. This figures to between $10.71-$12.50 per hour for constructing the most difficult standard issue item used in the war!

The bottom line is treasure those vendors willing to make an accurate reproduction of this garment, it is truly a labor of love!"

Best Regards,
                        Dan Wambaugh
                        Wambaugh, White, & Company
                        www.wwandcompany.com
                        517-303-3609
                        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

I've taken on promises to make a few of these coats for guys in the ONV and SGLHA for the Antietam event. Those guys will get a top notch coats, but the market just isn't there for any of use to go into full production.

As Dan pointed out, they take about a full work week to produce and I pay upwards of $75 for imported broadcloth...given the current market in the hobby, there aren't too many guys who are willing to wait a year for a good coat and then have to pay $600.00+ on top of the wait.

The only way to counter the wait/cost problem is to cut corners by buying cheaper fabric, spending less time on the details, or less time on the patterns...the AC Vendors here like Dan and I just aren't willing to go that route.
                          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I think it was Shaker Village, 2000... Mark Mason showed up wearing a jacket made by cutting the skirt off of a Fed frock. Knowing the work that goes into making a Federal Frock, my jaw about hit the ground!!

Seriously, though. A properly made reproduction of a Federal enlisted frock coat is one of the neatest "widgets" available in the hobby. The degree of difficulty mentioned by Dan and Chris have a lot to do with that.
                            John Wickett
                            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

As a federal registrant, here's a thought: Shouldn't the federals be wearing greatcoats? I mean, this is after the battle, correct? At any rate, every visual and literary account I've seen concerning the federals during the December 1862 campaign has them in greatcoats. For those who are concerned it might be too warm during the day in November for greatcoats it doesn't necessarily mean that frock coats or sack coats should be worn in addition to greatcoats, either. A good warm shirt worn under the greatcoat could suffice, no? Overnight don't forget blankets and spooning to keep warm. I'm just trying to get an accurate picture of what the federal pickets would have looked like immediately following the battle of Fredericksburg.
                              Any feedback?
                              Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
                              The swallows fly low
                              Over the fields in clouded days,
                              The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X