The Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hospital

The usual suspects may enjoy this. In some reports, Surgeon Marsh is only listed as a member of the "4th Penna.," which can be confused with the 4th Penna. Reserves, who were in McCall's Division.

"Extract from report of Surg. N. F. Marsh, Fourth Pennsylvania Cavalry, McCall's division.

November 25, 1862
    General MCCALL:

After the battle of the 30th June I remained at Willis' Church with a large number of our wounded. The next morning I was directed by General Jackson (Stonewall) to report to General Lee. I found General Lee in company with Generals Longstreet, Magruder, and Hill, on the New Market road. I addressed General Lee, and informed him that I was a Federal surgeon, and had remained to care for our wounded, and wished protection and supplies for our men. He promised supplies, and directed General Longstreet to write the necessary permit.

At the time I approached they were discussing the battle of the previous day, being then on the ground. General Longstreet asked me if I was present. I replied I was. He asked what troops were engaged. I replied, I only knew the division I was connected with (McCall's), which fought just where we then were. General Longstreet said, "Well, McCall is safe in Richmond; but if his division had not offered the stubborn resistance it did on this road we would have captured your whole army. Never mind; we will do it yet."

On Thursday, July 3, General Roger A. Pryor came into the church (hospital), and we had a long conversation. He repeated, in substance, what Longstreet had said, and spoke in the highest terms of the "pluck displayed by McCall's Pennsylvania troops."

The interest I felt in the Reserve Corps made me careful to remember these acknowledgments of the rebel generals.

I have the honor to be, your obedient servant,
    N. F. MARSH, Surgeon, Fourth Pennsylvania Cavalry."

The Willis Methodist Church on Willis Church Road still has a very active congregation, and recently had their parking lot paved. The cemetery in the churchyard reads like a Who's Who of the neighborhood farm owners, and for good reason.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]
Working...
X