Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registrations...Get 'em in!

Boys -
    Registrations are comming in at a good rate, and a thank you to all you have registered and given an extra donation to the CWPT. But we need to keep our numbers even to make this work. Right now the Confederate forces outnumber the Federal forces 3:1. With in the next week or two, if Federal registrations do not start to come in more, then we will be forced to "cap" the number of Confederates. So, if your planning on comming out, get your registration in, there's not much time time left!

Cheers,
    Joseph Caridi
    Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Re: Registrations...Get 'em in!

WOW!!!

I just looked at the Registration List posted 10 MAR 08...do we really only have 72 individuals (CS-53, US-17, Med/Staff-2) registered for the event?

This is sure to be an awesome event...only a month out...and counting down...where are all the registrations?

Paul B.
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Alright all you Feds, get signed up for this event. I'm driving from Detroit and I expect some opposition when I get there. What about all you fellows who attended W64, you should be well rested and well fed from your winter quarters. This would be a good opportunity to burn off that winter paunch by being driven from the penninsula!

Seriously, I think the numbers up to now greatly reflect the following:
      1. The proliferation of quality events (and the number of Kitchen passes being issued)
      2. The spiraling cost of gas
      3. The uncertanty of our economy

This should be a good event, on original battlefield no less. Hopefully we will get additional participants. I have a few pards that need to send in registrations but they are Confederate.
      David Parent

The Cracker Mess
      MLK Mess
      Black Hat Boys
      WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Dave & Paul,

The federal registrations are starting to add up now that we are rapidly approaching the deadline, so Grumpy's company is starting to get closer to the actual size of those 4th Pennsylvania Reserves companies during their epic bouts during the latter part of the Seven Days Battles. In terms of HMICs* out there, one well known dual-impression group largely in the mid-Atlantic region has promised 30, and a DC federal company intimated a dozen, but they have yet to materialize. I'm not much of one for counting chickens before the eggs hatch, as reenactor math is bad enough as it is. Perhaps there isn't enough mileage involved for some of the so-called federal campaigners in the region, or, just maybe, folks are a bit timid about the possibility of getting their feet wet, and have opted for yet another mainstream event, such as New Market.

All that being said, the substantial environmental issues with the CWPT land severely restricts the numbers, so we have a few more confederates registered than the initial event design called for, and this is balanced by a few less federals, so it works out in the end. This portion of the battle had a 3:1 reb:fed ratio, so a lopsided gray mob (there's a visual) pounding an indigo underdog isn't too far from the history of that section of the fight. We really didn't want the numbers to push up to a 4:1 ratio, which was what the trend suggested before the confederate registration was capped.

I am somewhat surprised the folks who portray the Pennsylvania Reserves on a regular basis aren't jumping at this rare opportunity to do so outside of the usual locations, and the next time we hear that speech about "we can't do that impression, because we are locked into this impression" I may feel more than just a feeble urge to pull the chain on yonder lamp of grand illumination as a reminder that the dog had his day in April 2008. Then we have the folks who have complained endlessly for over a decade that the "standards are too strict." Well, by golly, the standards were set in 1861-1865, and the best we can do are guidelines. You've read that many times. These guidelines are easy to meet, too, and perhaps are the easiest we've ever had at an event of this nature.

Dave's comments about kitchen passes, fuel costs, and economic uncertainly hit home in many ways. A good number of the regular customers who would partake in an event of this nature burned through kitchen passes to attend Winter 1864 2008, and I have to admit seeing #2 diesel fuel over $4 per gallon is a shock each and every time I see the sign. Some of our friends equate spending $400-800 to attend an event with the stark reality that such is a very similar amount that they need to pay off their home heating fuel bill from the winter (and the winter isn't over yet, in spite of the calendar's strong suggestion), and you know how that goes. I can't blame them in the least for fiscal prudence at home versus being wet/cold/hot/sweaty/tired/hungry in the woods for a weekend. What are they thinking? Let your family freeze and starve -- come out and wear some wool for the weekend!!! (Just kidding.)

By the end of the event, some folks will be tired, others bewildered, most will be challenged, and some who have read the material will understand why they did what they did where they did, and why these two battles mattered so much to two armies acting as if punch drunk fighters around these swamps in 1862. Above all, we'll have fun, and learn a little history good or bad.

As a gentle reminder, federal the federal registration rate is a level $25 through the end of postmark registration which is 7 April 2008. For those interested in participating in the preservation aspect of this event, please contact Ley Watson at ley74@rcn.com, and ask about PayPal as an option for donating, and you can always donate directly to CWPT or CVBT.

*HMIC = "Hey, Man, I'm Coming!"

P.S. Or it could be Grumpy's widespread reputation for making it rain all weekend. Go figure.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
        X