Skirmishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirmishing

Will there actually be "fighting" at this event or just living history demos?

Thanks,
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Skirmishing

At the close of the Payne's Farm event in October 2005, one participant turned to another participant and declared rather loudly, "Ya know, I had no idea there was an actual battle on this site until it was mentioned at the final formation." This anecdote illustrates a remarkable point concerning pre-event information.

The answer to your question is both.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Glendale 2008: Non-spectator battle reenactment.

Malvern Hill 2008: Living history.

March to/from Glendale from Malvern Hill. This one event offers: marching, "battle", and living history. Difficult to get bored at this one.

Comment

Kevin,

Actually, the question is answered rather well in the header information for this sub-forum. Nevertheless, it does bring up several good points:

1. If folks are interested in the event, then joining the email listserver is a darned good idea. Quite a bit of information is located there, and due to the nature of the beast the email volume is quite limited.

2. Another great idea is to read about the actual battle. Those with access to the ORs or ORs on CD will notice a huge volume of material relating to the Seven Days in general, since the opposing forces took a breather after this bloodletting, and during that down time they appear to have tried to "out write" each other. The reading is most excellent, and the role artillery played (or didn't play depending on your perspective) is fascinating.

3. If folks are interested in a SOYA LH, this event has a few static aspects, too.

4. If you are interested in "duck hunting" at extremely close range, then you may be incredibly disappointed.

5. I like the way Red Karl put it on another forum:

But I wonder what would happen if one went recruiting to "all sources" for an event that, while it specified a particular scenario, had only one key criterion for authenticity: Saturday's event would be 3.5 (minor edit) miles away from Friday night's camping ground and we would all have to get there on foot.
        Just thought I'd throw that in there. :wink_smil
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Since the question below has already been answered seriously...

Originally posted by 27thNCdrummer View Post
          Will there actually be "fighting" at this event or just living history demos?
          (with tongue implanted slightly in cheek...)

The 4th Pennsylvania Reserves and I don't intend on running, anywhere, anytime. Ole Abe and the stuffed shirts in Washington might be scared and have given up on Little Mac and the Army of the Potomac, but we've got plenty of fight left! No Rebel is going to make us leave the field without both of us taking a right hard drumming.

- I can't wait for this one also. Thanks to all who made this unique event happen!
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Peter:

Remember, just like other events in our hobby, you and the 4th are the ones that will make this baby one to remember.

Scare Grumpy up a few Blues. Good Lord help you if I have to beg.

See you guys real soon.
            Ley Watson
            POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

The often overlooked Peninsula Campaign was the largest campaign of the War. If you haven't read Stephen Sears book "To the Gates of Richmond" to prepare for this event, you oughta.
              Robert Carter
              69th NYSV, Co. A
              justrobnj@gmail.com
              www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

I just don't want to hear a very large "splash."
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                Past President Potomac Legion
                Long time member Columbia Rifles
                Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                  The 4th Pennsylvania Reserves and I don't intend on running, anywhere, anytime. Ole Abe and the stuffed shirts in Washington might be scared and have given up on Little Mac and the Army of the Potomac, but we've got plenty of fight left!
                  Peter,

The considerable controversy over what happened with the Penna. Reserves Division is a good read. The press corps, being what it was back then, was possibly looking for a follow up story as good or better than blaming Grant for the initial setbacks at Shiloh, and Stone with the Ball's Bluff fiasco. Certainly some axes were ground to a shaving edge and old scores settled sharply when it came to officers who had enjoyed McCall's wrath as an inspector out west in the old army before the Great Unpleasantness.

If you take the time ot search up a volume on Google Books entitled "History of the Pennsylvania Reserve Corps" circa 1865, the reading is quite good, even if it is a heck of a lone sided defense of that organization. Personally, I believe these fellows were treated unfairly after the battle, as holding off 3:1 odds is a pretty darned good feat, and the documented hand-to-hand fighting gives a glimpse as to why some of the veterans claimed this was one of the hottest contests they had endured. The fact is the line held, albeit with great assistance, and the trains moved safely down Willis Church Road.

If the link to the above work connects, and starting on page 260 or so:

History of the Penna. Reserves

Another good read is the Life and Letters of Geo. Gordon Meade, and a good section beings on page 284. Due to the extreme length of the URL, I'm not sure if this link will work or not:

Geo. Meade's Take on this Fight

You will be provided with a narrow avenue to employ your own "change of base" in rapid fashion, or you may choose to enjoy the various and sundry pleasures provided by your confederate hosts that evening if shanks' mare is not quite fast enough. My own guess is it will neither be a meal at Delmonico's nor a night at The Willard, but the sun will come up somewhere in the morning.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                  X