Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticks?

Howdy,

I just returned from the Stand of Colors mainstream event outside Kansas City. I had read their disclaimer about dealing with ticks, but being a good Texan used to coping with fire ants, and I didn't give the idea of a few ticks a second thought. Until we arrived, and we immediately learned that the incredible numbers of the little beasties was almost overwhelming. There presence was unrelenting all weekend, deet or no deet, and really did go substantially beyond a nuisance level.

So my question is will the tick plague of Kansas City in May also be present in the hills near Clearwater Lake in September? Just wondering.

Phil McBride
    The Alamo Rifles
    Phil McBride
    Author:
    Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
    Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
    Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
    Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
    Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
    Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Re: Ticks?

It's possible. But you might not have many or any at all. Hopefully by late September they won't be as numerous. The wooded areas might not be too bad but there are some grassy valleys which could house the little darlin's.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

I actually do the tick testing for the State of Ohio. Spring is the season for ticks! Just after the frost ends but before the heat of the summer has started. The ticks’ presence will decline during the summer and will make a slight come back in the fall as the weather gets cooler. But they should be nowhere near as bad.
      Sarah Peaslee

Comment

Hey Sarah, in your tick testing, do you find them better at math or science????
        No really, I would be interested in what you are testing for. Population, terrain, genetics?
        Here in central GA they are a plague. they feast on the horses in spring, especially the black ones.
        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Originally posted by csabugler View Post
          Hey Sarah, in your tick testing, do you find them better at math or science????
          No really, I would be interested in what you are testing for. Population, terrain, genetics?
          Here in central GA they are a plague. they feast on the horses in spring, especially the black ones.
          I work for a public health lab. Here in Ohio, the most prevalent tick is the dog tick (usually a blackish brown color/the size is ~half the size of your little finger, unfed) which is tested for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Our main focus is to track the prevalence of diseases in ticks/mosquitoes/birds so the general public can be warned if an outbreak occurs. The good news is a tick has to be attached for a pretty good while before disease can be transmitted. The most important thing is to know what type of tick is biting you so that you can look for specific symptoms of the disease that tick in known to carry.
          Sarah Peaslee

Comment

On the subject of ticks, an old remedy that may help you avoid being a victim in the future is to place a small amount of sulfur in your shoes. Your body apparently absorbs some of the sulfur, and insects typically do not like the sulfur presence. There is no other disagreeable smell that I'm aware of that others would notice either.
            Auxilium meum a Domino

Comment

I will be going to the event site a few times this summer to get things done and will give a report when I go down there in July.
              Historically, ticks have been bad in that valley but all the rain and flooding most likely kept them at bay or washed them out.

Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth
              When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

I think the ticks took up campaigning. They were in full force at Glendale/Malverne hill in April.I easily pulled forty off my body, five of which had to be dug out. Just finished presription of doxysillon.
                Scott Schrimpe
                124 N.Y.S.V.
                "Orange Blossom's"

Hedgesville Blues
                Va.2E
                "Shocker Mess"

Comment

At Stand of Colors last weekend, I lost count of the embedded ones at somehwere in the mid 80's! 35 years in this hobby, and NEVER saw anything like this near Biblical plague! Most were lone star ticks - not too dangerous, but as small as the head of a pin (atleast until bloated with your blood - which makes them lots easier to find and remove ). I didn't bother to count the mobile vermin, but I'd bet it would have to have been a 4 digit number.

Jim Moffet
                  Western Brigade

Comment

Jim is right about stand of colors and ticks. While we did have lots of ticks on us, I could not count the number of ticks we pulled off of our horses. Man those things are tick magnets!!!
                    Dan Chmelar
                    Semper Fi
                    -ONV
                    -WIG
                    -CIR!

Comment

Hi,

Those little blood sucking ticks were all over me and my company. One of the guys with me pulled off 91 ticks stuck to his skin; I managed to get away with around 45 stuck to me. I have a event in 3 weeks and I sure hope there are not as many ticks as there were last weekend.
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

The tough part is trying to remove them without infesting your house. My dog tends to pick up anything that's decided to come home with me.

I try to stay in the bathtub when removing them, but they just seem to get everywhere. I hate 'em.
                        [B]Joe Fox[/B]
                        Columbus, Ohio

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Find me a unit. [I]Please[/I]."[/FONT]

Comment

After a couple of months of Civil War events(Yep, I was at the Glendale tick pick), spring turkey hunting and trips afield with the Boy Scouts, I can say the tick population between Virginia and Pennsylvania is quite healthy. I can also vouch, the use of DEET is nearly useless for the little buggers; it would seem they quite enjoy the stuff. The only think I've found that works is "Repel - Permanone" which contains a permethrin(.5%). Just don't put the stuff on your skin. Permethrin is a pesticide. However, ticks have been no problem since I've begun using the stuff. Got it at Wally World.

Not to actual size:
                          Brown Dog Tick:

Lone Star Tick:

And, the "Infamous" Deer Tick:

Size wise, you'd be lucky to find a Deer Tick without a good hard look and a glass. Those buggers are about as big as a dot you make with a Bic ballpoint pen. The others are quite visible at all stages in their lives. All ticks look the same as juviniles as they do as adults. Just because you have a small tick on you, doesn't mean it's a Deer Tick. And as far as I know, Deer Ticks are the fellers that carry the nasty disease. The others don't and there has been no reported examples of any tick but Deer Ticks carrying RMSF. I've been in the Pest Control Industry since 1987 and we have mandatory yearly classes on the stuff. Go ahead, Google "Reported cases of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in (insert your state here)" http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/00001613.htm Guess, why that's 1989 research? Because there are few or no current available because, RMSF is fairly insigfinant in the US population. (Sorry for the Rant) Other news favorites are Hantavirus and Avian Flu. You'll be amazed how frightened the press has the population. I've only ever seen Deer Ticks here in PA twice in my life,(besides on glass microscope slides.). Once in 2004 on a dead doe and once in 2006 on a dead squirrel. And, I literally spend months a year in the outdoors. Education is the key. And, one of our past members (CR's) has a PHD in Entimology. I've herd his talk and, it was great. I worked with Nick in the Industry for a couple of years too. There's nothing wrong with caution. There's everything wrong with unsubstianted fear.
                          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                          Past President Potomac Legion
                          Long time member Columbia Rifles
                          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Permanone works well against all sorts of critters. I have used it before with good results also. A day or two before the event spray down your clothing with the stuff until it is damp - especially the socks and trousers. Let it dry well and it will form a barrier that should help you throughout the weekend.

Make sure you follow the label directions. This isn't like DEET that you can rub on yourself. Do not get it on your skin and apply during a windless time to avoid drift into your face, mouth, eyes etc. Don't let all the warnings scare you away from using it. It's pretty safe unless your careless with the application and handling.
                            Michael Comer
                            one of the moderator guys

Comment

I have no idea how many I pulled off of me there, but when I got home from Stand of Colors, I pulled off 3 more, and yesterday finally brought my gear in from the back porch and found 5 or 6 more, all dead. My son thought maybe it was just the area, but I was stationed at Fort Riley for 3 1/2 years, and never saw anything like Stand of Colors for ticks. In fact, I remember chiggers, but never ticks. The Frontier Bde Hospital folks were spraying guys with some stuff in an industrial sprayer that seemed to work, probably something like the Permanone. I remember when I deployed to the Middle East, they had us soak our Desert uniforms in Permitherin (sp?) for insects.
                              Frank Siltman
                              24th Mo Vol Inf
                              Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                              Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                              Company of Military Historians
                              Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X