Umm....Scenario??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm....Scenario??

It's been awhile since I have posted anything as my efforts were temporarily hindered by the very early and premature birth of my son. This has made the past several weeks very busy. Just give us 16 years and the whole Aufmuth clan will be visiting an event near you.

With that aside, the event is getting closer and with the exception of a couple of work dates everything is in place for a unique experience.
    The military of both sides will be kept occupied at their various tasks. However much of what happens will revolve around the civilians. Not to exclude the military but there will be draft dodgers (mossbacks) and other refugees to keep things interesting.
    Besides the occasional raid on a civilian camp consider a time anyone has ever rounded up conscripts, or in the case of the Federals, arresting draft dodgers. Unless theres some event I don't know about, this is something that never happens. For the mossback of conscript age, your job will be to elude both sides...Sleep light or expect to be occupied in the federal earthworks or in the Confederate army (depends who finds you).

Besides that, The main scenario is Gen. Marmaduke's second raid. I am certain that this has never been done. When I talk about this event most people say Marmaduke's What??? They've never even heard of it.
    Yet this side page of history was intended to help relieve pressure on Little Rock and Vicksburg. With a scenario such as this with the back drop of a country side in 1863 Missouri, this is gonna be cool. After being on the planning side of some events, I wonder how many out there actually visit the event website and read up on the history and will understand the scenario. I

Because this is not a well known incident, few people have even heard of it. Therefore I encourage everyone to visit the event website. Check out some of the books that are listed on the website or visit the O.R. and read up on the the history of Marmaduke's Raid. In this way the event and scenario will be a little more meaningful for everyone making the trip.

There is a preservation angle for this event. We will be helping to preserve the existing earthworks that were involved in the raid. This is not a well known battle and the earthworks are kind of obscure. In spite of the efforts of the local historical societies these sites have not received adequate attention. With encroaching ATV traffic our efforts are even more critical.
    Please remember our efforts as the event approaches.
    We have several donated items already for our raffle.

With the unique mix of participants and the good land at our disposal we have a considerable opportunity here. Don't miss it and Confederates are welcome.

Frank Aufmuth
    Last edited by Campjacksonboy; 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM. Reason: Preservation
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: Umm....Scenario??

I am really excited about this event! I would encourage you to make plans to be at this event and get your registration in.

Chris Talburt

Comment

Reading the O.R.s is a great way to dive into the history of what occuerd during the raid. I highly encourage everyone who is attending, planning on attending, or just wants to read an interesting moment from the war to to so!
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

The O.R.'s really are the best source for info on this raid, there is also a good article written in the Missouri Historical Review about the raid, but most of it's information is from the O.R.'s. You can read marching with the 1st Nebraska to get a good feel of the war in this area as well.

Paul Arnold
        Paul Arnold

Comment

Working...
        X