Flat Haversack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Haversack

Just to let the men going federal at Marmadukes know, please only put polk sacks in your haversack for the event. You might want to bring a mess pan along with your cup. All food remember will be provided to you in a most sophisticated and wonderous way. Every palate should be satisfied. It should be an epicurian delight.
    Cheers:D
    Terry Sorchy

Re: Flat Haversack

Originally posted by Terry Sorchy View Post
    All food remember will be provided to you in a most sophisticated and wonderous way. Every palate should be satisfied. It should be an epicurian delight.
    Terry Sorchy
    Gosh, Terry, does this mean you're cooking as well?

A colonel AND running a tavern. Is there anything you can't do?
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MO-Pard View Post
      A colonel AND running a tavern. Is there anything you can't do?
      The
      Delmonico's
      Of
      The West
      Is Now
      Open!

Jay,

Rumor has it the colonel is running a bordello, and considering he became a newlywed and a grandfather in the same month, I'm just flat out impressed with his efficiency.

All three cooks have now been drafted, and a more motley crew cannot possibly be imagined. We have a pastor, an actual army cook with over 20 years experience, and a refugee from the witch hunt of progressives. All of this superintended by the destroyer of the hobby, so you have that going for you, and the all important mental picture.

As mentioned in a previous epistle:

This is probably an appropriate point in time to mention fires will be at a premium, with our allowance being three and only three for the fort. This allows for one consolidated cookhouse fire trench, one "warm up" fire for the enlisted folks, and one fire to be named later.

Unless I misjudge Rev. Pompey, wood gathering details will be both necessary and quite active in order to stoke the fires. This doesn't mean a freewill "Burning of Columbia" pyre need be seen reaching to the sky and licking the clouds, nor will the fort need a confederate signal fire visible from Springfield.

The rations are what they are, and they may prove to be either the highlight of the event, for those who enjoy camp life, or the most base, worst, most pitiful, paltry, excuse laden portion of the event, for those who enjoy making the usual soldier's noise. Set your expectations low, and you won't be disappointed. When a soldier quits complaining, then he is probably dead.

A man with a sharp knife will be laughing at the man trying to cut his meat with a dull riverstone.

The man with a repop 2nd Minn. plate or issue three-piece plate will be ahead of the man with a flat plate wondering what to do with his fine plate of soup so recently spilt down the front of his shirt. That's a hint that some of the concoctions may or may not remove the tin from the inside of the mess cup, and that mixing some of this material with the liquid brown that washes the food down may be a bad idea.

Having a fork is good, but having a spoon is better. Bring your spoon.

Those with a chip of soap and a little towel may find a chance to use them.

You may or may not be issued meat so fresh it is still wriggling, and you may or may not slap your parched lips upon some local cuisine not typically consumed back east for another 100 years or more.

Pie, the all important ingredient for any event, may or may not be had from an unlikely source, and those happy men with at the ready shinplasters in appropriate denominations may be better fed than those long faced individuals standing there empty handed. It's a heck of a thing to have gone hungry, yet later have to curl up in a dog tent with a pard reeking of the sweet sugary goodness from the crumbs and filling of a half moon peach pie. To wit, Sherman said it best: "War is Hell!"

Plus, we hope the Sergeant Major will assist with a certain medicinal task that will likely not bring great joy to one and all. Considering this is April 1863, you can pretty much guess just what that is. The colonel will be first in line to set the example.

The Iron Chef mystery ingredient may or may be one that hasn't been used in about eight years, although there is an alternate.

There will be good yankee, low bid, coffee, complete with adulterations some of you will find to be familiar, and tasty.

Only a cruel man would serve both cabbage and beans to men sleeping in dog tents.

Dutch Gals, tomorrow!
      Last edited by Charles Heath; 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM. Reason: Gotta get a better sign painter.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I DONT dust or wash windows pard! But I will say this to Yall. My daughter called about two hours ago and I should be a grandpa by tomorrow morning!
        Terry Sorchy

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Sorchy View Post
          I DONT dust or wash windows pard! But I will say this to Yall. My daughter called about two hours ago and I should be a grandpa by tomorrow morning!
          Terry Sorchy
          Woot! Grandkids are even better than pie. Early congrats and prayers for a swift and safe delivery. :)
          Ron Mueller
          Illinois
          New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
          Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
          Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
            [CENTER][SIZE="4"]
            Jay,

Rumor has it the colonel is running a bordello, and considering he became a newlywed and a grandfather in the same month, I'm just flat out impressed with his efficiency.
            Thanks a lot Charles!:baring_te

Do you realize what you have done?

1. Federal registrations will now quadruple in the next week... Angry, true hardcores, turned away.

2. Mass defections, and passive, voluntary surrenders/POW's, will thin the Confederate ranks, in hope, rather, pleading; of being "taken to the fort."

3. House mandates, 50% of proceeds, diverted to preservation of forts. Including, second story additions. And there was much rejoicing!
            Jay Stevens
            Tater Mess
            Independent Volunteers
            Iron Man Mess
            Reenactor Preservation Coalition
            Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
            Lost Tribes, October 2009
            Bummers, November 2009
            Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
            The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
            In the Van, August 2010
            Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Jay,

This is April 1863 in Southeast (either Mizzourah or Mizzouree), and the foods you are likely to eat are determined less by the Piggly Wiggly or IGA than the season, and more to the excessive larcenous proclivity of certain people who wear indigo dyed uniforms. That would be us, and whatever wintered over is not likely to be top drawer, first rate or A-1.

Mistuh Coal says he wishes some yardbird would appear as if by magic.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Hmmm. wonder what we're going to have on the Confederate side. Couple of the boys in my company are bringing squirrel rifles. That may be the answer right there. Good eatin', squirrel. Possums not bad either from what I remember but is pretty gamey and greasy. Didn't taste that bad, just not to my liking but it'll do in a pinch.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Michael,

I could post some of the reb cav food references and footnotes from Oates' book in another thread. They are mostly 1861-1862, and just a little south of our geography, as some are from northern Arkansas, but interesting reading nonetheless. I'd have posted this stuff sooner, but figured it was common knowledge west of the river. Truly, the situation seems to be feast or famine. Oates' narrative for this raid is brief, but decent reading. Frank mentioned he had posted some snippets from the ORs in this folder. I'm having to force myself to remember this is April 1863 and not October. Something about spring gobbler season, don't ya k now?
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                  X