Co. D, 32nd Iowa...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co. D, 32nd Iowa...

Just got back to CT... Tommy Gingras in enroute to MA as I write this...

So... what didja think?

All the best- Johnny ;)
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Co. D, 32nd Iowa...

Cap'n Obvious,
    Good to see you all made it 'home'. Fun driving with a good representation of Easterners, especially the "Kennedy Sound-alike"... Thanks for heading out there with us...

Billy
    William Birney
    Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
    Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Captains Obvious and Hillbilly,

Glad to see you made it back to your nearly native Nutmeg State, and hope Cap'n Negative makes it home to Taxachusetts just fine. The road trip was enjoyable, and I hope you had a fine time. I would say let's do this again in March, but Billy, Courtney, and I are doing it again in a couple of weeks for Westville.

Dang, seems I missed the annual Middletown Encampment & Skirmish. Oh, woe is me.

The big yaller Cap'n Obvious tee shirt is still in your truck.

Wait until I tell Petey his Winter 1864 lard made it to Missouri.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

We didn't have any trouble understanding Tommy's yankee accent, but Orderly Sergt. Lichty couldn't, for the life of him, figure out how to pronounce his name!

Co. D was as good as it gets, (Insert usual statements about "finest traditions of the service" and "performed with great coolness," etc. etc. HERE) Sergts Lichty and Goff, Corpls Tipton and Goff, Drummer Goff and all the men made the trip Goose Creek one I will never forget.

'Twas an honor to serve with the fine mix of Minnesota, So. Dakota, Ohio and New England men.

(Johnnie, you planning on staying in Connectcutt long enough to loose what little is left of that South Carolina drawl?)

Second Lieut. James Moffet
        Co. D, 32nd Iowa

Comment

Dang.....Bev has heard about her new skillet. Trouble is brewing.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Jim-

Sorry to blow the power curve in regard to genuine Northern accents in our company. I intend to not stay here any longer than I have to, due mostly to family concerns down South, but while I'm here, I'm having a ball seeing how fun the North can be.

I love all of America... there is goodness everywhere if you look. ;)

Gents... my in-depth AAR will follow later due to some much-needed wife/husband TV watching, but to Messrs. Tipton, Moffat, Murray, Goff (2x:D), asshat :p (Shaw), Birney, Bennett, Leichty, Gingras, K (won't try to spell it), and even Mr. Heef over in the commissary... THANKS. I had a wonderful time seeing old event friends. This war vet felt everyone was trying their best to be whatever their rank/function dictated this weekend. Our rank structure was very competent in their duties and concerns by all were in the right place at all times. I felt all men were being cared for and caring for each other just like in the real military. This is a huge complement to all in our company.

I have to say that our company, though small, was very tight. This is rare at events, as some of you might know from your previous reenacting experiences.

Thanks for the fun and laughter... I'll remember this event most for it.

All the best and I'll be happy and honored to see you again on the field- Johnny Lloyd :wink_smil
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Gingras Alive Stop
              27 Hour Trek Across America Complete Stop
              Refit And Reorganization Underway Do Not Disturb Stop
              I am, etc.
              Thomas Gingras
              Awkward Squad Mess
              Columbia Rifles
              Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Thanks to everyone who served in Company "D" of the 32nd Iowa - especially our leaders Lieutenant’s Murray, Moffet and my Mess No. 1 comrade and First Sergeant Joe Liechty. Also thanks to Sergeant Willar and Corporal Goff. I promised my Comrades a colorful rendition specific to our company. Everything written here happened... sort of. ;)

After drilling until our feet were sore late Friday morning, we endeavored to move to the fort with the rest of the battalion. Once we settled in, we were assigned fatigue duty building breastworks. This Herculean task was begun as we felled trees all around the perimeter. The trees fell to the ground, shaking the earth around us and in some cases three or four men carried an entire tree to be carefully placed on the works. Paul Bunyan could not have done better than our valiant lumberjacks. A falling tree came within a hairsbreadth of crushing yours truly. I escaped with my life and limb intact, but slightly shaken.

From there, we proceeded to perform picket duty late into the night on Friday. The rocks around the site were so large that in the dark, they appeared to be Confederates in our midst. In fact, one of our men challenged one of the rocks, who he felt had penetrated our perimeter. Much to his chagrin, the rock did not know the countersign and the Corporal of the Guard (me) was called post-haste to the post in question. After brief questioning, it was determined the rock posed no threat to us other than to act as an obstacle with the entire division of rocks on the hill who conspired to interrupt our routine.

On Saturday morning, our brave company was assigned to a patrol to find the dreaded Marmaduke and the various Mossbacks, Rebs and Sympathizers scattered around the rocky landscape. We proceeded along a ridge to the right of our works toward the Rebel lines, guided by little Xavier, whom we had re-captured earlier that morning. He brandished a knife that was a least half his height and twice as sharp and looked ready to use it.

As we walked the extreme hills and valleys of the Ozarks, a plan was established to detach Sergeant Liechty, myself, a young private, and our diminutive guide to find the Rebel camp. This was a carefully-planned operation down to the last detail and we were confident that it would be without a doubt successful. Along the way, we dodged the aforementioned unfriendlies and managed to completely traverse the Confederate Army. The four of us neared the rear of the camp, while at the same time; the rest of the company swept the front as a diversion.

We snuck up to the Confederate lines on all fours and managed to get within spitting distance of one of the Confederate pickets. Undetected, we raced back toward the rest of the company at our designated rendezvous point and hurried back to the fort to let them know what we had found.

As a reward for our labors we were assigned the very important task of guarding the entire fort while the rest of the battalion went to attack the Confederates in their works. It can be said that during the entire hostilities up to this point, we had carefully chosen our targets and still maintained a reserve of over one thousand rounds. We had no men captured, wounded or killed during our successful defense of the fort and during our watch, not one Reb set foot across our works. ;) Unfortunately, it appeared that our comrades in the other companies were not quite as successful.

The men came back in small groups from the battle, defeated and played out, while our spirits in our little company remained high due to our successful defense. Private Lloyd and I were then summoned to lead a Mossback prisoner to the Major for a prisoner exchange. We closely guarded the prisoner - Johnny with his trusty rifle and I with the prisoner's two revolvers. After a brief conversation, the exchange was completed and we quickly returned to the safety of the fort.

Saturday night saw our company once again on picket - the 2 AM to 6 AM shift. A thorough vanguard was kept up throughout the night and the men were on constant alert for the presence of the enemy. So complete was our focus on the activity in front of us, that we hardly had the chance for conversation other than the low whispers necessary to perform our duties.

After the long, sleepless night, we were ready to go when the Major gathered up the battalion to move out of our beloved fort. We navigated the chest-high rocks and eighty-degree decline without injury or incident to any of our men.

We were assigned as the rear-guard for the entire Federal Army, a role which we took to with relish. We remained on high alert, just in case the Confederate Cavalry showed up on our flank. We knew that without us, our entire flank was in jeopardy.

We soon heard the loud blast of a cannon on the road and were given the order to ascend the hill on the left of the valley. We charged up the hill and formed a skirmish line and swept across the face. In the process, our brave Lieutenant Murray was hit in the knee by a cannonball, which carried away the lower part of his leg. The Lieutenant, although in extreme pain, coolly smoked his pipe as he continued to bark orders to the men. "Take the hill men! Take the Hill!" He bellowed. It was in the spirit of our valiant leader that we moved across the hill dodging cannonballs, rocks the size of a large horse and dozens of Confederates - each toting at least three firearms and several large "Bowie" knives. In the course of the action, I am proud to report that we captured three Rebs and killed several more. Once again, no men, other than our courageous commander were wounded.

The battle died down and we had taken the ridge on our side along with Company F. We gathered at the main trail and headed back to the fort. The action of the day had ended and our company had prevailed once again.

The events portrayed here are based on a true story. ;) The names have not been changed to protect the innocent and only those present in our little band will understand the true sarcasm of this post, which was essentially written by all of us Saturday night. Thanks Guys!

Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't thank Runyon, Martin, Boozie and Cas for allowing me to catch a ride with them to the event from Indiana. I can honestly say that my overall opinion of Hoosiers was generally improved. :D

Frank, all kidding aside, you guys did a great job with the event and the site was indeed new, different, challenging, picturesque, and pristine. The weather didn't turn out too badly either. Thanks so much for all the hard work... and your son Xavier was truly a joy to have around. He really knew those trails.

Thanks to everyone and I hope the Major is recovering well from his wounds.
                Last edited by Eric Tipton; 10-03-2008, 06:49 PM.
                ERIC TIPTON
                Former AC Owner

Comment

Oh, I lament not making it over to my assigned Company(D)... My event consisted of, as Mr. Heath says, "a twelve by twelve area" with a little itty bitty trail on a hillside running between the commisary and the water hose... Would have liked to fire at least one shot, but I was bribed with a small jar of honey and tea... So goes the world...

Mr. Tipton, thanks for recognizing me after I was challenged on Friday? night... Nothing like being challenged with one's britches down around one's ankles...

Bill Birney
                  William Birney
                  Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                  Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Originally posted by MD_Independent View Post
                    Nothing like being challenged with one's britches down around one's ankles....
                    Dangit, Billy! I said what goes on in the commissary stays in the commissary!

You, Don and Dave were a big help. Since Dave Pinkert couldn't make it from Minnesota, I suppose that makes you an honorary "Dave." Hmmm, that tea was mighty good, and it was fun to hear J-Ho rant and rave " 'bout nebber gettin' a tay ration" on the way out there all the time knowing that good, good, tea was just waiting to be served. At full steep it nearly turned into black tea. The honey was a good addition.

I'm not sure if the "15 minutes early" comedy routine was funnier than the "coffee identification program" or the "somebody wake up the officer of the guard so he can wake up the sergeant major so he can tell us to start breakfast," but it was close.

"Spot, can you go over to the sutler and steal us another case of tomatoes?"
                    Last edited by Charles Heath; 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM. Reason: Adding shock and awe flavored chicken
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Chawls,

You must be talking about the Officer of the Guard on Friday night: I was the OoG on Saturday, and the ever descending rings under my eyes as I write this PROVE that I was WIDE AWAKE on Saturday night. Around 3:45 I walked up to the commissary area: the fire was fine and no one was stirring (pun quite intended). My orders were to awaken Sergt. Major Gutzke at 4:30, which I did. No orders were given me to awaken anyone else - though I did get Drummer Goff up in time for the Reveille, on both fife & drum and then bugle, at 5:00 sharp Sunday. Joe Goff was in my valiant Co. D; and he slept with his pards at the reserve picket post, therefore it was only right and proper that I do so, since I was up at 4:45 anyway.

The regs state that the OoG be awake at all times, and I guarentee that I was!

2nd Lieut. James Moffet
                      32nd Iowa Volunteer Inf.
                      Last edited by Jim Moffet; 09-30-2008, 11:50 PM. Reason: best to proof read the next day!

Comment

Lieutenant, did you happen to notice your hat was on backwards when you awoke from your seated position at the desk? Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

The poor fellow on the Fri/Sat OOG schedule who we nicknamed "Lt. Coffee" was an absolute scream. Of course, he woke us up right on time at 4:30 a.m., and fifteen minutes later, by the bugle, it was 5:45 a.m., which we all found amazing, if not, just a time warp of sorts. Good thing we had that delicious hard bread pre-baked! We'll see "Lt. Coffee" at the Slaughter Pen in November, and here's to an officer who rattled around most of the night making sure his boys were well cared for!

Possum up the tree
                        Coonie on the stump
                        Turtle in the mess cup
                        Ho man ho
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

AAR - Sunday AM Guard Duty

1:30am
                          OOG woke up Lieut. Murray. I was sleeping lightly and awoke also. Shortly there after the 1st Sergt. and myself woke up the rest of the men and told them to pack their napsack and put their traps on. Having rolled their blankets, the men fell in in full marching order and we marched off to the reserve post.

2:00am
                          Lieut. Murray was briefed by the OOG and the Sergt of the Gaurd briefed me. The Corporal of the Gaurds (current and relief) and I marched off to relieve the posts. Lieut. Murray, now the OOG decided that due to the conditions, some of the post should be rearranged. (Post 3 was 5ft from the works and 15ft from the sally port.) He pulled the rear guard post and realligned the posts to better prevent the enemy from flanking us.

2:15am Orderly Sergt. Liechty and myself posted ourselves near the pickets so that our night vision would not be ruined by the fire at the reserve post.

We passed the night without incident. The relief was woken up and marched out to relieve the first shift right on time. When not on post the men sleept on arms. As Sergt. of the Guard, I rounded to each post and the men stayed alert and vigilant throughout the night. At the end of our duty, we were relieve and marched up to our Co. street and then fed for breakfast.

__________________________________________________ ______________
                          Tipton - Thanks for posting the AAR. Well done. Now we just have to get Corporal Goff's.

Chawls - I'll also vouch for Lieut. Moffet being awake and alert during Co. D's guard duty Sunday morning. I came inside the works just after 4 to ensure that the reserve had bedded down for a few winks and was greeted by a cheeryLieut. Moffet. He had a cup of coffee for me that was still hot from coming off the fire. Dang coffee too, by the way.

2nd Sergt. Nathan Willar
                          Company D
                          32nd Iowa Volunteer Inf.
                          [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
                          1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

Mr. Tipton, thanks for recognizing me after I was challenged on Friday? night... Nothing like being challenged with one's britches down around one's ankles...
                            Bill:

That was a pretty funny little episode. I was glad to help. It was, at least, good to know that our boys on picket were strictly following the general orders. I guess we never gave you boys in the commissary the countersign. :D
                            ERIC TIPTON
                            Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by the other nathan View Post
                              "...was greeted by a cheery Lieut. Moffet.
                              So, that is where the rest of the Cherry Bounce went!
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X