• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmaduke's Raid 1863

When: Sept. 26-28, 2008
    Where: South Eastern Missouri
    Why: Do something different.
    Who: Frank Aufmuth, Silvana Siddalis, Anna Allen, Terry Sorchy

Details still being worked out. Website link pending moderator approval.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: Marmaduke's Raid 1863

I hope that I am back from Baghdad in time to be there.
    Rick Biddle
    Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
    Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Frank:

I am sending you a PM re this event.

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy View Post
        Website link pending moderator approval.
        The event guy likes it. :)

http://campjacksonboy.googlepages.com/home
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Was this event site posted by the same Frank Aufmuth that was last seen in the Kisatchie area gnawing bark off a pine tree and blowing a whistle?
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Frank,

You Trans Mississippi boys know how to put on the best times. I heard the rumor from some Missouri fellows at Shiloh. You can count me in!!
            sigpic
            Grandad Wm. David Lee
            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Terry Sorchy and I are working on the guidelines for the Federals. As of right now we are going to portray one of the three companies(that was there) of the 32nd Iowa.
              Nathan Hellwig
              AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
              "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

This event, like anything Marse Aufmuth touches, will have an important preservation focus as well - that of helping to preserve and protect a series of small federal forts and redoubts strung across that part of Missouri to guard against CS forays from Arkansas. I am humbled to be asked to help with this portion of the event...stay tuned.

Gonna be a good one - take a gander at the google satellite map of the area.

Meanwhile, here is the preservation blurb from the website:

During the Civil War there were a string of fortifications that stretched across southern Missouri. This network of forts included large earth fortifications in Cape Giradeau, Pilot Knob, and Rolla. Beyond these, to the south, existed smaller earthworks or redoubts in places like Bloomfield, Patterson, and Ellington. In fact these fortifications seem to have stretched across the southern portion of the state. They were strategically placed to protect Missouri from Confederate invasions that would come out of Arkansas. At least a few of these earthworks are still extant. They sit in various places some waiting to be discovered, others under the care of various groups or individuals. Patterson's Fort (a.k.a. Ft. Benton) sits atop a hill overlooking a small town in obscure woods; Ellington's sits on public land in a state of secrecy, and what is left of the one in Bloomfield forms a boundry between private land and what was once the town dump.

For over ten years the site at Patterson has been under the care of a small historical society. With few volunteers and little funding they have worked valliantly to preserve this valuable piece of history. Just thirty miles to the west is a redoubt, outside Ellington. Protected by its obscurity, sits a piece of Missouri's Civil War history waiting to be discovered. The dream of preserving the history at both sites has been accomplished by a few individuals. Proceeds from Marmaduke's Raid will go towards their cause.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Ah, man...Frank, you removed the ladies' silk shoes from the C.S. Guidelines. And I really thought you were being serious...:p
                  Anna Allen
                  <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                  [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy View Post
                    When: Sept. 26-28, 2008
                    Where: South Eastern Missouri
                    Why: Do something different.
                    Who: Frank Aufmuth, Silvana Siddalis, Anna Allen, Terry Sorchy

Details still being worked out. Website link pending moderator approval.
                    Frank Aufmuth
                    Frank-

Could one expect this to be in the mold of a BGR-type attitude and feel?

Definitely know it will be quality.....

Best Regards
                    Jay Stevens
                    Tater Mess
                    Independent Volunteers
                    Iron Man Mess
                    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                    Lost Tribes, October 2009
                    Bummers, November 2009
                    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                    In the Van, August 2010
                    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Well, that's what I think, Jay. This event will be held on private property, so there won't be any modern intrusions of any kind (and that includes portapotties.)

Anna and I will post civilian info & standards pretty soon. In the meantime, you'd think Frank would know how to spell my name, after all these years.
                      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
                      [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
                      [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Originally posted by Silvana Siddali View Post
                        In the meantime, you'd think Frank would know how to spell my name, after all these years.
                        It's a nineteenth century thing.
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

I have waited for along time for this to be "Officially" announced. ( even the event guy has smiled upon it)
                          When Frank first mentioned this event a long time ago, I was stoked and could hardly contain myself. I knew where he was talking about , And knowing the rugged South East Missouri countryside, That THIS would be the event not to miss.
                          I began tellin everyone I knew that this would not be a dissappointment and it must be done. Its not often that you can be on private property and have a event like this . It will be here that you can let it all hang out.

Not to mention that this will be the same year as Athens and New Madrid.
                          A Grand time in Eastern Missouri this year.

Nothing will stop me from defending my home from Foreign invaders nor prevent me from being here.
                          Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 04-18-2007, 06:15 PM. Reason: I don't need no Stinkin T-shirt... I been to Missouri
                          Warren Hook
                          First Sibley Mess
                          New Madrid Guards
                          WIG

"...And to Missouri we
                          Extend both heart and hand
                          And welcome her a sister
                          Of our Confederate band
                          Tho surrounded by oppression
                          No one dare deter
                          Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
                          Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

It is about time the Trans-Mississippi gets some attention. I am currently working on Athens for '08. We have some exciting news! But you all will have to wait :)

The US guidelines are about done. Boys in blue get ready!
                            Nathan Hellwig
                            AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Frank,
                              Might this be the subject we discussed last year at our small get together. I am very interested if so. If you need help let me know more.

Your old comrade,

semoreb - James Maupin
                              [FONT="Georgia"][I][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT]semoreb - James Maupin

Comment

Working...
                              X