21st Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21st Texas

Confederates will be portraying mounted and dismounted Cavalry of the 21st Texas (a.k.a. 1st Texas Lancers), during Marmaduke's 2nd Raid into Missouri April 20-May 2 1863. Roughly 1/5th of Marmaduke's army was dismounted he elected to bring the dismounted men out of concern that dismounted men would desert if not brought along.
    The 21st was organized in the Spring of 1862 of men from Parker, Dallas, Bell, and Austin Counties. During the raid this unit was under the command of Lt. Col. Dewitt C. Giddings. The 21st along with Reves Independent Scouts, and a section fo Pratt's Artillery formed a contingent of approximately 500 men that led Marmaduke's army to Patterson.
    This event will offer an unusual yet authentic arrangement of a partially mounted Cavalry regiment.

Our officers for the September event are as follows:

Staff:
    Frank Aufmuth Lt. Col.
    Coley Adair Maj.
    Cody Mobley Adj.
    Brian Hicks Sgt.Maj.
    Art Milbert Commissary
    Tom Smith Topographic Engineer

Company Officers:
    Critter Company and Buttermilk Rangers are heading up the Mounted element
    Mike Kupsch Dismounted
    Mike Comer Dismounted
    Herb Coats Dismounted

Paul Arnold Artillery

Tom Yearby

Other CO's will be announced later
    Registration opens soon.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Last edited by Campjacksonboy; 12-12-2007, 09:52 PM.
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: 21st Texas

For anyone into the academic side of events there are a few books out there about the 21st.

Presently I am working on Between the Enemy and Texas: Parson's Texas Cavalry in the Civil War by, Anne J. Bailey.
    Besides the O.R. and the internet this is the first I've been able to read about the men and I have found the book to be very informative.

There are also two other books that were written by the veterans. I have not yet been able to find a copy of either of these two books but I would be very interested in reading them.

My Eighty years in Texas By William Physich Zuber

Zuber served in Company H and besides his Civil War career also served in the Texas Revolution. In fact he would be the last surviving veteran of the Texas Revolution

An Epitome of my Life by Buck Walton

Walton appears to have served in Company B and appears to have been a spy or a scout. He may have been an officer.

Frank Aufmuth
    Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Frank,

If you are looking to just read and not personally own these titles you might be interested in knowing that My Eighty Years in Texas by Zuber is avaiable through inter library loan from University of Missouri St. Louis and Saint Louis University. Also, An Epitome of my Life by Buck Walton is avaiable through Northwest Missouri State Univ., Webb City Public Library and Kansas City Public Library to name a few.

Just thought I would pass along the info.

Steve LaBarre
      Cornfed Comrades
      WIG

Comment

Um...Yeah
        I did take the Inter library loan route but didn't mention it because I didn't want anyone beating me to it.
        Frank Aufmuth
        Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Good thinking!

Steve LaBarre
          Cornfed Comrades
          WIG
          Last edited by BrownBlanketMess; 12-19-2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I can not believe you are letting Herb Coats command a company. Where did you get such an idea??? Oh wait that was from me. All kinding aside looks like a great group of commanders. If I can get the wife to give me a kitchen pass you can count me in.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

2st Texas Unit History

For anyone wishing to learn a little more about the 21st Texas heres a conglomeration of information:

I didn't write much about them after Patterson but at Cape Giradeau. Col. Carter, by flag of truce, gave General McNeil a demand for surrender within a half hour. Signed by "By the order of General Sterling Price." This would cause some of Marmaduke's men a lot of headaches later on when they were sent to Sterling Price and not Marmaduke.

Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Working...
              X