32nd Iowa Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32nd Iowa Information

Here is some information about the 32nd Iowa that can help with first person impressions.
    -The 32nd Iowa trained at Camp Franklin, formally known as Camp Union, in Dubuque, Iowa
    -Camp Franklin was located at the base of the bluffs near the Mississippi.
    -In September of 1862 there were about 3,500 men from several different Regiments, including the 32nd and 21st Iowa.
    -The barracks were newly built that year, but lacked stoves inside.
    -All cooking was done outside of the barracks over an open fire.
    -An account from The History of Dubuque County states,
    "The report of the hospital at Camp Franklin from September 18-Nov. 30, 1862 showed that the whole number of admitted was 193; returned to duty,163;furloughed convalescent,7; discharged 1;died 8; remaining in the hospital, 24. Typhoid, bilious and lung fevers prevailed. Men of the Twenty first, Twenty seventh, Thirty second, and Thrity eighth regiments suffered the most."

-Camp Franklin had two sutlers, Mr. Gilbert and Mr. Woodnough. It was recorded that Oyster Soup was distributed free to the sick of the camp by the post sutlers.
    -Many in the 32nd were uniformed by a Dubuque Mercant named Mark Smith.
    -From the September 13 copy of the Dubuque Herald,
    "The soldiers about town appear to be enjoying themselves as much as possible. A number of them got together last evening with their girls, and had a "little dance" out at Martin Schaffner's. Jim Lilley furnished music for a large crowd.
    The boys, both in camp, and those quartered about town, speak very well of the eating arrangments, and say the victuals are plenty and good, but complain of their sleeping quarters, as the nights are getting cool. For the last few nights about two dozen have staid in the Press Room of this office, where the temperature is higher than out of doors. Blankets are wanted now."

Dubuque was a hotbed of southern sympathizers because of it's location on the Mississippi River. One of the largest storys of the time was the arrest of Mr. Mahony, the editor of the Dubuque Herald as well as a congressman from Dubuque. In the Herald he was often openly anti-war and had southern leanings and was often accused of treason. On August 14th he was taken from his home and sent to a jail in Washington. He sat there for over 10 weeks without a trial, hardly even hearing his accusations against him. This was one topic that everyone in Dubuque at the time would have been talking about.
    In early November the 32nd Iowa left Dubuque.

From the Nov. 18th editon of the Dubuque Herald,
    "Complimentary-Two companies belonging to the 32nd Regiment paid our office the favor of three groans yesterday morning, on their way to the river. We considered the demonstration highly complimentary to us. The greatest indignity such men could have shown us would have been to have cheered us. Those who approve of the outrageous course practiced in the arresting men without any warrant of laws-in detaining them in dungeons and jails without any charges of criminal conduct, and who violate every provisions of the Constitution we are all sworn to support, can confer upon honest citizens no compliment by either cheers or any demonstration of approbation. The very fact that they oppose us in conlusive evidence of our integrity. Let them pass. It is presumable that they knew no better.
    We do not mean that all these men are thus overwhelmed by ignorance or prejudice. We saw many in the Company who did not groan. Such men are gentlemen by nature, and will never turn thier backs upon the enemy. Those who groaned are the men who will be the most likely to run when danger comes."

Appearing in the next days edition of the Dubuque Herald is,
    "Complimentary- We omitted to mention that the two companies of the 32nd-the members of which groaned our office-owed us $15.65 for copies of the Herald ordered by them, and left at their camp; and that they took away three barrels of apples from the levee without paying for them or letting the owner know it, and that Ernest Young's house was near their camp and was burned down the night before they left town. We mention these things in order that honor may be givern to whom it is due."

More will hopefully to come after I make another visit to our Historical Society.

Dan
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Re: 32nd Iowa Information

Dan,

Thanks for this!

Can anyone post the fonetik (pun intended) spelling of Dubuque before I butcher it?

Thanks,

Will
    Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
    Saginaw City Light Infantry
    Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
    Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
    http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Will,

DUH-BUKE (rhymes with puke)

Mark Warren
      Hairy Nation
      [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
      "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
      Mark Warren
      Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

Mark is right. Dubuque is actually my home town. The town is named after a French furtrapper/lead minder named Julien Dubuque. There was also lots of lead mining around Dubuque, but I am not sure if that was still going during the Civil War.

With the last name Chmelar, and a hometown of Dubuque, I have gotten very used to my name and town's name being butchered. Anymore I get surprised if someone gets my name RIGHT.

Anyway, heading to the historical society again today, will let you all know what else I find.
        Dan Chmelar
        Semper Fi
        -ONV
        -WIG
        -CIR!

Comment

Two more things I forgot to mention in the first post. According to the Herald, the 32nd came into Dubuque by train on the 27th of September. Another large thing that happened in Dubuque at this time was that the Iowa State Fair was held in Dubuque on September 30- October 3rd.
          Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

32nd Iowa soldier image with a little bit of his history.

sigpic
            Grandad Wm. David Lee
            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I know this is not necessarily about he 32nd Iowa but sheds a little light on what was available in the area. I found these in the O.R. and figured you
              32nd Iowa Guru's might appreciate the read:

Rolla, MO., April 25, 1863

General Vandever:
              I sent the infantry regiments of your division to Pilot Knob yesterday, to operate as Second Division, Army of the Frontier. I have scouts out to wantch the bridges on Southwest Branchy, Pacific road. Keep me posted. the probability is that I will move from there to Pilot Knob with balance of command, and take your transportation with me. We are reducing baggage and issuing [B]shelter tents[B]. Nothing new from southwest.
              F.J. Herron
              Major-General, commanding

Columbus, Ky., April 26, 1863
              General"
              Leiutenant Livingston, Aide-de Camp to Brigadier General Montogery, has just arrived from Cairo, and reports that heavy artillery firing commenced early this morning at Cape Girardeau, and has continued all day.
              I would be glad to take the enemy in the rear, but my troops here are all provided with condemned arms, worthless in the field. the Bostona No. 2 is now at landing, with over 10,000 stand of good arms and ammunition, consigned to Capt. J.P. Harper, Memphis. Can I take 3,000 stand and ammunition for my troops, and will you give your consent to the movement proposed?
              I will in anticipation, take steps immediately to secure transportation.
              Asboth
              Brigadier-General

Memphis, April 26, 1863 - 11 p.m.
              Brig. Gen. A. Asboth:
              The commanding general directs that if you are sure there is a real attack, you will take 3,000 stand of arms and move up.
              Respectfully,
              henry Binmore
              Assistant Adjutant-General

Columbus, Ky., April 27, 1863
              Colonel:
              At the urgent solicitation of Brig. Gen. John McNeil, commanding at Cape Girardeau, I have this morning sent him two regiments of infantry, a section of artillery, and 100,000 rounds of ammunition for his comand, with directions to send back the troops as soon as re-enforced by Brigadier General Vandever, which he expected to-day. general McNeil wrote me that he had been attacked by Marmaduke, with four brigades, 8,000 men, and repulsed him, but would be attacked again.
              As my troops here were all provided with condemned arms, I considered it necessary to take from a large lot of good arms on steamer Bostona No. 2 consigned to Captain Harper, Memphis, 3,000 enfield rifled muskets, as alluded to in yesterday's telegram, and had my expalnatory report ready to send by Bostona, but she left from the lower depot without orders or permisson. the report will be sent by first boat.
              Asboth
              Brigadier General

Hope this helps
              Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth
              When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Just in case you forgot. Four companies of the 32nd were detached. They spent their time looking for Marmaduke. Do not get confused with the six other companies. The regiment was split. Major Eberhart(Terry Sorchy this fall) took the four (two of which we are portraying) and the other six went with the Col. I have marked the parts in bold that show the four companies we are to portray.

What we are doing in the fall is correct for what happend in the spring. With me?

Remember registration is due in six months.

32nd Regiment Infantry
                October 15-16; thence to St. Louis, Mo., November 21-23. Attached to District of Columbus, 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of Tennessee, to January, 1863. District of
                Organized at Dubuque and mustered in October 6, 1862. Moved to Davenport, Iowa, Columbus, 6th Division, 16th Army Corps, Dept. of Tennessee, to January, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Corps, to March, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to June, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Corps, Dept. of Tennessee, to December, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division (Detachment), Army of Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland, to February, 1865. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Corps, Military Division West Mississippi, to August, 1865.

SERVICE.---Companies "B," "C," "E," "H", "I" and "K" moved from St. Louis, Mo., to New Madrid, Mo., November 25-28, 1862, and duty there until December 28. Expedition to Clarkston, Mo., December 17-21 (Cos. "C" and "I"). Evacuation of New Madrid December 28, and moved to Fort Pillow, Tenn., December 28-29. Duty there until June 20, 1863. (Co. "F" at Fulton April 1 to June.) Ordered to Columbus, Ky., June 20, and duty there until January 20, 1864. Expedition to Rickman, Ky., August 1, 1863 (Cos. "B" and "I"). (Co. "C" mounted July 1, 1863, and attached to 4th Missouri Cavalry until January 15, 1864, when rejoined Regiment.) Companies "H," and "I" ordered to Island No. 10 September 1, 1863. Action at Island No. 10 October 16 (Cos. "H" and "I"). Expedition to Tiptonville November 21 (Co. "H"). All Companies moved to Vicksburg, Miss., January 20-26, 1864. Meridian Campaign February 3-March 2. Meridian February 16. Near Canton February 27-28. Canton February 28. (Cos. "A," "D," "F" and "G" detached from Regiment and moved to Cape Girardeau, Mo., November 25-28, 1862. Attached to District of Southeast Missouri to July, 1863. Reserve Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Army of Southeast Missouri, to August, 1863. Reserve Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Arkansas Expedition, to December, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Dept. of Arkansas, to January, 1864.

SERVICE.--Garrison duty at Cape Girardeau, Mo., until March 14, 1863. Moved to Bloomfield March 14 and return to Cape Girardeau April 21. Action at Cape Girardeau April 28. Pursuit of Marmaduke to Castor April 28-May 5. At Cape Girardeau until July. Moved to Bloomington July 10, thence march to Clarendon, Ark., July 19-August 8. Steele's Expedition to Little Rock August 8-September 10. Expedition up White and Little Red Rivers August 13-16. West Point, White River, August 14. Harrison's Landing August 16. Reed's Bridge, Bayou Metoe, August 27. Shallow Ford, Bayou Metoe, August 30. Bayou LaFourche and capture of Little Rock September 10. Duty at Little Rock until January, 1864. Expedition to Mt. Ida November 10-18, 1863. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., January 31-February 5, 1864; thence to Vicksburg, Miss., February 7-9, and duty there until March, when rejoined Regiment. (Red River Campaign March 10-May 22, 1864. Fort DeRussy March 14. Battle of Pleasant Hill April 9. Cane River Crossing April 22-24. At Alexandria April 26-May 13. Alexandria May 2-9. Retreat to Morganza April 13-20. Mansura May 15-16. Mellow Bayou May 18. Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., thence to Memphis, Tenn., May 20-June 10. Lake Chicot, Ark., June 6-7. Smith's Expedition to Tupelo, Miss., July 5-21. Harrisburg July 13. Tupelo July 14-15. Old Town Creek July 15. Smith's Expedition to Oxford, Miss., August 1-30. Tallahatchie River August 7-9. Abbeville August 23. Moved to St. Louis, Mo., September 16; thence to Desota, Mo., September 25. March through Missouri in pursuit of Price September 25-November 19. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., November 21-December 1. Battles of Nashville, Tenn., December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood December 17-28. At Eastport, Miss., until February, 1865. Expedition from Eastport to Iuka January 9, 1865. Moved to New Orleans, La., February 9-22; thence to Dauphin Island, Ala. Campaign against Mobile and its Defenses March 8-April 12. Siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely March 26-April 18. Assault and capture of Fort Blakely April 9. Occupation of Mobile April 12. March to Montgomery April 13-25, and duty there and in District of Alabama until August. Mustered out August 24, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 101 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 213 Enlisted men by disease. Total 322.
                Nathan Hellwig
                AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Working...
                X