Preservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation

I just wanted everyone to know that there is a preservation effort in the works for the event. Many of you will no doubt pass by one of the surviving earthworks. If you drive past Patterson.

The big problem with the fortification in Patterson is that people are using the parapit as a ramp for ATV's. It looks like our efforts will go towards putting a stop to that. They also want to get some interpretive signs on the site.

In Ellington there are plans to make the site more accessible to the public and there are plans to construct a path arond the fort versus over it.

Details about the actual fundraising will come out as the event gets closer. Until then enjoy the pictures.
    Frank
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: Preservation

Frank,

I will pledge $30 toward the construction of a cheveux de frise on either side or both sides of the parapit. Model ATV's can be hung from the sharp end of the stakes.
    Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
    Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
    Shoemaker

Comment

Frank,
      Thanks for posting this information on the current use of the fort by ATVs. It's hard to believe tha a National Historic Site is being used in such a disrespectful manner. Wonder what kind of fine these people would be subject to if they were caught in the act?
      Robert Gobtop
      Ol Sipley Mess
      ONV
      Proud Member of the S*** A** Platoon BGR

Comment

There have been a few generous donors that have pledged to send contributions for the forts.
        If anyone would like to donate money directly to the cause please send checks or money orders to

Star of the West Society
        3914 Castleman Ave.
        St. Louis, MO 63110

There will also be a raffle with-in the A-C community to raise money. Rob Goptop is assisting with this and I will let him list the items we have acquired so far and how to donate through him.

The effort seems to be going well so far. In addition to our effots here and the generosity of several donors, I am happy to report that a local University with an Archaeolgical program is very interested and wants to make this a major project. Nothing is set in stone yet but the prospects of this dig are looking very good and may provide volumes of information for local historical societies and the people who visit the site.
        Frank
        Frank Aufmuth

Comment

With the event only 4 months away here's some of the things that have been donated for the raffle. I have included the value of those items I had the value of. This is only a partial list.

Wisconsin Vets Museum--Tin cup

Karl Pasch donated--Fed fatigue blouse museum grade jt martin fed trousers, fed contract shirt. All supplied by W&W, Dan W will also allow a gift certificate sub for any of these items equal to price of items.

Dusty Chapman--DVD Battle of Franklin.

Trans Mississippi DDepot--Many items,
          1 Cincinatti Depot US Canteen Complete $75
          1 US Leather Canteen Sling $30
          1 Hughes Pendergrass & Snow Web Box Belt $40
          2 Plain Web Suspenders $35 each

Karin Timour--1 pair socks

Anna Allen (a.k.a. The Graceful Lady)--Man's pleated Dress Shirt (Value $125)

Deborah Hyland-- 1 neck warmer $50
          1 sleeping Cap $45

Wide Awake Films is donating $250 and Two sets of their Civil War DVD's.

Thank you to all the donors and this is not the end of the list.
          We will be outlining ways to donate and posting the required donation for the above raffle within the week.
          Please help.
          Frank Aufmuth
          Frank Aufmuth

Comment

The List continues:

Fred Baker-- fully handsewn shirt. Winner can select either the Holyday "CS Issue Shirt" or the Louisiana shirt. Holyday will be constructed of Ben Tart's osnaburg, Louisiana will be constructed of FHW's shirting. Value is $100.

Frank
            Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Well the event's coming up preservation effort seems dead in the water until today. Raffle tickets are $2 each
              Anyone wishing to help preserve some Civil War Forts in SE Missouri can either send checks to:

Star of the West Society
              3914 Castleman Ave.
              St. Louis, MO 63110

or

you can send donations to starofthewestsociety@gmail.com and pay via paypal. Please add a dollar to your contribution to help pay for the paypal.
              Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth

Comment

When will the raffle take place? That is a great list of items.

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

Comment

The raffle will take place on Sunday on the field um valley right where the event ends, During that lull at the end of the battle when folks are thanked and congratulated. Ya'll ought to be on the road by noon.
                  Frank
                  Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Bump on the preservation. If you are interested in donating to the preservation effort supported by the event, but will not be able to come to the event, you can donate through the pay-pal on the registration form. There are over 5,500 members on this forum, skip that extra
                    coffee/coke/bag of what-ever and get a donation in to save a National Historic Site from the Civil War; they don't make them anymore.
                    Robert Gobtop
                    Ol Sipley Mess
                    ONV
                    Proud Member of the S*** A** Platoon BGR

Comment

Working...
                    X