21st Texas Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21st Texas Impression

There are other posts on this even regarding material culture and some very good information has been shared with everyone reading this board.

I would like to share a concern I have about the impressions and remind everyone that Marmaduke brought Cavalry. This was a raid and he wanted to move fast. Some men were unarmed and some were dismounted but he seems to have brought everyone for fear that those left behind would desert.

This means that for for those of us portraying the 21st Texas we have the task of building an impression that makes us look like cavalry and not infantry. Those of you who are coming mounted, this doesn't apply to you.
    However for those of you coming dismounted, the 21st unlike some of the other Texas "Cavalry" regiments managed to keep their horses through out the war. At the same time we know that at some point at least a few of the men in the 21st ended up dismounted around the time of the raid.

For those of you coming dismounted you will have the challenge of looking like cavalry, albeit, dismounted. The guidelines on the event website are all good but realize a texas cavalry man who just lost his horse would probably not have a knapsack. Blanket rolls are probably the best way to go. Perhaps a mixture of saddle bags, or an extra haversack will fill the need if you must have extra baggage.

Regarding the material culture of the 21st all I have garnered comes out of a couple autobiographies. I've seen mention of Mississippi Rifles, shotguns, in addition to the pistols each man carried (Which according to the dug artifacts thread mentions predominantely 31-36 Cal. pistols with a few .44's. William Zuber carried his on a special sling that went across the pommel of his saddle until his mule went down. Those were lost when one of his comrades picked him up.
    Neither Buck Walton or Zuber mention anything about uniforms. Walton evidently was wearing a black buckskin suit that hand been dyed with oak bark. He also mentions at the time of Patterson stopping one of his companions from shooting a Federal that was dressed like them, (In ragged civilian clothing). Zuber did not mention uniforms until about the time the 21st disbanded at the end of the war. These however never seemed to make it to the troops as it seems the wagons were looted in Shreveport, LA.
    Frank
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: 21st Texas Impression

Frank,

How do you feel this information should impact The US troops at marmadukes raid ?

RM

Neither Buck Walton or Zuber mention anything about uniforms. Walton evidently was wearing a black buckskin suit that hand been dyed with oak bark. He also mentions at the time of Patterson stopping one of his companions from shooting a Federal that was dressed like them, (In ragged civilian clothing).
    Last edited by Rmhisteach; 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    Rod Miller
    [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
    A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
    1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
    1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
    1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
    1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
    Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
    1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
    Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

The 32nd Iowa was well supplied with uniforms, traps and weapons. Our guidelines have been set and they are not going to be changed.
      The only thing I can add is that we should have a very "dirty" campaign look. The four companies of the 32nd had been moved from point to point. We should not have any citizen clothes.

Rod, if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me

Holler
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Hlloer ,

Just inquiring . Should have asked it different ly . Not suggesting that we should change anything

RM
        Rod Miller

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

These remarkes are about the look of the 21st Texas, and was directed towards Confederates. This will not impact US troops in the slightest. The federal in the quote was NOT from Iowa but Missouri Militia. After reading my quote I should have seen that someone would pick up on that. This is one of the two times times anyone from the 21st Texas described clothing and it was a case where Buck Walton said "hey, the guy looked like us." This incident occurred early in the raid before they met the 32 Iowa.

Aside from that the only impact you should encounter is an "enemy" that looks like wanna be horsemen and this will be the only impact my statements here should have on you.

Frank
          Frank Aufmuth
          When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Frank.

Aside from that the only impact you should encounter is an "enemy" that looks like wanna be horsemen and this will be the only impact my statements here should have on you.

Just an itme of warning some of yourwanna be horsemen may take a look at some of us horse faced, built like oxen Iowegians and want to throw a saddle on us . Please advise them agin it. We buck and bite. :wink_smil

RM
            Rod Miller

A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

If you really must wear boots, might I remind folks to ensure the boots are properly broken in. New boots and marches don't mix. Secondly remember boots also effect the way you walk, bend over etc. Get in shape and practise wearing boots, If you do not wear them now on a daily basis.
              I rode horses almost everyday in my job for 13 years. When i finally went dismounted I could quickly tell how much my legs changed.
              Lastly If you must wear spurs, remember again practise with them on. Finally If ya must wear spurs, dont' squat too low :p.
              Dusty Lind
              Running Discharge Mess
              Texas Rifles
              BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Working...
              X