Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heartfelt thank you to you all.

To all of you gentlemen and the ladies as well who attended,

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to you all for coming to the anniversary this year. It made for a very memorable experience for me and for the public who came to see all of us. I enjoyed meeting all of you that I had the opportunity to meet and I enjoyed sharing stories around the fire with you. Again, I cannot thank you enough for coming, I hope that you traveled back to your homes in safety, and I hope to see you again at future events.

Respectfully,
    Matthew S. Laird
    [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
    Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
    [/COLOR]
    [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: A heartfelt thank you to you all.

What were the approximate numbers of participants, what was the nighttime low temperature, and how much snow fell during the weekend?

Comment

On Friday night it got down to 14 degrees over at Leetown and in the Morgan's woods. On Saturday it was between 22 and 32 degrees during the day. Saturday night at about 10:30 PM the thermometer in the Ford said it was 32 degrees at Elkhorn Tavern and it was 29 degrees at Leetown. It was spitting very little snow on Saturday in the morning, almost too little to notice. I do not know what the temperature dropped to on Saturday night, other than it did not feel as cold as it was on Friday, but it was nice weather on Sunday, sunny and in the 50s by the afternoon.

We had twelve to represent the 3rd Louisiana and I apologize but I was not able to to get a count of the others that were there.

Mr. Corbin, Mr. Thomason, Mr. Hicks and the rest of the folks that were at Leetown representing the 4th Arkansas on Saturday did an outstanding job demonstrating the skirmish drill and though they could not hear it from across the field they got plenty of compliments from the public.

The Holmes Brigade and the MSG also looked very sharp in thier demonstations at the Tavern and received a good share of compliments from the public as well. All in all it was an outstanding event and I am very glad that I participated.
      Matthew S. Laird
      [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
      Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
      [/COLOR]
      [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I believe we had 16 in the MO State Guard company. The snow was to the East.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

The 4th Arkansas had between 17 and 21 men present at various times through out the event. I have to say Pea Ridge is one of the most beautiful parks I have been too and one of the best perserved. I understand the park is working even harder to return the landscape to how it appeared in 62 in addition to expanding the Visitors Center. I can not wait until those efforts are complete. You can bet I will return when they are.

My heart felt thanks to everyone one that made the journey (in most cases a very long one) and braved the cold to take part in this event. Though our numbers were small, I think we did a great job of portraying those men that fought and died there in 1862.

To the men of the 4th Arkansas, you all did an outstanding job. Though our skirmish drill started out a little rusty by the end of the weekend we looked like seasoned vetrans. It was an honor to command such great men.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Hey all,

Still a little bleary, but I wanted to write and thank all involved for the efforts it took to bring
            this one off ~ a great way for me and the boys of the Old Northwest in attendance to visit
            one of the jewels of our battlefield parks. When we went up to the overlook, it took very
            little effort to imagine the ebb and flow of the battle that took place there, or the Federal
            cannonaide that forced the Confederates off that rocky prominance. If you are looking for
            a great NPS vacation destination, include Pea Ridge in your wish list.
            Special thanks to all the boys who came through the storm to attend - Tripp told me it took
            them as long to get across Arkansas as did the rest of their entire journey! I would also
            give a round of applause to the able and tireless musicians who made our time encamped
            near the Elkhorn tavern so much fun!
            I would also like to thank whichever of the fates decided that cold was enough for our time
            here - during the actual battle, they had snow, strong winds and a full day of rain. We had
            just a taste of that, and it made us respect the grit and raw determination of the brave men
            who gave their all here even more.
            Lastly, the men of the 4th Arkansas Rgt., Company B - you boys are the best!

If anyone has pictures, please post them. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.
            Your most obedient servant and comrade,
            James C. Schumann
            Mess #3
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Here are a few pictures. I was not there as a participant.

Chris Talburt
              Attached Files

Comment

For some reason it is not working. I will try to post some pictures tonight.

Chris Talburt

Comment

In the Missouri State Guard we had 18 rifles one Sgt. and two drummers although a couple of the rifles deserted off and on.
                  We spent Saturday working on drill and by Saturday afternoon we were virtually flawless in execution.
                  At one point we were actually using drum calls during the demonstrations.
                  Simple stuff like commence fire, cease fire, and deploy as Skirmishers (out of Scott's). Considering the drummers were as young as they are I'd say they did a pretty good job.

MSG looked pretty good with all the confusion that seemed to reign with the impression before the event.
                  The Morning Inspection on Sunday showed all too well the differences between a well equipped Confederate army and the Missouri State Guard. I was cursing my Missouri state government in Little Rock under my breath. No bayonets, some without (what most of us would consider) Cartridge boxes, and low ammunition.

I got to see a lot of old friends I hadn't seen in awhile. The music and camplife on Saturday night was about as good as it gets. There were so many bones being played during the evening sing along I thought there was a slight chance we might rock the Elk Horn Tavern off its foundations. Now four years ago I brought some canned oysters and sardines and could not get rid of them. This time on Saturday night, Both companies made a pretty good oyster stew. The 4th Arkansas used Rice, the MSG made something that resembled a chowder. If it were up to me the MSG would have won that competion. It's little things like that, that make it something different that the usual Living History.
                  All went well can't wait until they finish with the park.
                  Me and the boy survived although Xavier was pretty worn out this monrning and I guess I'll get his AAR later.

Thanks to all of you that made the 8+ hour drive across the big scarry river and the white out on Friday. Lastly, thanks to the guys from this side of the river that portrayed the forgotten army (MSG)
                  Frank Aufmuth
                  Frank Aufmuth
                  When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

All in all i thought it a pretty good weekend, other than the arctic temperatures on friday night that is....
                    But I have to say the "Bone-da-mania" present on Saturday night had to be one of the highlights of the event....
                    Travis Franklin
                    "Patrick Fhailen"

The Missoura Shirkers
                    4th Mo. Inf.

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

Comment

Here a few images, starting with pictures of the rations issued on Saturday Night at Elkhorn Tavern:

Click on the images for a larger image

Enlisted Mans Rations

Officers Rations

Men in the Sunken Road awaiting to do a demonstration on Saturday.

Elkhorn Tavern

Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Had a great time despite the cold.Saturday morning dawned with ice in the canteen.Slept much better Saturday night with a windbreak made by the rail fence at Elkhorn.Sunday morning inspection found Pvt.Wat Terrill of the MSG on report twice.how much trouble is he in?
                        Thanks go out to the WIG,glad I got to meet some of you guys.I hope all made it back safe and sound.
                        Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
                        Tater Mess Social Orchestra
                        Missourah Shirkers

Comment

I know I saw a Park Ranger taking TONS of pictures of Sunday. Anyone know if they plan on posting those online somewhere or not??

Chris, Wish I would have known you were coming. I was with the 4th Arkansas company. Would have been to meet you. Oh well.

Dan
                          Dan Chmelar
                          Semper Fi
                          -ONV
                          -WIG
                          -CIR!

Comment

Dan:

I did not make it down until Sunday around 11:45. I wanted to go for the weeked but I could not work it out. I am hoping to make it to an event or two without my horse to nail down my infantry drill.

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

Comment

I would like to thank Landrum for the great idea for the event and I wish he could have been there with us but the car from Jeeeeeeorgia made the long hall there and it was "WELL WORTH IT." It is one of the best preserved parks in th,e country. I had a great time and will be back in future years. Tripp, Kiev Herb and I agree though, next time we're flying ;)

To all the "ONV" (I like my defintion better :D) it was great to see you boys again.
                              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                              [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X