Clear All

• Review and New for Federals Going to Pickett’s Mill

Review and New for Federals Going to Pickett’s Mill

REVIEW
    • Bring 60 rounds and the appropriate amount of caps per man
    • Be prepared to move often so go light
    • Be prepared for a lot of skirmish formation
    • Practice your bugle call recognition
    • Rations will be issued Saturday morning so eat well Friday night. Rations are based on New Hope Church accounts. By the way officers will be issued the same ration and amount as the men, as per accounts

NEW
    • Be on site no later than 10:00 Friday for after that you won’t be allowed on site, as per the statement on the website, “All those participating in this event must be on site by 10 PM on May 30th. There will be no exceptions to this rule. The event will go live at 11 PM.”
    • All activities are based on historical accounts from the New Hope Church action so if we’re doing something that doesn’t seem to fit, it does
    • Since we are using ramrods everyone is expected to be well schooled and extremely safety conscious so please practice loading with the ramrod from the prone, kneel and standing so when you get to the event it is second nature.

Address/Directions
    Pickett's Mill Battlefield Historic Site
    4432 Mt. Tabor Church Rd
    Dallas , GA 30157

Located 5 miles northeast of Dallas off Ga. Hwy. 381 on Tabor Church Rd., accessed by Dallas-Acworth Rd. or Due West Rd. If using I-20, take Exit #44 (Thornton Road).

• Go to the shelter parking located on 92(north from Due West Rd.. south from Dallas Acworth Rd.) if you’re going federal. There will be a shuttle service from there to parking.

• Water will again take water from a common source so please recognize that putting a dirty canteen in the barrel only pollutes the water for others. We’ll use a clean cup for filling canteens. Also, water discipline is important for although there will be ample water at locations we need to be aware of our consumption. Before we move out it is advised that every man finish off a canteen then refill.

• TAKING HITS is a part of any event that involves firing into an opposition. On Saturday we will break first person for must a minute to explain how we are working with those who take hits. Right now it looks like we will ask those taking hits to join another company or dead company. More details later.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    15 days from now we’ll all be home recovering from an event we made great so keep preparing and I’ll see ya in Georgia. If I have forgotten to mention anything, please add to this post.

Steve Acker

Re: Review and New for Federals Going to Pickett’s Mill

Steve,
    Do you know if there will be any ammo available for purchase on site?

Thanks
    Brandon Jolly
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Hey Comrade,

I have heard of nothing like that but hopefully someone sees this post that can help.

Steve Acker

Comment

There are no plans at least from those of us coordinating the event for an ammo purchase. Sounds like it would be a good thing for some young person wanting to make a little extra spending money to do.
        [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
        [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
        [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I hope someone will. I had forgotten all about the flame throwing portion of events. This will be my first event in over four years. I wouldn't even know where to get powder from these days. Thanhs!
          V/R
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Brandon,

If you live near a Bass Pro Shop they have plenty in stock.

Questions be wondering, is there anyone coming to sell their goods.
            Thanks
            Daniel MacInnis
            Adair Guards
            Commonwealth Grays
            [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

I have just confirmed the Traveling Man's Emporium will be at New Hope sell various wares including rounds on Friday before things kick off.

Comment

Anyone who is not excited for this yet, you should be.
                Those who are not familiar with traffic in that gigantic ghetto should plan wisely. Traffic heading north on I-75 out of atl can start backing up BADLY any time after 2:00 p.m., especially on friday.
                It's about 45 minutes from the perimeter to the Mill, I have gotten hung up and taken almost 3 hours.:cry_smile
                You would be well advised to consider that, especially if you have a furry critter in the box behind you.
                Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Greattraffic point. WHen I was there a few weeks ago there was mass road construction on 75, making a short trip an hour longer. Suggestion is to use the bypass if your flying in or coming from the SOuth ( help me with the HWY number).

Steve Acker

Comment

The perimeter is I-285. Is completely encircles the city. Steve is right, DO NOT GO DOWNTOWN. If you come in on I-20, I-75, or I-85 from the south or west, look at a map and use I-285 on the west side. I-20 from the east, come straight thru to I-285 on the west side. If you are coming down I-85 from the Carolinas, you're just screwed. Take I-285 across the top and pray!

A couple of notes sinse I'm on my soap box. If you are heading north on I-285 and approaching I-75 north, the exit will be to the right, and then you will fork left to go north. HWY 41 exit is right there by it, so read carefully.

On the way home on I-75 south approaching I-285, the exit is also to the right. However, and here's the wierd part, I-285 east is to the right, and west is to the left and then they cross over and go the correct direction. Go figure.
                    Confused yet?

Patrick Peterson
                    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Paul,
                      If something happens beyond your control that would delay you such as a major accident snarling up traffic and you contact myself or Steve we will certainly work with you and not lock you out of the event. Trust me living in Atlanta has taught me all about unexpected traffic issues.

However we do expect everyone to make the effort to be there by 10pm.

Comment

Paul and the rest of Comapny B. I will have my phone on me up until the event begins or everyone arrives. I will send my number out to you on the email list this evening.

Scuba Steve
                        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                        [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Traffic tips for weary travellers

If you are looking like you're going to be hitting the ATL around "rush half-day" (cause in Atlanta, an hour just don't cut it!) I can give you a cut that will keep you out of interstate traffic seeing how I drive a big truck around North Ga. If anyone else wants to throw our friends a bone, feel free.

If you're coming down I-85 S from South Carolina, you can get off at the Buford/Sugar Hill/ Ga. Hwy 20 exit (my neck of the woods) take Hwy. 20 west all the way to I-75 in Cartersville. Get on I-75 South and get off at Red Top Mountain Rd. Take a right and you'll dead end into US Hwy 41. Take a left on 41 and follow to Acworth. You'll soon come upon Ga. Hwy 92. Take a right on 92 and follow the provided directions to the Mill. (total trip time from I-85 to the Mill should be about 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hrs. if you don't stop to eat. Plus you get to see more of Georgia than you would going thru the mega ghetto AND you'll happen on Williamson Bros. BBQ in Canton- definitely worth it!:D)
                          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                          WIG/GVB
                          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

My folks went back home to Atlanta today and said there wasn't any construction going on along 75 south until downtown, but then again that could change. Drive safe y'all.
                            Heath Potter

South Union Guards
                            Star and Crescent Mess
                            A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
                            Franklin Preservation March
                            Backwater 1865

Comment

A local DOT affilaited web site shows construction on 75-85 downtown all week, so avoid that. The route across the top end that Chris gave is a lot of nice countryside. I used to go that from from Lawrenceville years ago to get to the Mill. It has developed so much that I can't even tell where I am up there sometimes.
                              Downtown construction was suspended for the weekend, not sure when it started back. The message boards said so on monday afternoon coming back from the Mill.

Patrick Peterson
                              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                              X