DAR, during action report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAR, during action report

The putrid smell of flesh singed by black powder permeates my nostrils as I lie here at the regimental hospital in Kennesaw. My thoughts however are at New Hope Church, wondering the fate of my comrads. The surgeon is fairly certain that I shall recover completely from the wound which has placed me here.

Little did I know that after 18 years of fighting a 4 year war, the only wound I was yet to receive would be inflicted by my own self. I cannot even imagine how many times I have placed a revolver in the half cock mode in order to check the movement of its mechanisms and safely returned it to its holster. Nor can I imagine how it is that the hammer fell upon the cap unleashing a point blank shot into my lower abdomin.

Prior to this unfortunate occurance the event was progressing splendidly as the Mill always goes. Regretfully I can offer no more insight into the battle as I was evacuated after having fired almost the first shot.

It is somewhat appropriate that in the confusion that is my life, this should occur. I have ridden insane horses carrying pistols, rifles, sabers and side knives through many hazardous actions and come out unharmed. And then I accidently shot myself as an infantry bugler, with nary a horse around.

I anxiously await more news of the battle.... which others will doubtless provide.

(as I dictate this, I am lying on a hospital bed, awaiting final treatment- while my girlfriend types away on the laptop.)
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Re: DAR, during action report

Pete,
    I was shocked to hear about your accident. I am glad you will make a complete recovery. You missed some good fights.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Glad to hear you're still ornery and kickin', buddy. We were all worried about you. Sgt. Jowers took good care of you till the meat wagon got there!
      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
      WIG/GVB
      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Glad to hear that you are well enough, everyone was worried about you.
        -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
        "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
        "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
        "The Bully Boys"
        "The Hard Case Boys"
        "The Independant Mess"
        29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
        3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Miss having you out there but glad you're okay. Take care.

Steve Acker

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing okay. The civilians at the cabin really freaked when we saw and heard the fire trucks and ambulance drive through the park. Not having the military around at that point in the day and being a good walk from the visitors center, we had to wait it out to see what all had happened!
            Elizabeth Landrum
            IR Team Mom

Comment

Pete,
              Glad you are doing ok, has anyone heard anything about the guy who had a snake bite?

Comment

See Pete it was safer riding my crazy horse! Hope you have a full recovery! The other Critter's said you have a habit of going off half-cocked, but I thought it was all talk!

Mike Nickerson

Comment

Dale,
                  I talked to Art yesterday morning.From what he said,the snake bite guy is doing fine.He is getting out of the hospital today,with a few months of theropy.

Pat,sorry about your crotch.Glad to hear you'll be ok.

I want to say good job for everyone when it came to the snake bite.Those who knew what to do moved fast and worked hard.It is very reassuring to know that if anything happens in the future,y'all will be there to take care of it and make sure the person will be ok.And I can assure you the fellow with the snake bite will be thanking y'all.
                  Last edited by tenfed1861; 06-02-2008, 04:51 PM.
                  Cullen Smith
                  South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Glad to hear everyone is going to make it, both Patrick and “the snake bite guy” have been in my thoughts since Saturday. You scared some of us Patrick we thought you might have blown off something important.

Oh ya, and Tripp next time you may want to leave the red shirt at home it makes a really pretty target.

James Sturckler
                    Mess #1
                    James Sturckler
                    Mess No. 1
                    Dayton, Ohio
                    www.bummers09.com

Comment

I was fairly certain I was killed several times over. I am not sure the red shirt would have made any difference or not.
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                      [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                      [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by trippcor View Post
                        I was fairly certain I was killed several times over. I am not sure the red shirt would have made any difference or not.
                        LOL...from the Federal side it was toss up between you and Hicks' blue cap. Both of you were great open targets on several occasions for those on picket.
                        Micah Trent
                        Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                        Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Dont worry Tripp,
                          We had a Red Shirt walking around our camp, so there would have been two of you...by the way Tripp, great show!

Comment

Fellas,

A bunch of us visited Phil (the snake bite guy) at the hospital on Sunday, and he was very appreciative of the guys who helped him up the hill the day before. He was pretty high on morphine, and asked us to tell Sam Watkins something for him, but I'm sure he was sincere with his thanks. He's on his way home if not there already, but I figured I'd pass along his message and let you know that he's OK if he's not able to get on a computer right away.

-Craig Schneider
                            Last edited by CSchneider; 06-02-2008, 08:37 PM.
                            Craig Schneider

Comment

In spite of what Guy Musgrove told everyone, I did not actually shoot off any parts!!! :p The wound was in the lower abdomin right of center just below modern belt line.
                              It was an intersting case. The surgeon on duty was not able to find any references on any of his medical website dealing with gsw's from black powder blanks that actually penetrated the skin. When he opened the wound he found an area about the size of a golf ball that was vacant. The tissue was gone. In it's place was the cream of wheat that was on top of the powder in the pistol, which was swelling up with the bodily fluids. It hurts a lot, but not as bad as you would think.

I am very grateful to Buddy Jowers for staying with me till the "meat wagon" carried me off, and for the excellent job of getting my gear to the car.

I have gone over the thing in my head at least a hundred times and still don't know how it happened. From the angle of trajectory I know that I was moving the barrell toward the holster and would not have had my finger on the trigger.

Coley told me about Phil on saturday evening, but he must have gone to a different hospital. I hope he is ok, and doesn't catch as much crap from it as I know I will! ( and already have)

I greatly regret having let you all down by missing the event.
                              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                              X