Company E, ala Rouxbarb Bohoys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company E, ala Rouxbarb Bohoys!

Men of Company E, you have proven once again that groups from all over the country can come together and mesh as one. It was my honor and privilege to be in command of such a fine group of living historians and servicemen past and present.
    No matter what the challenges were Company E was ALWAYS at the forefront of it and the first in. The officers andNco's overcame some challenges at first, but Lt. Hudspeth performed flawlessly as did Sgt McBride who stepped into the orderly position and Sgt. Gerow that then went to second Sgt. It made my life SOOOOO much easier knowing I had dependable men to count on.
    Cpls. Gobtop, Little, Piquette and Argue were also top notch, as were brevetted Cpl's Beasely and Loyd. Bully Job Boys!
    But mostly the men performed magnificently. You boys did what you were asked and didnt grumble much. You were proffesional and courteous and it was a pleasure to call you Company E.
    Next time I will bring RouxBarb pies for Y'all Char!:tounge_sm
    Cheers and Thanks Boys
    Terry Sorchy

Re: Company E, ala Rouxbarb Bohoys!

Hooah for Company E!!!

Comment

Johnny Lloyd's AAR for the 29th Ohio

Hooah for you too Dale... ;) "laissez le bon temp roulette"--- and so they did this past weekend.

In the great words of a wise, yet unknown man...

"Hey you... keep it short, dammit!"

So-

1) Lawdy... don't run us into those rebel guns again!!! ;) (But that was QUITE realistic for just a few seconds...)

2) Our left flank was virtually unprotected when we bedded down on the road in our final entrenched position on Saturday night. Only 2 picket posts were over there and should the enemy have chosen to pull a sweeping attack on that flank toward our middle in any sudden concentrated fashion, we all would be pushing up daisies in Elysium. Especially with cannon support to weaken us up before an assault... scary if it did happen.

I know Mr. Pharr is a strong guy, but I don't think he could have held all of them off for long by himself had that scenario happened.

3) Sustain the momentum of moving a charge uphill! Ya'll take that hill when the commanders tell you to do so- especially since we got 'em runnin' back to Atlanta. :) It didn't help the rebs were blowing erroneous bugle calls either, so I thought I heard. Shenanigans!

4) Uh... guard 3 times in one night ... possibly 4??? Well, I guess I'll just swallow more coffee beans and complain like any good private. :p

5) Yep rebs... we knew there was a road directly to the rear of our lines... we had guards there should you try to use it! Good thing you didn't...

6) Pioneers are an infantryman's best friend. Huzzah for Marse Craddock and company! A truly unique impression, gents...

7) According to my Feb. 64 copy of Harper's, bad breath is the 'curse of humanity'. Wow, you learn something new every day...

8) Mr. Sorchy... I'd follow with you into battle any day! ;)

9) Combat speed... combat speed- get into position and unleash hell!!!

It was the most fun anyone in the hobby could have while getting so deliciously dirty and being so wonderfully miserable.

I love this stuff... ;)

A sincere thanks to all that came to make everything real and especially thanks to those that organized such a wonderful experience. The great people make the experience!

If you ever wanna talk, just PM me. ;)

-Johnny Lloyd

PS- Anyone got good pics???
      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 06-02-2008, 06:48 PM.
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

As the #4 man on the gun during the first fight in that woods on Saturday, I can say that was quite a rush. John Cleveland had all of us working the gun lay down when we were loaded to make it look like we were killed, then seeing a company come down the middle of the road and unleashing the furry was quite the rush!! Man it felt like we were loading fast!!

I wanna also thank the Critters and especially Jerry Ross for loaning me my mount and for the good time this weekend. Finally I was able to ride at a Tier One event. It was pretty fun rushing those fords with our Spencers blazing away and seeing Guy take that hit in the middle of the creek!!!
        Dan Chmelar
        Semper Fi
        -ONV
        -WIG
        -CIR!

Comment

"Our left flank was virtually unprotected when we bedded down on the road in our final entrenched position on Saturday night. Only 2 picket posts were over there"

Yeah Johnny...but it was Company I over there. So your flank was fine. :)

Proud Lt. of Company I, and Inaugural Member of the 29th Ohio Track Club,

Andrew Jerram
          Kind Regards,
          Andrew Jerram

Comment

One thing I'll never forget was putting down a headlog to pick up my gun and rush over to repulse a reb probe of our right. "29 Ohio track club" is the damn truth!

Martin G. Owen,
            Orderly Sgt. Co. I
            29th Ohio
            Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
            WIG/GVB
            In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I had a wonderful time running with you all. Thanks to Capt Sorchy, I'd serve in your company any day.
              -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
              "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
              "The Bully Boys"
              "The Hard Case Boys"
              "The Independant Mess"
              29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
              3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by pipthelimey View Post
                "Our left flank was virtually unprotected when we bedded down on the road in our final entrenched position on Saturday night. Only 2 picket posts were over there"

Yeah Johnny...but it was Company I over there. So your flank was fine. :)

Proud Lt. of Company I, and Inaugural Member of the 29th Ohio Track Club,

Andrew Jerram
                Lawd... ya'll must'ive been camoflaged well... I didn't see anyone.

Were ya'll on the road that let-out into the rear of the blue lines? 2nd plt, Co E didn't see anyone over there but 2 picket positions by the road.

-Johnny
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

Yup our left was well covered by Jerram's entire company on the road. They had good entrenchments and an excellent field of fire.

I sit at school all clean and well fed yet why do I miss being in the field right now?

Steve Acker

Comment

Originally posted by plankholder View Post
                    I had a wonderful time running with you all. Thanks to Capt Sorchy, I'd serve in your company any day.
                    Eli,

When you said running...boy were you right, we did not need a Federal CAV Unit, with Company E in the BN. Like I said in the other thread, look forward to a long working relationship with some of the guys I served with. This was a good event, because good people were there.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Acker View Post
                      Johnny,

Yup our left was well covered by Jerram's entire company on the road. They had good entrenchments and an excellent field of fire.

Steve Acker
                      Well, the maxim holds true as it did when I was an officer in the Army... "never ask a private what a general should know..."

:p

-Johnny
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

The great thing I saw in the company, be it the guys in the ONV, or the 16th La. or the MooCows or the other independents was the level of skill and talent that not just the Nco's had but the men per say. It was a company that I will be proud to have been a part of the rest of this nutty carrer.
                        Forward Buckeyes! Bully 29th!
                        Cheers
                        Terry Sorchy

Comment

Johnny,
                          Our picket posts were pretty well camoflauged. One of our privates, A Monsieur "Cornbread" is a former SF type, and it was neat watching him camo his picket post. Almost too well, as a young pioneer brought a tree down near his post. Cornbread didn't flinch though.

AJ
                          Kind Regards,
                          Andrew Jerram

Comment

Originally posted by pipthelimey View Post
                            Johnny,
                            Our picket posts were pretty well camoflauged. One of our privates, A Monsieur "Cornbread" is a former SF type, and it was neat watching him camo his picket post. Almost too well, as a young pioneer brought a tree down near his post. Cornbread didn't flinch though.

AJ
                            I know ol' bread well, sir.

Cornbread is like a ninja- "strike silent, strike deadly"

:p -Johnny
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Comrades,

Thanks again to all of the men of Company E that continually stepped up and got the work done. I know reinforcing our breastworks Saturday night for the third time was questioned by a few of the men, but it is no wonder why we were not attacked on 0ur left flank...because our works were so strong!

Thanks to all of the NCOs that supported me. Corporals Argue, Gobtop, Little, and Piquette were overworked but never underappreciated. You were the key to making the company run smoothly. Your tireless devotion to your duty in the face of "one more detail" really set the tone for your men. Thanks also to Sgt. Gerow for all of his ideas and advice--truly a professional. Without him, the company would not have been successful. Finally to the brevetted Corporals...thanks for stepping up when we lost three of our Corporals in that frontal assault. You stepped right up and took care of your men. You all made the job of Orderly Sergeant much easier. Thanks!

Finally, our officers were top notch. Thanks for the great leadership. I think I speak for all of the men of the company when I say we would follow you anywhere...even in another frontal assault against entrenched infantry with artillery support.

It was great to see old friends and meet many new ones. I hope I get to serve with you again soon. Thank you again Company E for allowing me the honor of serving as your orderly.

I remain, &tc.

1st Sgt. James McBride
                              Company E, 29th Ohio
                              J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
                              [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
                              [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X