32nd AL point of view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32nd AL point of view

Well all in all it was a good time. Good to see some old faces, and meet new ones. You Ohio boys may have gave us a run early but we tried to give you a scare Sat afternoon. Nothing like coming to an event Infantry and by Sat night you are working a field piece with "Gunner, Lt" Thomason. Hope we kept your heads down and rattled a few teeth with our fire from the "werewolf " battery. Dont remember who came up with that name for us. Hats off to everyone in 32nd AL. and the artillery crew pressed into service.

Sorry the Federals had to put up with Thib all of Sat. after he was captured. And sorry for the the French profanity from my cajun file partner.

It was odd, alot of the 14th Louisanna boys where from Alabama, and alot 32nd Alabama boys were from Louisanna.
    Jacob Hill
    Independent Rifles

Re: 32nd AL point of view

My hats off to our NCOs this past weekend.Y'all kept the 32nd a fighting machine that was a rash on the a**es of the Pioneer Platoon,we well as the left wing of the Federal line.Sat. evening couldn't have happened without you fellows.
    It was good to meet many good fellows who I look foward to serving with in the future.Hope everyone made it back save.And hope y'all didn't get poison ivy too bad.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Had a great time fellas. Thanks for putting up with the NCO's and the male nudity.
      Regards,
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
      With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
      Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
      We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Hurst,thanks for the nightmares.
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Gents,
          Several months ago Art Milbert approached me with the choice of 2nd Lt or Orderly Sgt for this past weekend. As I have only been orderly Sgt two times before this I jumped at the opportunity with some hope that I would perform the job as well as some of the great Sgts I have marched under or had as my own orderly (this list includes the likes of Joe Smotherman, Brian Hicks, John Duffer, Jim Conley, Tim Prince, Derrick Morefield and Andrew "Abner" Martin of Skillet Licker Fame- so the shoes were mighty big to fill) Hopefully I did not disappoint any of the men in my task.

I want to thank- 2nd Sgt Brian DeRochers, 3rd Sgt Austin Mitchum, 4th Sgt Jeremy Hurst, 1st Cpl Michael Comer, 2nd Cpl CJ Davis, 3rd Cpl Jake Hill, and his long lost brother 4th Cpl Heath Potter. I never had to give orders to them, they took the job seriously and impressed me very much. Our Lt Kiev "Boom" Thomason was great as usual, and our Captain Art Milbert did a fine job leading the men through some rough ground in Georgia.

All in all, I had an enjoyable time. For me the ride up was the highlight. I had the chance to spend a great amount of time around people I do not get to see enough and it made my year. I believe our new motto in the IR will be "Tom-Tom: we will follow you anywhere, but only out of curiosity"
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Thanks Pat you did a great job and kept us motivated when God knows we wanted to just lay down and not move another inch. You are among those you mentioned.

Hope everybody in the 32nd that took part enjoyed snorting lines of dental snuff. It really pumps you up........if you can take it.

Hurst you nice moon really made me laugh beyond control. I will dream of it:wink_smil
            Last edited by Jake Hill; 06-02-2008, 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
            Jacob Hill
            Independent Rifles

Comment

After being in this hobby for many years it isn't often that I get a chance to try something new but I did at this event. Small things make the difference and for me, while I enjoyed the whole event and was very glad to be in the best company on the field, two things stand out. Listening to axes on trees across the way and then hearing the sound of them being felled and knowing what was going on while being helpless to stop it was certainly interesting. But, helping bring that gun down the hill and into our line on Saturday afternoon was the highlight of the event for me even if it was only about ten minutes of time.

I have never done anything like that and it was a real learning moment for me. I was sure this thing was just going to take off and drag us all to our immediate deaths but with the men on the furlong and the crew on the wheels it was surprising how comparitively easy it was to get that big old thing down that hill.

Plus, I have never slept as soundly as I did on Sat. night at an event. That's what real tired does for you. Even at BGR with its toll on the body I didn't sleep as well as I did on those pine needles behind those works.

And Mr. Landrum - I thought you did a bang-up job as Orderly Sgt.

Art - always a pleasure to serve with you.

1st platoon - Thanks.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

By far the best company on the field.

Hearing those Federal Pioneers work during the day and the steady sound of gunfire added to the experience behind those works. Thanks to all involved in putting this one together.

Sgt Splatter.
                Brian DesRochers
                Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
                Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
                Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

I must say it was a great weekend! Was almost captured twice, got to place a feild peice and was one of the last few to quit the log works sunday morning. I belive the officers and NCO's of the 32nd did their job great! Can't wait to rub what happed that weekend in the faces of my freinds who backed out!
                  First platoon all the way!

Michael Mumaugh
                  Michael Mumaugh
                  Interpretive Ranger Mansfield SHS
                  Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
                  Outpost III
                  Pickett's Mill
                  Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Comment

Working...
                  X