Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To The Men of Co. I, 29th Ohio

Men of Company I,

It is with fond memories and a grateful heart that I write to you concerning your recent actions in and around Owens Mill during the engagement at New Hope Church in Georgia. Your sterling performance under difficult conditions set an example for the Battalion and I shall always be personally very grateful for each and every one of you.

Captain Acker has on several occasions given me his compliments and asked me to convey them to you, which I now gladly do.

From the onset, our two platoons came together in an admirable fashion with each of you selflessly watching out for one another while executing and performing your many duties - not only diligently, but while maintaining good humor!

In my many years of service, I struggle to recall a company of men with whom I have served, who have so quickly adapted to the task at hand and have done everything they have been asked to do, so quickly, completely, and willingly. Bully job Company I!

My hats are off to our 4 gallant Corporals, who quietly and efficiently did everything that was expected and asked of them, diligently and cheerfully, during the campaign:

Elias Rushon (Kevin Whitehead)
    John Sage (John Jackson)
    John Abbott (Evan Zimmerman)
    Horace Heath (Eric Tipton)

You did yourselves and Ohio (and Georgia!) proud boys!

Last but certainly not least, how can I put into words the actions and service performed by Sgt William Gustine (Joe Liechty), Orderly Sgt. Martin Owen (Chris Henderson), and 1 Lt. Stephen Kissinger (Andrew Jerram)? Kissinger filled in where I could not, often without asking ... I have every confidence that one day he will make a fine senior officer who will lead from the front. Gustine and Owen - words fail me (for once ... thank God, I hear you say!). Your dedication and devotion to each of the men in our company; selfless, whole hearted and sincere, while always taking care of all the minutiae that goes into running a company - such service is hard to put into words. I could not possibly have done it without you and you made my job so much easier. You put "us" before yourselves, and no greater compliment can be paid a man.

Gentlemen - again, I thank you. I hope that I will be granted the opportunity, privilege and pleasure to serve with you all again. Until then, I remain your most humble and obedient servant.

You are forever in the heart, memories and affections of this officer.

Yours,

Paul Jerram
    late, Capt. Russell B. Smith, cmd'g, Company I, 29th Ohio
    Paul Jerram
    Black Hats Mess
    Armory Guards, WIG

Re: To The Men of Co. I, 29th Ohio

I'd like to thank everyone in Co. I, Sgt. Maj. Klas, and Capt. Acker for making this weekend one of the best that I've ever experienced in my 20-something years of reenacting.

First I'd like to thank all of my new PARDS whom you know as Mess No. 1. You were all such a joy to work with. Sgt. Gustine, you'll ever be in my heart as one of the finest men alive. Mr. Horace ----- (I left it out just for you) and Mr. Abbott, your help with the men and being part of my eyes in the ranks took away alot of the @$$ I could have been. You three ran your platoon better than I could have ever expected or hoped, for that, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Cpl.s Rushon and Sage were my other saving graces doing everything asked and not asked and for all of you I am eternally grateful.

Without my privates I would have been nothing. I never heard the first complaint from the mouths of any of you. You pulled every detail, watched out for each other, and defended each other with the voracity of brothers. I've never seen a harder fighting company in all my life.

Lt. Kissinger- "You're a lousy Jew!!!" Thanks- and you know what for.

Last but not least, my Captain, "Crispy" Smith. You're one of my closest friends and you hold a special place in my heart. I want to thank you for the faith and the opportunity to be your orderly Sgt. for this event. You were one of the biggest reasons our company gelled so quickly this weekend.

Now, Co. I, get off your feet and get some damned water down your necks- NOW!!!

Sgt. Martin G. Owen
    Orderly
    29th Ohio Co. I

P.S. I'll treasure my buckeye, Joe. And all my buckeye PARDS.
    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
    WIG/GVB
    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Thanks Captain Smith, Sergeant Owen and Lieutenant Kissinger for providing the leadership that made our company run. Thanks to all of the rest - sergeants, corporals and privates for your enthusiasm and for living in the moment. We had a lot of fun this past weekend and I know the rest of the Mess No. 1 Boys had a bully time.
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

I echo Horace Heath's comments (ha ha I said It Eric) The leadership this weekend was wonderfull and I came away from this one with many a fond memory and new Pard

Thanks to All

James Sturckler
        Mess #1
        James Sturckler
        Mess No. 1
        Dayton, Ohio
        www.bummers09.com

Comment

I was very appreciative of all our guys' willingness to listen to commands and get the job done quickly and efficiently. We got used to throwing up cover every time we stopped without blinking. Y'all were also ALWAYS watching out for one another whether it be Chastain with his food poisoning (that's what it ended up being, by the way), the endless water details, or getting each other out of the way of that damned cannon- you treated each other as brothers and I couldn't be more proud of how each of you handled yourselves and each other.
          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
          WIG/GVB
          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Working...
          X