To the Planners,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the Planners,

First of all, Thank You. This event gave me such insight into the lives of the Real Campaigners. I now know something of how it must have been to fight in tangled, woody hills, to trust my life to breastworks, and to bathe in Pumpkin Vine Creek:wink_smil.

I am curious, however, as to what specific things were planned by the event staff. I figure the Federal's halting march on Saturday had to be intentional. How much of what we experienced was scripted? Was the copperhead planted by Tripp?:tounge_sm Enquiring minds {well, at least one} want to know!

I had a blast...
    Yours, &c
    Adam Clark
    -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
    Connor Clune

Re: To the Planners,

I want to know what we were supposed to be portraying there?
    Chad Wrinn

Comment

Adam,
      The copper head was not scripted. That was just luck. :( We had a pretty good timeline worked out for the event with specific places we wanted to be during the course of the day all based on the original accounts we could find. We did have to condense things because the original battle covered about a 3 mile retreat by the Confederates before they were able to stop the federal advance and force Sherman to try for the flank leading to the Battle of Pickett's Mill.

We pulled some specific things we hoped to pull off between the specific times. Some of these happened and some did not. For instance during Saturday night there were suppose to be patrols and raids of both lines. We decided to forgo that due to everyone being slagged out and having to travel. The artillery was planned though not exactly as we used it. Originally it was going to be up in the cornfield firing away. However I felt it would have a bigger impact if it actually in our lines in view of the Federals. This was not without historical basis because the 32nd Alabama did have a gun that was moving with it during the actions at New Hope.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
      [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
      [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by trippcor View Post
        Saturday night there were suppose to be patrols and raids of both lines. We decided to forgo that due to everyone being slagged out and having to travel.
        Heck, I was waiting all night for that to happen!
        Chad Wrinn

Comment

Many thanks to Tripp Corbin, Coley Adair, John Cleveland, Robbie Mitchell, James Wooten, Chuck Winchester and any others I may have missed for putting this event together and allowing us to take part in an event at such a pristine site. Although it was a scripted historical scenario, I thought it allowed enough flexibility for some spontaneous action by the reenactors. If some of the command decisions seemed odd, it was so we could stay on schedule to experience the historical scenarios set up. I also hope the man bitten by the snake is doing well and that Patrick Petersen is recovering from his wound. May I also add that the Pioneers added a unique element that I had not yet experienced in reenacting at that level.
          Thanks to Steve Acker for trusting me to serve as his Adjutant. Thanks to Tom Klas for being the Sgt Mjr and handling the left end while I handled the right. As always it is great to work with commanders like Ken Giddens, Terry Sorchy, Steve Ewing, Pat Craddock and Paul Jerram because you can trust the experience they bring to the game.
          And of course I am biased and was happy to see the SCAR company G work so well together as they always do. Fine job to you all.

Regards,
          Jim Butler
          Jim Butler

Comment

This was a very well planned and executed event. I heard nothing but praises from the men in the ranks, and talk about magic moments and period rushes. This event is one that will be talked about for ages.

Thanks again to Tripp et al for putting together one top drawer event!
            Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
            Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
            Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
            The Tater Mess
            The Widow's Son Mess
            WIG's
            [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

Working...
            X