Top Five of Picketts Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Five of Picketts Mill

Each of us had a different experience at the event, from the Pioneer chopping down a tree to the the artillery putting one on us. Many of those experiences have been shared on different threads. As the fed commander guy I had some experiences that others may not have had a chance to enjoy. I share my top five.

1. The officers call when we made our plan for the last assault on Hazen's Hill. Two Reb prisoners were listening in as we made our plans for yet another flank attack. Each officer gave a report as to the situation on his front and from there we made our plans. When we finished I shot the prisoners a nod for I knew our plan was solid. Oh by the way taking the final position on Hazens was killer.

2. Seeing the pioneers sprint ahead of us as we formed the battalion Saturday evening. The congestion and confusion of different commands all doing their duty came to life at that moment.

3. On our return from the first attempt at the final Reb position and seeing pioneers have works already established. I saw one young pioneers sprinting, with a log half the size of him, up to the work, drop the log and sprint back for another all while the battalion was reforming for another go.

Having three bodies of troops in the field, to me, gave for a much richer experience. It didn't feel like a 100+ reenactors moving through a wood. When we came down to the creek to the sight of cavalry skirmishing and pioneers working it added another layer to the experience. A true immersive moment.

Finally and for me the coolest was how our battalion was able to extend a long line, put intense pressure on specific locations, take advanatage of opportunities, always have our flanks protected (by geopgraphy or men), and we worked together so well in a very fluid situation in those conditions.

I had a blast.

What were your top five?

Steve Acker

Re: Top Five of Picketts Mill

In no particular order:

1) Hearing "crrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaak......THUMP" on the really huge tree that was cut in the morning when the Pioneers made obstructions on the trail.

2) Returning from canteen detail Saturday evening, being only 30 feet from camp when the fighting started. Dropped the canteens, got accoutrements on, grabbed my rifle and joined the counter attack with the rest of the Pioneers. Looking at the one Johnny alone behind small cover really close to us, and before I can react seeing that Nate Petersburg had already taken 3 giant running steps toward him with Craddock and many others close as well. That Johnny got out of there fast at that point.

3) Sunday morning, after the attack on the Federal right was repulsed and some more chopping, having Craddock say "10 minutes full marching order." At that point thinking I was about drained and didn't have much left. Shortly after, when the Federal attack kept pushing up the hill, still going, one foot in front of the other, going on and on, not sure where the energy to keep going was coming from.

4) Taking a rest in the original trenches on Saturday afternoon while we guarded prisoners.

5) Sunday towards the end when the other Federal companies were getting on line, having Craddock march us past. The sincere compliments from so many as we marched past were truly touching.
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

1. On saturday night five of us went down to Pumpkin Vine Creek and bathed by candle-light. Being hot and sweaty, the cool water bath was something I'll never forget. The experience was tempered by thinking about the soldiers who undoubtidly did the exact same thing.

2. The Pioneers on Saturday evening: The sound of axes and falling trees was simply amazing. It really put me into 1864 and was somthing I'd never seen at an event before.

3. Attacking: Sounds kind of general, I know, but this weekend gave me insight into two specific areas: How difficult it is to maintain momentum when all you want to do is rest, and how quickly a line breaks down into a gaggle in rough terrain.

4. The Suprise Attack: As I said on another post, I was on the pickett line, munching my crackers and pork, having taken off my traps to get comfortable. That was a mistake. The suprise and fear as I grabbed my things and vamoosed back to the line, while fleeting, was intense.

5. Seeing all my pards again.
      Yours, &c
      Adam Clark
      -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
      Connor Clune

Comment

1. The work. Manual labor is something that always gets my mind in the right place. I would have chopped trees down all night if I could have.

2. The taunting. During the second rebuttal of the flank by us Pioneers, we began to taunt the rebs, making crow sounds and obscene remarks. That really got me there.

3. The camaraderie. I have never seen a group of guys who are partly or mostly strangers like the pioneers were gel so well. It was VERY reminiscent of the original Pioneers, formed out of the entirety of the Army of the Cumberland, but ended up still becoming the best of friends, regardless of the great regional differences those men had. I made that historical note in my head and kept it there. We were so busy at the event that we were all messing around like we were the best of friends, but at the end of the event, we still didn't know eachother's names. That was really amazing.

4. On Saturday night my messmates and I within the Pioneers sang some songs (albeit that I forgot most of the tunes and lyrics) and then we read excerpts from a period copy of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories. That was cool.

5. I agree with Andy on this one, resting in the original trenches was really cool. I felt like I'd never slept better in my entire life.

I had a blast this weekend and it definitely is one of the best events that I personally have attended.
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by GWHall View Post
          In no particular order:

2) Returning from canteen detail Saturday evening, being only 30 feet from camp when the fighting started. Dropped the canteens, got accoutrements on, grabbed my rifle and joined the counter attack with the rest of the Pioneers. Looking at the one Johnny alone behind small cover really close to us, and before I can react seeing that Nate Petersburg had already taken 3 giant running steps toward him with Craddock and many others close as well. That Johnny got out of there fast at that point.

I was that last Johnny. After the assault stalled out, and I found what little cover I could; all I remember is seeing about five big 'ole Yanks in shirt sleeves come running out the works, yelling at the top of their lungs. Time to high tail it back. Thanks for the moment fellas.
          T.J. Bruegger
          [B][FONT="System"]Tater Mess[/FONT][/B]

"That's right dude, the beauty of this is it's simplicity; once a plan gets too complex, everything can go wrong. If there's one thing I learned in Nam..." Walter Sobchak 1991

Comment

In no particular order...

1. That discussion with the other guys in my company on Friday night (whom I couldn't see because it was so dark) about the goings on at home, our concerns about family, and how bad we wanted to go home.

2. Jeering the pioneers while they were knee deep in the creek and the bath we rec'd afterward.

3. Calling out roll call during the weekend at various points and having some names without an answer. That was kind of real when I found gaps in the ranks. I would cuss the rebs at each of those.

4. Sharpening axes for the pioneers. I know those boys were tired and after seeing the conditions of a couple of their tools I understood why they were sweating. You can chop a tree with a butterknife but you're going to wear yourself out.

5. Building the works for our left flank- especially picket post #2. I found a rock pile and built the bottom half of stone and then piled the biggest deadfall I could find on top.

6.(If I may) Meeting so many new people- especially my new pards in Mess No. 1, Steve Acker, and Tom Klas.
            Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
            WIG/GVB
            In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Wow, just five! This may be difficult.

1) Seeing 16 men, many who didn't know each other before the event, come together with a sense of purpose and determination – to do a job regardless of heat, blisters, short rations, or fatigue – all the while keeping a good attitude and ready to respond to any request or demand. PRICELESS.

2) Knowing that there was a battle going on Saturday afternoon but seeing NONE of it because we were too busy felling trees and building breastworks to notice what was happening. That is until, at dusk, after ten minutes of rest the Pioneers were ordered without ceremony or formation into battle – most wearing their leathers over bare chests and NONE with canteens, as ours were not back from a water run. And not a man flinched or hesitated.

3) Hearing the sounds of working axes, the creak and groan of falling trees, and the site and sound of a dozen men giving a rope all they had to move the base of an 80’ tree to coax it to finish falling away from the thick canopy of another tree.

4) I ordered two sections of the Pioneers into a creek to repair the ford while under fire. Seeing them nearly falter under that fire, I spied a carbine lying on the opposite side of the creek next to a dead cavalrymen who was face down in the creek. I stormed into the creek, grabbed the carbine and dove against a rise at the other side to work that carbine to support what was left of our dismounted cavalrymen on that side of the creek and my Pioneers working in the creek. All the while the poor dead cavalryman who was face down in the creek, and whose carbine I grabbed – Guy Musgrove - was about to drown because no one had thought or bothered to drag him out of the creek! Sorry, Guy!

5) Rekindling old friendships and making new friends.

After reflecting on the event I wrote this to a member of the Pioneers:

“That experience of being Pioneers lit a new flame in me. I have already forgot the heat, sore hands, and tired muscles and can only remember the shared experiences of difficulty that forged us into that awesome platoon. I looked at the photos that Pat Lewis shared of our group and I didn’t see a group of worn-out ready to go home civilians. I saw the whole platoon pulling on a rope together to bring down a stubborn tree… [then seeing] four men working at one time to cut it into head logs. I don’t remember the misery – only the shared hardships that created an esprit de corps that won’t soon be forgotten."
              PATRICK CRADDOCK
              Prometheus No. 851
              Franklin, Tennessee
              Widows' Sons Mess
              www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

For me this was an interesting event. On Saturday morning starting out as Federal Cavalry, then changing uniform and working the cannon, gave me several perspectives from the event. But here are some of the highlights.

1. Working the cannon on Saturday afternoon. I did artillery for about five years before I started doing cavalry/infantry, but this was the most intense, realistic time I have been on a gun. Just seeing the Federal attack start to falter and breakup due to our firing down the middle of the road and the infantry in the breastworks was amazing. From my perspective it looked like the whole Federal army broke into a route at that point.

2. The woods completely being filled up with smoke during the same fight I spoke of in #1. Man cannons create a lot of smoke.

3. Saturday morning when we were Federal, rushing the fords twice was quite the rush. Sprinting through the creek and reaching the other side with our Spencers barking was pretty intense.

4. During the Saturday morning fight John Cleveland took a hit in the middle of the road. Seeing him in the middle of the road wounded and exposed to fire I knew we had to get him out of there. Scott Little and myself dragging him out of the middle of the road and to safety; seemed very real to me.

5. Finally getting to meet up and ride with the Critters. Great bunch of guys and cant wait to ride with them again.
                Dan Chmelar
                Semper Fi
                -ONV
                -WIG
                -CIR!

Comment

A timely post from Mr. Acker, since I have spoken with a number of people this week since the event and we have also shared some of our favorite moments from last weekend, an event that left a mark on the memory that will be there for many years to come. I apologize that not every one of my "top five" are all necessarily "period moments", but yet, in a way, perhaps they are ...

1. Seeing a diverse company (Georgia, SC, Mess # 1 from Ohio) "gel" and come together so quickly, even starting on Friday evening when we first moved into our quarters for the evening. That included especially seeing my senior NCOs (Orderly Sgt. Owen - Chris Henderson & 2nd Sgt. Gustine - Joe Liechty) start working as a team from moment one, slipping into their period roles so easily and fluidly it was like they belonged there.

2. Sitting down by a tree by that ford crossing on the first day, with the Pioneers down in the creek, working on improving it ... and watching a number of my company slipping back into just being young men, completely absorbed with lobbing little dirt clods (ably supplied by me, I might add) and pine cones into the creek ahead of the gallant Pioneers. Roars of approval from the company when especially Cpl. Heath (Eric Tipton) and Sgt. Gustine managed to create a big splash or bait the Pioneers into coming closer when depositing their rocks. And, of course, looking back to see the hearty Pioneeers get their revenge on the hurlers, bathing and splashing them as they in turn crossed the ford!

3. Urging on the men in my company, up and alongside the road on Saturday evening, in front of that damned Yankee cannon ... seeing men naturally hold back in caution and seeing the "fear" in their tired and worn eyes.

4. Proudly looking down the line at my son on several occasions during the campaign and realizing how short a time (but still almost 19 years) - but how long a journey - it has been, since he and I started down the road in this "lifestyle". Just watching him do his duty ... and wondering how a man might have really felt under those circumstances had he been in such a terrible place with his son, or perhaps his brother.

5. Renewing old friendships and forging new ones.

Quite an event ...

Paul Jerram
                  formerly Capt. Russell B. Smith, Co. I., 29th Ohio
                  Paul Jerram
                  Black Hats Mess
                  Armory Guards, WIG

Comment

Again boys Thanks to Tripp, Coley, Steve and all those that made New Hope Church so memorable.
                    The top five are:
                    1. Friday night, finding out we lost a few key players in our company but having just as talented men step up and fill those positions so well. Outstanding job boys.
                    2. The way our company worked together. Heck if it wernt for the different accents theycould have been from the same town in Ohio.
                    3. Marching down the road and having Col. Acker have us deploy to the right. Going to the right only to find out the ground dropped off to the creek below and looking across the creek to a ridge and seeing the johnnies dug in.
                    4. Having the Col. ask me to arrange and carry out a parlay for a prisoner exchange saturday night. Standing at the CS works still looking down the cannon barrel waiting for the exchange to take place.
                    5. The sound of the axes during the firing saturday and sunday and the site of the trees falling all around us and us making works from them. Oh yes, the sight of all those lilly white chests with accoutrements and trousers manning the firing line saturday night during the CS attack.
                    I could easily write 5 more but I will wait for another day.
                    Thanks All for a great experience.
                    All that were there I consider family.
                    Only crappy thing about the event: Got home feeling poorly only to find out late this week I have bronchial phenmonia. Sucks!:(
                    Cheers:D
                    Terry Sorchy

Comment

Great Event.... Thanks for the Fun...

1) Meeting up with Friends and meeting new ones.
                      2) Drinking too much water allowed me to view the first push on Saturday evening. Walking up and seeing the lines push against the Confed. Line and watching Pioneer Company chopping and making the breastworks was just too much to explain.
                      3) Following orders of Lt. Runyon and falling in on the road only to see a line of Confeds aiming down the line and watching Justin react when he realized it.
                      4) The Saturday Evening Confed attack without warning. I don't think I could have put my stuff on any faster, and watching Andy run back to the lines with his arms full.
                      5) Watching one brave soldier parley with the other line asking for a spot of tea and only to be ran back to the Fed line.

Overall a good event, next time will be in better shape.
                      Thanks
                      Daniel MacInnis
                      Adair Guards
                      Commonwealth Grays
                      [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

1 - That first moment of satiated curiosity when I realized those critters running across my face Friday night may well have been scorpions. Not something we see a lot of in Indiana.
                        2 - Running off the Confederates on Saturday and realizing the position we were in happened to be a pair of artillery redoubts left over from the reenactment at Pickett's Mill in '63.
                        3 - Meeting some folks I've known only on the forum like Johnny Lloyd, Paul Jerram, Chris Henderson, Steve Acker, Guy Musgrove, etc.
                        4 - Sharing the ride (and the gas) down with some good friends... I doubt I'll ever forget the "Skittles" truck.
                        5 - Getting in a good jab at Justin as he went across the "Ferry/Fairy Crossing" on Saturday afternoon.
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Top 5:

1.) Resting in the actual redoubts which we took over on Saturday

2.) Being asked by our overall commanding officer to take one other individual and scout out the road ahead after we pushed the Rebs off after the first attack on Saturday. We went out only to find ourselves too far away from our own lines and was spotted. The fear of being captured was almost to become a reality. We got back safe however to report.

3.) The surprise Rebel attack while on picket duty. As mentioned in another thread, it was my "oh sh*t" moment of the event. And watching Adam Clark invite the Johnnies over for tea, only to eventually go over with a truce with a letter in hand. Next thing you know he is running away and being shot at. Classic!

4.) Bathing in the Pumkin Vine Creek. After a hard days work on Saturday, it was quite rewarding to cool off and refresh. It was ashame that I had to put one those stinking, sweaty, wreaked of "these need washed bad" clothes!

5.) Taking part in the final assault on Sunday morning. I don't know how we did it. For one company to stop and catch a breather, there was another right behind them pushing on and after a few minuets...join back in only to see this go on for a long period of time. I was drained, but I cannot imagine how the Rebs felt after continually falling back non stop, barely having time to stop and take a shot!
                          Micah Trent
                          Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                          Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Hi gents,

My top five for New Hope Church,

1.The battlefield is simply pristine and I am glad to have been able to participate in two events here in 2004 and now 2008. I hope the good people of Georgia realize what they have in their backyard. Each event had its own remarkable moments that my mess mates and I will relish for quite some time. Thanks again to the organizers of another fine event.

2.Seeing our federal commander lead the charge in the middle of the battalion several times during the assaults on Saturday and Sunday morning. It was inspiring to see how the men reacted to our commander’s enthusiasm!

3.The pioneers were first rate - a wonderful memory I will have of the event. Many thanks to Pat Craddock for putting such a dedicated group of men together. One of our best living history moments was the building of the works for our defense after our last engagement on Saturday. The chopping of axes and felling of large trees will be a site to long live on with me. One of the best lines of the weekend came later Saturday evening from a soldier in the federal ranks who was asked by a visitor, “Where is Captain Craddock?”, and it was exclaimed, “He is over there by the naked men.” Lt. Hudspeth, Orderly Sergeant Mc Bride, Sergeant Gerow, and myself all had a good chuckle over the hard working men in the Pioneers.

4.Having a great time meeting many new comrades and old chums at the event. It was a pleasure to meet Chris Henderson, Steve Ewing, Jerry Gauge and chat with many new faces. Also good to see Jim Butler, Paul Calloway, Pat Craddock, Mess #1, and many other chums again. I was impressed at the way everyone pulled together to make the event successful.

5.Among many excellent efforts during the event, Company E showed a habit to be in the thick of it on both flanks of the federal line. Captain Sorchy, Lt. Hudspeth, and Sgt.’s Mc Bride and Gerow did a wonderful job keeping both flanks secure by order of Captain Acker; splitting their platoon’s during our movements on Saturday. Every now and then I would check in with Adjutant Butler to see how the right wing was doing and Captain Sorchy’s platoon was always in the thick of it. Lt. Hudspeth’s platoon was active as well protecting our left flank several times during our movements on Saturday. Well done to the men of Company “E” covering a lot of ground for us.

I hope to see many of you at Marmaduke's Raid.

Tom
                            Tom Klas
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Citizens Guard

Comment

1. Allways first and foremost. Seeing old friends, and sharing a van with the best of them.

2. Charging the Pioneer's without taking a step! Kept the Feds thinking & heard
                              some pretty terrible things being shouted as we stood shaking trees, stomping around.

3. Getting the oppertunity as NCO for 32nd Ala.
                              (Thanks to Kiev, Pat, Brian big help guys!)

4. Blocking off the bridge near the creek. Everyone was tired but everyone didn't miss
                              the oppertunity to help a brother lift a tree.

5. Seeing Fed. troops at nearly every turn and knowing if I stoped running and help pushing our company that we'd be dead or captured. Knowing a bit more what it must have felt like for the confeds. acctually there.
                              Regards,
                              [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
                              With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
                              Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
                              We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X