Event at Pickett's Mill 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Event at Pickett's Mill 2008

Have been in exile for the past three years but am working my way back. Am unaffiliated at the moment but hope to remedy that ASAP. Bill, nice to see you are still around, really enjoyed the WOTJ a few years back. I sure hope to be able to make this event.

Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, Private, Wall's Texas Legion
    Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

Welcome to the Terrordome!

Pickett's Mill 2004 was easily the sweatiest, hilliest, hungriest, scorpionest event I've ever attended and I loved every minute of it! In 10 years of this reenacting stuff Pickett's Mill was the first event to give me the fabled "magic moment." Then this thing called Payne's Farm came around and I was in the magic place again during the heavy marching order 1+ mile non-stop skirmish by the bugle (thank you Mr. O'Beirne!).

I will not miss Pickett's Mill 2008 for anything. If Mark Mason attends I hope to see him with a hatful of those little scorpions again!

Brian White
      Wambaugh, White, & Co.
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Definitely count me in! HEY! my avatar was taken at Picketts Mill!
        [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Haha, so I guess I should mention my arachnophobia now?
          Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
          Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
          Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
          <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
          <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
            Tripp,

Thanks for clearing that up--documentation is saving the hobby... :)

About James's post, I think the CS WMD program did indeed include chiggers. I had my first run-in with those nasty beasts at Rich Mountian--got eaten alive, I did. Then in my very next event, Second Bull Run 2006, I got eaten even worse by chiggers, plus my first tick (after 13 years of reenacting). Those events were in WVa and Va. I suspect that chiggers in Georgia are about an inch long, clapping jaws, and sometimes ride scorpions.

No wonder why the Yanks of 1864 called it "The Hell Hole". I used to think it was because of the Rebs, but now I believe it was because of the flora and fauna around Dallas, Ga.

Oh yes, there's nothing like the sight of an entire Federal battalion floundering in the brush... And during the 'battle' I never had sweat dripping off my head so quickly and in such large amounts. No matter how much water you drank, it didn't make a difference.

Many of us were just too simply worn out to enjoy the moment, which I later realized, WAS the moment. And they had to endure it for real.

Mike Phineas
            Arlington, TX
            Mike Phineas
            Arlington, TX
            24th Missouri Infantry
            Independent Volunteer Battalion
            www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

What the heck, as long as we are marching....count me in.
              Last edited by Dale Beasley; 05-23-2007, 03:13 PM. Reason: I was picking my nose

Comment

Are there plans for cavalry involvment in the event next year??? Would enjoy coming to Pickets Mill mounted. Thanks
                Dan Chmelar
                Semper Fi
                -ONV
                -WIG
                -CIR!

Comment

Weather and bugs - absent anything else we populate the threads for great events with these two subjects. We can't do anything about the heat and humidity, but bugs are another matter.

Spray your uniform with a product like Repel that contains the compound Permethrin and you have no worries. It is odorless, colorless, can be sprayed on cuffs and collars and sleeves or wherever, not used on the skin. Since using it at Rich Mountain, I have not had a single bite or even a visit of any kind at any event - including summer, fall and spring events in Pennsylvania, Louisiana, West Virginia and Virginia. No tics, chiggers, mosquitos, etc. You spray it on before you go into the field and it lasts the whole event...and will not damage or discolor that new garment.

It is fun however to watch the bugs moving away toward a softer target not so protected
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

June 1st is my birthday...Now I know what I'll ask my wife for at least once!:tounge_sm

Honey, please let me sweat my arse off, also to get every imaginable biting bug/animal there is to crawl across me at night. And while were at it...might as well throw some hills as well!

I don't know about you gents....but it has all the ingredients for my best birthday bash yet! I'm in.
                    Andrew Martin
                    GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
                    150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
                    200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
                    150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

With Coley Adair and John Cleaveland helping to head this up, you can bet there will be Cavalry involved at the event. Oh and for anyone that wants to come and get a chance to enjoy the park one year early and take a guided tour, the Armory Guards are hosting a living history program on June 1-3. This will be a fairly low key event at least compared to what we are doing next year. The impression if western Confederate during the Atlanta Campaign. Herb Coats has posted infromation at http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=10392
                      Last edited by trippcor; 05-23-2007, 12:24 PM. Reason: Forgot something
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                      [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                      [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Just to be sure, you can count on at least one Minton to be there.....the other one just finished his Plebe Year at West Point, so not sure what his schedule will be.

I think I still owe a certain Sgt. Major a twelve pack for his efforts in locating us, even though we weren't lost!

I'll be there with bells on (if I don't get lost on the way)
                        Bob Minton
                        Last edited by Bob Minton; 06-26-2007, 05:18 PM. Reason: add signature
                        Bob Minton

Comment

Tripp,

Don't forget to spike the water!
                          Galen Wagner
                          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Yeah can we fill our canteens from the "dasani" or "Aquafina" rivers this time? I was one of the victims of an authentic "dysentary" weekend in 2002. It was amusing running into the woods straight from pickett duty , while slinging off every trap and uniform piece before the unholy innevitable came roarin' out! Thanks guys, but I now have a "been there done that" kind of feeling on the whole idea. I thought it might have come from me dipping my hardtack in the bacon greese, but the water you say? Hmmm, now the culprit is identified.
                            Preston Todd
                            Hard Case Boys
                            Top Rail Mess

Comment

The noise your stomach made has stuck with me ever since... I never thought I'd ever hear that again... then, I ate the local Iraqi food... I never thought I'd have a flashback about a CW event
                              Timothy L Arnold
                              Top Rail Mess of the Hard Case Boys

Hard Case Boys forum

Comment

I see the legendary flyblown beef vs unchlorinated water debate continues to this day, and 722 miles away at another event featuring a good number of the same participants only a few cringe at the thought of maggoty ham. Hey, they were very small maggots.
                                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                                X