29th Ohio corps badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29th Ohio corps badge

So far the research I've done doesn't state whether the guys in the 29th Ohio wore the White Star of the 20th corps or maintained their former corps badge. If anyone knows, let me know so we can set which corps badge to wear for New Hope Church at Picketts Mill.

Also, I can't find the address of the guy that makes the corps badges. Help.

Steve Acker

Re: 29th Ohio corps badge

Steve,
    Last year I raised company for the Battle of Resaca that protrayed the 7th Ohio which was also in the XX Corps. We cut out white stars from some fabric Kiev Thomason had since the research we had showed they were wearing cloth corps badges. If you find that the 29th Ohio was wearing XX corps badges this might be an option.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Steve

I will email you the information for the guy that did the Corps Badges for the Federals at Old World Wisconsin last year.

Jason Reinholz
      Mess #3

Comment

Steve,

The fellow Jason is referring to is BJ Zirkle. His email is giltwire@aol.com

I've ordered corps badges from him in the past as well. He usually has a very quick turn around time and great customer service.
        Andy Ackeret
        A/C Staff
        Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Hey Andy

Show off, shouldn't you be working or something? See you on Sunday.

Jason Reinholz
          Mess #3

Comment

The 29th Ohio was part of 12th corps which is the same corps badge as 20th corps so we will use the white star as our corps badge.

Steve Acker

Comment

I am glad to say that I am the proud owner of a 20th Corp. badge I found relic hunting in one of Shermans camps outside of Raleigh, N.C. It appears to have been made by a jeweler being it is made of silver and hand engraved. It most likely belonged to an officer being it's made of silver. Follow this link to see it. http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-...g.pl?read=2142 Just an example and thanks for letting me share this :D.
              Last edited by tarheelmilitia; 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM.
              Dana Meredith Jr.
              tarheelmilitia@yahoo.com

Comment

Re: 29th Ohio corps badge ,BJ Zirkle makes them

I recieved the following information on corps badges from BJ Zirkle.

"The standard "issue" badges run $1.50 each. (No discount for quantity, I cut them individually by hand).

Of course I can add "goodies" such as regimental numbers and so forth. Those are typically $4.50 each and are also plated in 18k gold, like the third option shown above.

"I offer several types that you might consider "officer quality." Those run as follows:

Wool center with beaded wire edges: $8.50 each
                Wool or velvet center with fully embroidered edges: $35.00 each
                Gilt brass framework with wool center, solid brass back & t-bar pin: $75.00 each

I'd like about a month (lead time) notice if possible. Right now I'm not terribly backlogged, but that can change quickly.

Just let me know,

BJ Zirkle
                IWP Fabrications"
                giltwire@aol.com

Remember the 29th Ohio was in second division so order a white star.

Steve Acker

Comment

Will we be ordering these individually or through our company/event?
                  Mark Krausz
                  William L. Campbell
                  Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                  Old Northwest Volunteers
                  Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

The "White Star Division" was a pretty proud bunch. Initially some of the western boys laughed at their Corps Badge when the 12th Corps came west, joking that everyone and everything so marked must have been a Brigadier General. Some great quotes on the subject.

BJ Zirckle made me a 12th/20th Corps nickel (silver was a bit steep) star badge that I was able to get engraved with unit, etc. It came with a pin back and now lies somewhere in the woods just east of Gettysburg, torn off during a Picket Post event. Been looking for it on Ebay. :cry_smile
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I concur with Doug Cooper on the joke that they were called generals because of their star. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read it.
                      GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                      High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Gary of CA View Post
                        I concur with Doug Cooper on the joke that they were called generals because of their star. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read it.
                        Here ya go:

Sgt. George W. Holmes, Co. G, 100th Illinois

“In striking contrast to our appearance were Hooker’s men, all dressed up as if for parade, in short neat looking jackets and paper collars. They had stars on their caps, on their coats, on their tents, on their flags, on their wagons. Everything they had seemed to be a brigadier general.”
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                        X