Picketts Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picketts Mill

Hello to All just wanted to find out if anyone Knew of any Books on the Picketts Mill Battle. By the way I Have Signed up for the SCAR Company SRR Group I look Forward to Enjoying this Engagement.

Private S Alexander McKnight (COLDSTEEL1865)

"Have No Mercy GIVE THEM COLD STEEL":baring_te
    " GOD LOVES A GRUNT"::)
    COLDSTEEL1865

Sascha A McKnight
    Member/CWPT
    Reenactor At Large:D

Re: Picketts Mill

Hi,

In the book Battles for Atlanta Sherman Moves East, by Ronald H. Bailey, they have about 10 pages on the Battle of Picketts Mill.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Keep in mind that the event is a recreation of elements from the Battle of New Hope Church at Picketts Mill State Park. There was a series of three engagements, New Hope Church, Picketts Mill and Dallas, that took place in this area at the end of May 1864. The event we are putting on depicts events from New Hope. Here is a link to the History section of the event website. Additionally, Robby Mitchell (researcher and Co.A 14th LA Captain) may be posting more info as time goes on.

Incidentally, one of my favorites quotes comes from Sam Watkins in his recollections of New Hope Church:

"The trees looked as if they had been cut down for new ground, being mutilated and shivered by musket and cannon balls. Horses were writhing in their death agony, and the sickening odor of battle filled the air. Well, well, those who go to battle expect to die. An halo ever surrounds the soldier's life, because he is ever willing to die for his country (pg. 138)." Company Aytch New York: Plume Publishing, 1999.

-Garrett
      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Alexander,

Here is a source book I refer to often:

"The Campaign for Atlanta" by William Scaife

Jim Butler
        SRR/SCAR
        Jim Butler

Comment

"Echoes of Battle, The Atlanta Campaign" ; 2004, by Richard A. Baumgartner has a lot of great first hand accounts. The chapter ( also the whole book) on the battle and movements of New Hope is really good in the book "Decision in the West, The Atlanta Campaign of 1864" ; 1992, by Albert Castel
          sigpic
          Grandad Wm. David Lee
          52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
          - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

There is a regimental history of the 29th Ohio that is unfortunately long out of print. The state historical society had a copy. You may find the same. Otherwise I agree with Echoes as a good source.

Steve Acker
            Fed Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Acker View Post
              There is a regimental history of the 29th Ohio that is unfortunately long out of print. The state historical society had a copy. You may find the same. Otherwise I agree with Echoes as a good source.

Steve Acker
              Fed Guy

Link to thread that has information on how to download regimental for free from Microsoft Live Books.
              Andy Ackeret
              A/C Staff
              Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Thanks to All for the Information i will be checking up on the books.

Sascha A McKnight

"Have No Mercy Give them COLD STEEL"
                COLDSTEEL1865

Sascha A McKnight
                Member/CWPT
                Reenactor At Large:D

Comment

Working...
                X