Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stones River October 10-12, 2008

Gentlemen,
    The website and registration for Stones River will be up later this week. We will be portraying the 5th Ga. during the weekend. The 5th Ga. fought on Santa Rosa Island early in the war under Generals Richard Anderson and overall commander Braxton Bragg. It was supposed to be at Shiloh, but it did not arrive until after the battle. It participated in the Siege of Corinth after Shiloh. It was then assigned to guard Knoxville and Chattanooga so it missed the Kentucky Campaign in the fall of 1862. The men had not been in a big fighr since early in the war leading up to Stones River. Prior to Stones River they were in Chattanooga when it was assigned to Breckenridge’s Division which had been reassigned to middle Tennessee after the failed attempt to retake Baton Rouge. John K. Jackson, the 5th’s original commander, was the 5th’s brigade commander at the time.
    For Stones River we will portray the 5th being sent to the area of Murfreesboro as the forces were concentrating there. While doing so, their time was spent on drill and maneuvers through camps of instruction. Drill is a huge part of our hobby and we do not spend enough time on it. This event we will spend the entire weekend on it. We all need the practice and this will be great preparation for all of us.
    In doing this, we are incorporating a drill competition in the event. The event is open to any group that can provide a 30 man company. We are starting with 3 WIG company's but it is not limited to just them. Invites will be sent out to other groups that want to participate.
    Companies will drill and be graded on their execution of school of the company, skirmish drill by the bugle, firings and each company will draw from a hat a maneuver that they will have only 15 minutes to execute. All drill will be from Hardee's Manual.
    There will be several judges to score the maneuvers. John Duffer has agreed to be Inspector General for the weekend. No one knows the books as well as he does.
    The winning company will walk away from this weekend with a prize for every man in the company. The prize will not be miniscule at all but something that will add to each mans impression and usable. You will be surprised.
    On Sunday of the event, we will have battalion drill and parade and inspection.
    Company commanders are as follows;
    Tripp Corbin
    Pat Landrum
    Paul Calloway
    GVB

Other groups are encouraged to participate that may not have been with the WIG in the past, either in full or part.

The website will be up this week to start registration.

Art Milbert
    Armory Guard
    Western Independent Grays
    Last edited by Tenthtexas; 06-23-2008, 06:44 PM. Reason: changes in company commanders
    [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Re: Stones River October 10-12, 2008

Some quotes from Larry Daniels excellent "Soldiering in the army of Tennessee"

"Competitiveness was one tool used in forming unit morale. while at Wartrace (near Tullahoma), Hardee's corps participated in a series of drill competitions. On March 23, 1863, a contest was held for the best-drilled regiment in Breckinridge's division, the prize being a highly coveted palm ornament to be attached on the regimental flag. Three regiments, one from each brigade, were in contention- the 18th Tennessee, 13th & 20th Louisiana, and the 1st Florida. Initially the Tennesseans and Floridians were matched in competition, concluding with a bayonet charge across an open field. The men of the 1st were confident but were unaware that the troops of the 18th had planned something spectacular. Explained a soldier: ""They got half way across the field yelling as loud as they could when all at once the Drum rapped and they all dropped, [as if to avoid a volley] like they were dead, even the Col. and his horse both came down. The horse lay as close to the ground as he could and the Col. right behind him. They all lay for several minutes before they got up. It beat everything I ever saw in my life and I never did hear such cheering in my life as was done when they dropped. They got the praise and and well they deserve it for they beat anything drilling I ever saw. "'

Will MacDonald

Comment

To all of those who keep quipping that us "hardkewls" on "our" side of the hobby need more battalion drill well........ This event is designed to work on battalion drill. It is at a great NPS site and the rumors I hear about the "surprises" are pretty darn good.

So no excuses folks. Carpooling is the new hotness, drill will be the order of the day, having a good time, and a chance to help an NPS site is what the event is shaping up to be.

But I hear all the good stuff through the Trippster! And btw his company will be THE company to be in if you like winning.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
        And btw his company will be THE company to be in if you like winning.
        Here we go. . .
        Regards,
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
        With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
        Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
        We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Hey Baby Face, I'm just spread'n the word. But Corbin's company is better.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

That's right Herb. I'm in that company yet despite that I predict it will do quite well since everyone else will make me look good.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Well Tripp is stuck with me so AND at least I know my left from my right. That means that at least one man in Corbin's Company of Kewl knows how to goof things up.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

We need to know left from right? Crap I gotta' study! :wink_smil
                Regards,

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

This right from left thing is news to me.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                  [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                  [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Sleep with yer choose on gents my wheels are turning.;)
                    Regards,

Comment

Gentlemen,
                      We are fast approaching Stones River in October. This is a living history event but with a strong emphasis on drill for the weekend. There will be a drill competition between the companies for the weekend. The competition rules will be outlined in the August newsletter. However, every company needs to be well versed on skirmish drill, school of the soldier and all company level maneuvers. This is a great time for us all to put to practice what we do and show how good we are doing it. Some of the things included in the weekend;
                      --Period sutler will be present. Will be using chits because no money can change hands on the park grounds.
                      --Company level rations will be issued. Winning company will have a much better meal than the other companies.
                      --The company winning the competition will be issued items from the quartermaster.
                      --We will be having the election for the WIG Battalion Commander on Sunday during the event. Nominees will be listed in the August Newsletter as well.

Registrations have been coming in but we need to hit the phones and see who will be attending and getting them to register as soon as possible. If there are any questions about the event, please contact me at;
                      Tenthtexas25@aol.com
                      Or 615-400-2225

I look forward to being in the field with each of you very soon.

Art Milbert
                      [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                      X