Westville Updates 7-11-08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westville Updates 7-11-08

Well, the early registration date for Sparks of Secession - Westville, 1861 is closing in fast. Early registration of $35 ends August 17th. Late registration will be accepted until Sept. 25th and is $45. Don't wait! Lock in your role now by sending in your registration. We can assign you a role or you can select your own to be approved.

Significant updates have been added to the website at:

These updates include:
    - Updated and cleaned up Registration/Roles Listing.
    - Nearby Sites
    - Vendors & Services page
    - Updated Site Photos page
    - Site Map (print and bring to event).

We are in need of the following roles:
    - Lawyers
    - Court Clerk
    - Tax Collector
    - Teamster
    - Street cleaner
    - Potter (skilled)
    - Musicians (fife & drum, bugle and civilian period musicians)
    - Full time 21st GA Recruits
    - Farmers, miners, plantation overseers and others to portray travellers
    in town doing business.
    - African-Americans who are willing to portray slaves
    - set up, sign-in and parking volunteers
    - Docent/Interpretor volunteers
    - Recruitment clerk

Don't miss this opportunity to bring a period 1860s town to life!

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    SRR
    SCAR
    Jim Butler

Re: Westville Updates 7-11-08

One additional clarification:

Childrens Registration fees are $20 for early and $25 for late.
    This also includes their meals and they too will be issued "Notes" to spend at the event (less than the adults).

Thanks,
    Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Comment

Men's Dress Guidelines

Please note that the Men's Dress Guidelines for Sparks of Secession have been updated on the webpage. Additional research had required us to update these guidelines. Thanks to Joe Blunt for writing them for us. Please review these prior to the event.
      We have also added the Muster list for the original 21st GA, Company I.

Updates are at www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/WestvilleIndex

Also note that early registration ends August 30th!

Thanks,
      Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

I was just looking at the town map and it's a good thing that the woodworkers shop id just across the street from the doctor's office! Chisels are sharp! (Knock on wood):D
        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
        WIG/GVB
        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

The EVEN better news is that the Sheriff's office is in a centralized location so I can respond to any shenanigans in quick and efficient manner. Can't let my constituents down now can I?
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Still more updates 8-2-08

More Updates have been added to the Sparks of Secession webpage.

These updates include:
            - Registration list updated and many first person names have been assigned.
            (Herb you are Daniel McKennen and your deputy is George McKidd...
            hmmm Irishmen). http://www.geocities.com/scar_civilw...ationList.html
            - Diary account of Gilbert Richardson by Robbie Mitchell
            and Census Data for Lumpkin, GA http://www.geocities.com/scar_civilw...tewartCty.html
            - Updated Men's Dress guidelines by Joe Blunt.

- 21st GA, Company I Rolls per Lillian Henderson's Confederate Roster.
            - Event Description has been refined. http://www.geocities.com/scar_civilw...uidelones.html

Remember that your registration fee covers 5 meals (including a period BBQ by Charles Heath) and $10+ dollars is refunded in "Notes" to spend at the event (additional "Notes" to spend can also be purchased at sign-in). Early registration ends on Aug 30th, so do not wait until the fee goes up. Also, roles are not locked in till you register.

Regards,
            Jim Butler
            SCAR www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar
            SRR www.geocities.com/saltriverrifles
            Jim Butler

Comment

Jim,

You Anne, Robby, and Joe have done a bang up job on setting the event up with some great information. This is such a great oppurtunity for all of us to bring their "A" game and see what develops.

I'll be there with shackles for all the nere' do-wells.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Herb,

Are you going to enforce any laws concerning firearms?

As the town's Banker, I feel it would be best for me to carry a Derringer just in case. But I am an upstanding Gentlemen and do not desire to be afoul of the local Sheriff.

Damn, I can't wait for this event!
                Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Herb needs a billy club.:D
                  Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                  WIG/GVB
                  In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

If everyone follows the rule of law, then all will be well.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Herb,
                      If everyone followed the rules then you'd serve no purpose (and be quite bored). If my small mess of miscreants is allowed to attend the event to sell fish as traveling fishmongerers then we may frequent the tavern and cause a bit of trouble for you and your deputies... we need to give the deputies in Eufaula a break so we're expanding our horizons to the other side of the Chattahoochee.
                      Cheers,
                      [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Kirby..... Bring the miscreants. Judge Tripp needs more practice.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

I would like to encourage all of you to tell your friends about the event and encourage them to apply. "Invitation" doesn't mean you have to sit at home and wait for me to contact you. I've spent a great deal of time in the 18th century for the last 2 years, and little in the 19th century so I am sure there are a lot of quality impressions out there that I am not aware of. Please encourage those you know with good kits and impressions to contact me to discuss attending. If they are worried they don't have necessary skills I can very easily have them assist with the aid society which will give them people without pulling people away who are registered to be elsewhere. I also need people to act as docents or interpretors to lead tours on Saturday. We will have information ready for those doing that so that they are prepared and won't feel overwhelmed with explaining the vignettes to the tour. That will be done in 3rd person and will be ideal for anyone who is a little concerned about the first person elsewhere. There is something for everyone who meets at least minimum guidelines on kit and is willing to come, play nice, and have a whale of a lot of fun. There will be two different tours - each lasting 2 hours. If anyone or everyone wants to spend the time there (4 hours for both) to take both tours the interpretors should please encourage them to do that. If not, they can join whatever tour is in progress at the time of day they get there.

Anyone with children who may be concerned about the cost of registration please note that we have discounted registration to $20. for children and they receive the same meals as full registrant fee adults. We hoped this would encourage family participation. By family I mean a parent and children or conventional 2 parent household - or whatever your current situation is. A few of the ladies have been concerned that they do not have re-enactor husbands, and therefore, have no male head of household in the 19th century. I have hopefully set their minds at ease by offering countless reasons why a male would have been away from home - gone to sell a crop, purchase farm equipment, gone on a missionary trip, gone to visit a sick relative, etc. etc. The public is not going to stay at any one location long enough to find out our life stories anyway.

We need specifically someone to take on the role of a defense attorney and a law clerk. If you know anyone who would be interested in either of these roles please ask them to contact Jim or me. There is space for oodles of farmers and farm laborers as the census shows primarily farming families.

Keep in mind the early cut-off on registration and encourage those who may be interested, or who may have something to contribute and are not aware of the event to get in touch with us before that date. Since we are providing meals we must have a head count in time to figure the amount of food we need to purchase. Anyone who misses early registration will pay extra and there will be no walk-ons for the same reason.

I know gas prices are high and the economy is suffering, but that doesn't mean we can't do events, it just means choosing wisely and doing the ones that have the most to offer. I do think this one offers a great deal. There is a page on the event web site for those who are seeking to carpool to the event. Some are flying in or busing in and others have volunteered to pick them up in Columbus (GA) and get them to the event. If you need a ride, or are willing to offer a ride, please visit the web site and make that known.

If you have a table and chair and a way to haul it we have people who will be portraying various businesses in the village that are in need of these. If you have them and are willing to share please make that known. Each attendee will provide their own plate, cup, utensils, etc. and be responsible for taking them with you to meals or to the tavern for food or drink. No plastic or paper, so come prepared.

I'm available for questions at thistledewbooks @ comcast.net (type together).

Vickie Rumble,

Comment

Vickie,

Would you be able to give us an idea of expected tasks you want the different types of roles to do? For example, the teacher is to teach on Friday from Xam - Ypm; farmers farm; and so on. With my role being the McDonalds' visiting cousing from DC bringing the latest political information and frock styles, I am assuming I would be a little "better off". I am planning on helping Mrs. McDonald write invitations to the Aid Society, maybe play croquet, and I migh have a silk, quilted petticoat that I could be quilting on or a nice hood I could work on for the winter.

Any guidance would be nice. We would like to know how to plan and research the tasks that we will be performing.

Thanks!
                            Angela

Comment

Angela,

A detailed Vignette Guideline and Tour schdeule documents are emailed out to all registered participants. Once you register you will get more detailed info. The website has a lot of good info as well.

Thanks,
                              Jim Butler
                              Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                              X