Westville Textile Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westville Textile Production

Westville will have a number of aspects featuring early war textile production.

Common Gossip (okay, Hal Merritt) tells me that the great mule powered cotton screw will be turning that weekend, and that the crop is high and ready to gin. I know of one participant who has had me on the search for unginned cotton in vast quanities for nearly a year now. He might want to bring his own sack and allow plenty of time on the trip down.

Down at some house or another, I'll be dyeing indigo out in the yard. Its a rather showy process as period dyes go, as the fiber changes color AFTER it is pulled out of the dye bath--going from white to yellow to green to blue in a matter of seconds. One of South Carolina's early cash crops, Indigo was King long before cotton was economically viable as a cash crop.

Related to that demostration, I'll have skeins of indigo dyed wool yarn for sale within the context of the local economy. Each kit will contain enough indigo dyed yarn for a pair of socks, plus enough natural wool for heels and toes. The same kit can also be used to produce a knit sleeping hat.

These kits will be available only on site, with special pricing for this event at $20 in modern money--I believe that will translate out to $2 in the period exchange. You can see your own yarn dyed, help with it if you like, and carry it home to the knitter of your choice. Likely the yarn will still be a bit dampish unless the weather turns off hot.

Reserve your kit by sending me a private message.....
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: Westville Textile Production

Last call on indigo dyed sock kits to be dyed and delivered at Westville.

It takes me a few days to prep the wool.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
    X