Unique Aspects for Sparks of Secession-Westville, GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unique Aspects for Sparks of Secession-Westville, GA

Jim, I saw the pictures you took. Thanks! A lot of us are jazzed up for the event. I'm working on getting some "lawyers" to attend as well.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Originally posted by redleggeddevil View Post
      Jim,

Any idea where I might be able to set up the tavern? All I need is four walls and a little space, but cooking facilities would be a huge plus. If not, I can still offer a limited menu of cold delicacies to entice customers and arouse their thirsts...
      Andrew,

We just did the site walk-thru and we are working on wear to assign each person, vignette, impression and sleeping areas. It is likely that a few areas will serve double duty (one thing during the day and another at night).
      We will contact you directly as soon as we have all things assigned.

Thanks,
      Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

If anyone has any questions for me, or would like more information that I might be able to help with you can contact me at thistledewbooks@comcast.net I'm no expert seamstress and don't sew for anyone really but myself, but if any of the ladies have questions about what is expected, I'm capable of offering suggestions and sources and putting you in touch with someone who can do your sewing for you if you need it.

There are spaces still available, and as has been said, if you have an idea the time to ask about it is now - before someone gets registered before you. Some questions I've been asked on another forum that might be of help here are:

Are participants limited to the impressions asked for on the web site? Answer - no. If you have an idea for a unique but documentable impression offer it. I've had some people contact me and offer really good ideas that I was happy to approve. Those listed on the web site are meant to get you started thinking, not to limit anyone's creativity.

Some of the impressions are not limited to a single participant - for example, we can use more than one farmer. There are new gardens tilled up in the village which presents more opportunity than the one garden did in the past.

When we can get the information ready to post we'll be posting on the web site a list of what various people will have to offer for sale during the event. If you see something you want you'll have an idea how much cash you may want to bring along. If you need something you may be able to order now and pick up at the event saving postage.

I'm happy to help if I can, but I don't read forums regularly so you may be better to contact me by email. It took me 3 tries to remember my user name to log in just now. :-)

Vickie Rumble

Comment

While bustling around town, stop by the wood workers' shop and witness the construction of a period child size coffin and possibly a couple of other neat things. I know, twisted- but pretty cool, nonetheless.:wink_smil
          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
          WIG/GVB
          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Chris, get ready to construct a man sized coffin. I might have to put Corbin down over the weekend if he gets uppity. After all the good folks of Stewart County didn't elect Sheriff just to sit around! :D
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

You better watch it Mr. Coats. I would hate to have to find you in contempt of court and throw our own sheriff in the lock-up.
              [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
              [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
              [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I am on the list but as more and more becomes available on the event it seems as though it is probably not the best place for someone not at the top of the hobby. It looks to be a pretty serious undertaking.

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                  I am on the list but as more and more becomes available on the event it seems as though it is probably not the best place for someone not at the top of the hobby. It looks to be a pretty serious undertaking.
                  Christopher,

Don't know if I have ever seen a ranking of people to know who is at the "top" of the hobby. This would be far too subjective. This event does have some minimum standards and we ask that everyone have a working role appropriate for a working class GA town. However, it is open to anyone willing to try and honor those guidelines. We have a Reenactor Refuge area for those that would like to be a bit more comfortable in the evening and provide an area to take a rest. This area will still have all period tents (no modern camping there) and no modern anarchronisms to be in sight. This area is off limits to the general public and just for reenactors to have an alternative place to sleep, eat, rest, etc.
                  This is a unique opportunity for military and civilian. But, if folks are expecting ladies in prom dresses to be waltzing down the street to the funnel cake and root beer stand, this will not be the place for that. If people want to come and portray a working class town in GA in 1861, then this IS the place for you! Other than that I don't think pigeon-holing folks is useful.

See ya there,
                  Jim Butler
                  Jim Butler

Comment

FWIW - Mr. Butler I have witnessed and think your SCAR organization is first rate and by most accounts represents the top of the hobby. I am man that absolutely knows his place in the order of things, nothing more.

I just sent my registration.

Laborer.

I promise y'all to stay well out the way, mind my own funeral, keep my suck shut and just soak it up. Sorta like a spectator in really accurate kit. You won't even know I am there !

Chris Rideout

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                      I promise y'all to stay well out the way, mind my own funeral, keep my suck shut and just soak it up. Sorta like a spectator in really accurate kit. You won't even know I am there !

Chris Rideout
                      Chris,

You are more than welcome to come and lurk at the tavern. Our friendly staff of fellow Floridians will make a place for you, and we need our quota of shirkers, reprobates, drunkards, layabouts and tavern-haunters.
                      Andrew Batten

Comment

Mr. Batten,

Obliged Sir.

I will make sure I shake your hand.

Be forewarned, I am not by any stretch a Tier 1 contender. EBUFU is self-admittedly out of this ole' boys lane. I am genuinely concerned and respect others experience in this regard.

Chris Rideout

Comment

I suggest reading the historic information on the Westville site. The judge turned out to be a big war hero.

The 1860 census for Stewart County has been published. Has anyone got a copy?
                          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Just wondering if there are any more positions open for nineteen year old zealous men who would like to join the Southern army? This really sounds like a great event!

Thanks,

Ben Fowler

5th Ga/101st Ind.
                            GVB
                            Ben Fowler

In honor of Capt. William Joshua Neary, Quartermaster, 44th Ga. Inf.; Co. K

Not a member of The Leave Early Rifles

Comment

How many children will be there?
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
                              Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

There are certainly opportunities for zealous recruits heeding the call to serve the Confederacy. We are allowing some recruits to serve as military all weekend or you can start as a civilian role and change to military during the weekend. We will be portraying the 21st GA infantry, Co I, Stewart Infantry (Robbie is off for more research at the UGA Archives and I am off to Morrow to the State Archives for more research).

In regards to children, we have a few registered so far and w ehope to have more as we will actually have a schoolhouse and teacher for them to take part in a period vignette there. And they also should enjoy the period BBQ and Recruitment Rally on Sat evening as well.

Regards,
                                Jim Butler
                                Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                                X