• Show
Clear All

• 'Winter 1864", February 2008

Date(s): Second Half of February 2008
    Event Name: "Winter 1864"
    Location: Newfane Historical Society site, Niagara County, New York
    Host (Site Owner): Newfane Historical Society
    Sponsor: 151st New York Memorial Regiment of the Potomac Legion
    Discussion Format: Event website/Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/w64/
    Contact, Federal: Scott Schotz of the 151st at hurrah_without_the_h@yahoo.com, (716) 795-9577. Alternate Contact: Kevin O'Beirne, kobeirne@adelphia.net.
    Contact, Confederate: Contact the Federal POC. Participation extremely limited.
    Civilian: Limited numbers of civilian portrayals available. Contact the Federal POC.
    Website: Event website/Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/w64/
    Comments: See below.
    Event Point of Contact: See Federal POC, above.
    Event Type: Semi-immersion winter quarters event.
    Impression(s): 151st New York Cos. H and K, in winter quarters at John Bott's Farm near Brandy Station, Virginia in the winter of 1864.
    Preservation: None.
    Registration: Opens 10/31/2007, approximately. Probable registration fee: $20, will include cooked meals from Thursday breakfast through Sunday breakfast.

This semi-immersion winter quarters weekend provides truly unique living history experience. W64 2008 will be a FOUR-DAY event, most likely from Wednesday evening through Sunday morning. This event provides a slice-of-winter-quarters life for approximately sixty-five participants all quartered in reproduction winter hutments, including auxiliary buildings such as a guard house, cookhouse, commissioned officer quarters, and other structures. Participants are organized into two infantry companies, plus limited civilian participation portraying laundresses and possibly other impressions.

Report on the 2006 event, which is a longer version of the report published in Civil War Historian's recent issue, is attached as a text document in MS Word.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 01-19-2007, 04:36 PM. Reason: Fixed some formatting

Re: 'Winter 1864", February 2008

Sounds like a good one to fly up for!
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

I can't wait. I hope there's snow this time.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
      Past President Potomac Legion
      Long time member Columbia Rifles
      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

I'll put together a contingent from my area. I've heard too much good stuff to miss another one of these.
        Matt Woodburn
        Retired Big Bug
        WIG/GHTI
        Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
        "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Feb. '08 just might be the first time Ill be able to make the trip to this event that I've wanted to go to for a long time. Woodburn, put me on your list.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

I'm game as well!
            Andrew Martin
            GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
            150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
            200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
            150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

I'd be remiss if I didn't say that all these early expressions of support are impressive, and darned comforting to see. Looking forward to seeing a number of new faces at this event. Start saving up those brownie points/kitchen passes now... er... at least start after Banks's Grand Retreat. :D

For folks considering really long-distance travel, the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport is about 25 miles from the site, and the Niagara Falls International Airport is probably 20 miles from the site; the Niagara Falls airport has very limited passenger service, whereas the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport (code: BUF) is "the" big airport in the region with regular passenger service. The Rochester International Airport is probably about 60 miles from the site, so flights into BUF are probably the best bet for folks considering flying to this one.

And please do us all a favor... don't wish too hard for snow for this event. Remember, it's western New York and if you all wish for it too hard, you'll undoubtably get to experience a blizzard which, come to think of it, isn't too awfully authentic for this portrayal. :) I'm still trying to warm up from W64 2006, which was by far the coldest weekend in this region of the winter of 2005-2006. What can I say, we were lucky....
              Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM. Reason: Correcting typos!

Comment

After a meeting this past weekend, event information is updated: dates are now set (plan that vacation time early!) and registration fee is set.

AS CURENTLY PLANNED, THIS IS THE LAST "W64" EVENT. COME TO THIS ONE OR MISS OUT FOR GOOD.

Date(s): February 20-24, 2008 (Wednesday evening to Sunday midday)
                Event Name: "Winter 1864"
                Location: Newfane Historical Society site, Niagara County, New York
                Host (Site Owner): Newfane Historical Society
                Sponsor: 151st New York Memorial Regiment of the Potomac Legion
                Discussion Format: Event website/Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/w64/
                Contact, Federal: Scott Schotz of the 151st at hurrah_without_the_h@yahoo.com, (716) 795-9577. Alternate Contact: Kevin O'Beirne, kobeirne@adelphia.net.
                Contact, Confederate: Contact the Federal POC. Participation extremely limited.
                Civilian: Limited numbers of civilian portrayals available. Contact the Federal POC.
                Website: Event website/Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/w64/
                Comments: See below.
                Event Point of Contact: See Federal POC, above.
                Event Type: Semi-immersion winter quarters event.
                Impression(s): 151st New York Cos. H and K, in winter quarters at John Bott's Farm near Brandy Station, Virginia in the winter of 1864.
                Preservation: None.
                Registration: Opens 10/31/2007, approximately. Registration fee: $25 dollars plus a $10 security deposit which be refunded to each registrant when he arrives onsite; total fee: $35, which includes cooked meals from Thursday breakfast through Sunday breakfast.

This semi-immersion winter quarters weekend provides truly unique living history experience. W64 2008 will be a FOUR-DAY event, most likely from Wednesday evening through Sunday morning. This event provides a slice-of-winter-quarters life for approximately sixty-five participants all quartered in reproduction winter hutments, including auxiliary buildings such as a guard house, cookhouse, commissioned officer quarters, and other structures. Participants are organized into two infantry companies, plus limited civilian participation portraying laundresses and possibly other impressions.
                Last edited by Matt Woodburn; 04-30-2007, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I'll pitch in!
                  Brian Hicks
                  Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I'm game. This next winter will be good for something after all.
                    Frank Perkin

Comment

I have to wonder what the winter huts look like with five or six feet of snow on them. Maybe the snow will help deter the ever increasing vandalism. One can only hope.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The first meeting of the full committee for W64 2008 was held on February 11, 2007. All systems are a go and the plans for "scenario" and logistical support are actively being drafted.

Folks planning to attend W64 2008 and who wish to "stage a scenario" are asked to please contact the event committee early to make sure your ideas coordinate with the goals of the event. We have already been contacted by a few folks who have offered up some great, historically accurate ideas that we are either looking at favorably or have already approved. As a POC for this, you can shoot me an e-mail at the e-mail link in my signature line and I'll make sure it is quickly forwarded to the rest of the committee.

We will once again be assigning first-person names to all participants, from the muster rolls of the original 151st New York State Volunteers. These assignments will be designated and distributed to registrants at least a month in advance of the event, so that participants can use first-person names for mail call and other purposes.

Draft event standards are completed and being reviewed by the event committee. Registration is scheduled to open in late October 2007. Because this is a four-day event (Wednesdday evening to Sunday morning) registration preference will be given to those who can attend for the entire event.

The first workday at the event site is March 4, 2007. Unfortunately, some local vandals have again done some damage at the site (this is about the third time since W64 2006) and the first order of business of the workday is to repair busted-in doors on the huts and similar damage.

Civilian roles at this event are limited and are by invitation only. All civilian impressionists required for this event have already been invited.

Two commisioned officer spots are not currently filled, but we have a while before it's totally necessary to name the names. :) There will be one or two more commissioned officer positions for W64 2008 than in past W64 events because the multiple-day nature of this W64 requires more folks to handle the necessary duties, including Officer of the Day and Officer of the Guard. Rest assured, despite what it says in the next paragraph, commissioned officers will work hard at this event.

Likewise, the all-important (at this event) positions for the company sergeants (two per company, two companies) are not yet designated, although we have a darn good candidate for one of the Orderly Sgt spots if we don't draft the fellow to a staff non-comm job first. :) Participants of past W64 events know that, at htis one, having first-rate sergeants is important for achiving the goals of the event; due to the winter quarters portrayal, the commissioned officers tend to let the sergeants and corporals truly run the company and most aspects of the details. Corporals will need to know their stuff and some many be called upon to serve some functions of sergeants.

Privates at this event require a fair degree of knowledge, and there'll be plenty of fatigue details to go around--if for no other reason, than to cut sufficient wood to keep the huts stoves well fed.

Some of the roles already designated for the event are:

Staff:
                        Capt. Kevin O'Beirne - "battalion commander" when needed and Officer of the Day as required.
                        Assistant Surgeon Noah Briggs
                        1st Lt. Dennis Schank - adjutant
                        Sgt Major Scott Schotz
                        Commissary Sgt Jim "Coldfoot" Stauder
                        Quartermaster Sgt TBA

Co. H
                        Captain Pete Smith
                        2nd Lt. Mike Ryan
                        Orderly Sgt TBA
                        Sergeant TBA

Co. K
                        1st Lt. TBA
                        2nd Lt. TBA
                        Orderly Sgt TBA
                        Sergeant TBA

All corporal positions are TBA. Clerks will include Mike Schaffner and Scott Biggar.

No, there is not five or six feet of snow at the site right now--more like a foot or so. Further, we guarantee good weather for W64 2008. :D

Comment

This will be a first for me, I'm in.

Comment

Grounds are only a few miles away from my house, and seeing as this is the last hurrah, Im in. A good time shall be had by all.
                            Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Suppelsa View Post
                              This will be a first for me, I'm in.
                              Chris,

While you're at it, try to drag the butts of Rothenberg, "Ragsdale", and others along. I've love to see Rothenberg in a hut for a weekend. :)

For what it's worth, the first time I ever "campaigned it" and camped without a tent--what seemed like a brave and Incredibly Risky Move at the time--was in the ranks of the 4th Texas Co. E at Jackson 1996. Yep, we slept without tents just 50 yards from the mini-golf course.

Comment

Working...
                              X