Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date When W64 Registration Opens

W64 EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT

Event coordinator Scott Schotz has asked that this information be posted immediately:

Registration for “Winter 1864” 2008 will officially open on Monday, September 24, 2007. On that date, we’ll post the registration form on the event listserver’s “Yahoo Group” website’s “Files” section. Parties interested in the event will need to download the form, print it, fill it out, and send it, together with a check for $25, via US Mail to the event registrar (registrar’s name, address, and to whom the check should be payable are all on the registration form). The registration form will NOT be posted prior to September 24.

When the window opens, it’s suggested that folks interested in attending this event not procrastinate. The number of available slots is very limited and, if the indications are correct, they’re going to be taken very quickly.

Please remember that the W64 2008 event standards, rules, and regulations are already posted in the W64 Yahoo Group “Files” section and in the event’s folder on the Authentic Campaigner Forum (www-authentic-campaigner.com)

We’re looking forward to seeing you at “Winter 1864” 2008!

Re: Date When W64 Registration Opens

Sir-

In this event's thread, you have previously mentioned that there might be room for female civilian impressions. Could you elaborate on this?

I'd love to attend the event and I'd love to get my wife involved as well. Would it be a good event for her as she hasn't yet done an immersion/EFUBU event?

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thanks for the interest of you and your wife, but I regret to say that the limited number of roles for civilians at this event were allocated (assigned to certain individuals) as far back as April 2007. Unless someone drops out, there's no room for additional civilian portrayals at this one.

To state what's probably obvious, the only roles for women at this event are limited to company laundresses. And, to be honest, it's a rough portrayal for the women doing it--actualy washing dirty laundry, and in what will probably be (ahem) "adverse" weather conditions. The laundresses' hut at the event site is solidly built, but still "authentically" crude. Let's hope that the men in the ranks aren't the same toward the laundresses. :)

Comment

Kevin-

Yeah, I recently fully read your AAR from the 2006 event and noticed the temperatures... She WOULDN'T like that at all. She gets cold sitting on the couch... jeez! ;)

But for all intents and purposes, consider me unofficially "signed-up" even ahead of the 24 SEP 07 date... I'll make a holiday of it and try my darndest to beg'n borrow to get my kit tighter for it.

I've been from the deserts of Iraq to the frozen training grounds of Bavaria with the US Army and "we are an all-weather Army". :p LOL

Exciting! Sounds great- I cannot wait... -Johnny Lloyd
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

"Let's hope that the men in the ranks aren't the same toward the laundresses."

Would you expect anything less? The ladies will have to be thick skinned if that Sutler feller is around again. Course man he was, very course. ;)
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Grumpy,

I suspect the individual who portrayed dear sweet Erasmus last time around may be thumping a right thick book this time around. Can't say for sure, but the odds, terrible as they may be, tend to sway in that general direction.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Marked on my calendar.

Riley Ewen
              I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
              Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
              Hard Head Mess
              Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

We spend a great deal of time with heat/hydration, and heat related casualty prevention, so shifting to cold weather experiences can be a real change of pace. Some of you are tired of reading this, but for those who envision warm huts, balmy breezes, and palm trees on the sunny shores of Lake Ontario in midwinter (it can happen), take some time to inventory your cold weather gear and decide what to add, repair, or improve.

1. Buy, borrow, or steal a great coat. If you still have a skinner row great coat, consider upgrading that item of equipment before folks start an Oklahoma (sorry, Keith) land rush to buy them specifically for this event. I don't do product endorsements, as a rule, but my federal issue great coat came from Chris Daley, and it has kept me warm in some cold event conditions, and when it gets below zero F around here I wear it to haul hay and feed to the animals. It works well down to -8 degree F with a 35 mph breeze.

2. You'll want mittens, even if your mittens are nothing but a pair of worn out socks over your soon to be blue hands. If your mittens are nice soft cotton, upgrade to wool. Cotton gets wet and gets frozen. The hobby has a lot of knitters, and this is a good time to get in touch with the lanolin side of life. It's the Army. Want cold weather gear? Order it in the summer.

3. Many living historians prance around gay and happy still in their wonderful, colorful, bountiful, scarves draped around their necks and shoulders as if some form of holiday decoration. When The Hawk is blowing down your collar faster than a speeding locomotive, you'll realize it is more than just a dandy decoration. Don't have "fundages" for a scarf? Seems a blanket selling feller by the name of Woodburn somewhere around here used to have blanket scarves in stock.

4. Never had a sleeping cap? Oh, sure, some of you still have hair on your head, but for the aging, infirm, decrepit, and -- wait, there's a self portrait too close to home - a sleeping cap will come in handy when that little wood stove runs out of little wood sometime in the dark and cold morning after you are soaked from sweat from it's previous incarnation as a bright cherry red orb. Get something for your head, and a sleeping cap fits under a forage cap as a liner to keep those China cup fragile ears from shattering.

5. Drawers. Keep your twig-n-berries warm. You may also wish to have some grease for the gettin', as the winter cold/dry weather can cause as much chafing as the salty sweat (O'Bee has a word for this product) can in the summer. You laugh now, but a case of hamburger hiney on day 2 of a 4 day event is not a pretty sight.

6. Never had a bottom shirt? This is a good reason to have a period undershirt of some kind. A number of vendors used to sell these, and I have one that is about 20 years old, and smells that way, too. A canton flannel undershirt or one of those nice knit bottom shirts is golden. If nothing else, feel free to wear a cotton shirt under your federal issue shirt. You'd best have a federal issue shirt. Not for styling, but for keeping your happy little self warm. Another rare product endorsement can be found in the non-AC vendors section of this forum for Mr. Quednau's federal issue shirts.

7. Before I leave the hobby, I'm going to eventually, finally, okay, definitely maybe modify my greatcoat with a pair of pockets for the dang mittens. I'll probably wait until some enterprising young fellow offers a kit for this purpose, but pockets are a great thing to have.....

8. Socks! Get a second pair of wool socks. Leave the cotton feet freezers at home.

9. See any Bully Buy potential up there? I do, and at least one of them is being offered at the moment, if my foggy memory serves me.

10. It's a winter camp. You have luxuries from home and elsewhere. Get some extra bedclothes, such as a blanket, quilt, carpet, bed ticking, etc. Those bunks are not the nice comfy hotel beds you business travelers are accustomed to using. The huts are nice. Make them your home.

11. Having spent time in some right cold places by virtue of Uncle Sam's travel club, I can say this isn't going to be a cold weather survival course, but you can prepare youself to have a more comfortable time. With the event less than six months away, this is about the time to get items on order, so they can be on-hand.

12. I am not cooking at this event. (The crowd roars with approval!) The bad news is after you eat Chef Coldfoot's cooking, such that it is, you'll dang sure appreciate anything I've ever set out on the serving line. Yes, even the infamous Fort Donelson mule feed, and Coldfoot has an even more colorful name for that special substance, but forum decorum and the swear filter prevents me from mentioning it here. Just close your eyes and eat it.

Thank you, and good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Newfane NY is a place where your ink, my iodine and the squad's thunderpot contents are all frozen with equal meterological zeal by a non-partisan wind. Mr. Heath deploys his usual literary stilettos and Mid-East dry humor. However, speaking as a W64 survivior I can tell you - from personal ice-cold-blue-hand experience - all which he has writ is true. You gotta be there to believe it.

Comment

"Say, boys, these biscuits are so fluffy and light they could serve double duty as solid shot!" - Anon. patron of the cookhouse.
                    Nothing quite like seeing a man try to extinguish a fire with a pail of frozen night soil.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Expounding upon Charles' points #2 and #7. Tightly braid three strands of wool yarn into an 8-9 foot length. Tie the ends through the cuffs of your mittens. Drape the yarn string behind your neck and put your mittens on. Then put your overcoat on with the yarn string running down the sleeves of your coat. This may resemble something you have seen small children do. Now if you have to take off your mittens outside in the cold and don't have pockets in which to stow them, they will hang neatly from your coat sleeve and not fall into the snow, water, mud, fire, etc. My grandmother told me that her grandmother knitted mittens this way for soldiers during the Civil War.
                      Matt Woodburn
                      Retired Big Bug
                      WIG/GHTI
                      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Matt,

Garr Gast does this, and within minutes folks are copying this mitten attachment method. Monkey see. Monkey do.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

For the Yarn Challenged, you can always stuff the mittens in the cuff of your greatcoat, like God intended. Also, the cape on a greatcoat is NOT a fashion statement. It is a hood. Experiment. Figure it out. It will save you. Trust me.

Rob Willis
                          I like pockets, though.:D

Comment

It's not that cold at Newfane in February.... :D

Comment

Well, Kevin, it may just be folks from New York and Wisconsin tend to think Mississippi gets a bit warm in the summer, and folks from lower Alabama and Louisiana may think any place where snow gathers itself any higher than shoe mouth deep is a veritable winter wonderland. That being said, I'm tickled to death the 2008 season begins in just 21 days.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X