X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: W64 Registration is Open

Registration Status Report as of 11/09:

There's about four spaces left.

On 11/10 I spent a good deal of the afternoon preparing the preliminary assignments of registrants to the companies and to huts. That's not an easy task to:

* Keep messmates together.
    * Keep probable road trip partners together.
    * Keep all occupants of a hut in the same company.
    * Keep the companies balanced, given the above constraints.

I left two of the larger huts--the Pine Cottage and "Cooler Hut"--temporarily unassigned with their 20 bunks and 16 current registrants, pending receipt of the final registrations.

After things are filled up, some of the next steps with registrants will be:
    1. Helping to coordinate loaner gear exchanges.
    2. Attempting to firm up flight info for those who are traveling to W64 by air (which is quite a number of you).
    3. Selecting non-commissioned officer impressions. So far only the commissioned officers and the two Orderly Sergeants have been selected. We need two additional sergeants and four corporals for each of the two companies. If you wish to voluneer, drop me a note and I'll put your name on a list of interested parties. Note that non-comms at this event really work, and hard. Pulling Corporal or Sergeant of the Guard duty when it's 15 degrees outdoors isn't necessarily easy or comfortable, and every non-comm (except staff non-comms and the Orderly Sergeants) will be serving in one of those roles during the weekend. Non-comms need to know their stuff when it comes to guard duty, and be able to help look out for the welfare of the men relative to cold.
    4. After non-comms are selected, we'll assign each registrant the name of a soldier from the historical 151st New York Co H or K, as applicable, and provide each registrant with basic info (that we have available) on each man being portrayed. If you hold rank at this event, you're portraying the very man who wore those straps or stripes. All the privates will have a "first-person name" as well, but for those we typically attempt to assign the names so that the first-person name is as close as we can get to your actual last name; most of the time, this is only that your "first-person surname" off the regiment's roster starts with the same first letter as your actual surname, but once in a while we get lucky with a name that either is very similar to the actual one or in a few cases, identical.
    5. Starting to better-communicate to registrants expectations and "what you need to know" to participate in this event.

Work at the site is proceeding apace by the busy event committee and a few other local volunteers. Things are looking good, and hopefuly the site prep will be largely completed to the extent possible by early December. Of course, there's a good deal of pre-event work at the site in the final couple days prior to the event itself.

This final W64 appears to be appealing to folks regardless of geography. Registrations for this admittedly small (in numbers) event includes folks from Oregon, Los Angeles, Arizona, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota, in addition to the folks from the areas that have typically supported W64 (New York State, Ontario, Pennsylvania, New England, New Jersey, Maryland, and Virginia).
    Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

This final W64 appears to be appealing to folks regardless of geography. Registrations for this admittedly small (in numbers) event includes folks from Oregon, Los Angeles, Arizona, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota, in addition to the folks from the areas that have typically supported W64 (New York State, Ontario, Pennsylvania, New England, New Jersey, Maryland, and Virginia).
      I believe you can add Ohio to this list now. ;)
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
        I believe you can add Ohio to this list now. ;)
        Eric,

You must have realized that you'll now have time for this event after last weekend...and not still celebrating Ohio States National Championship into Feb!:tounge_sm

Sorry, I'm an ND fan...and it's been a ruff year so this is the only fun I get to have, when other people's ranked teams lose!:confused_

Looking forward to seeing some Buckeyes there!
        Andrew Martin
        GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
        150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
        200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
        150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

ET:

That is great!
          Ley Watson
          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
            I believe you can add Ohio to this list now.
            Oh no! Buckeyes! :)

Comment

Registered so far for W64 2008 (for those who want to know, and those who keep "who is us?" lists):

Backus, William
              Bemis, Todd
              Berezuk, Peter
              Berndt, David
              Biggar, Scott
              Bishop, Jeremiah
              Briggs, Noah
              Calloway, Paul
              Caridi, Joseph
              Coats, Herb
              Connelly, Harry
              Craddock, Patrick
              Dicks, Russell
              Dudkowski, Michael
              Eggleston, David
              Ewen, Riley
              Fable, John
              Farley, Darren
              Firth, Robert
              Gast, Garr
              Gingras, Thomas
              Groves, Troy
              Gulley, Scott
              Hamby, Jason
              Heath, Charles
              Henion, Jeff
              Hicks, Brian
              Johnson, Joseph
              Jurek, Barry
              Lloyd, John
              Luscombe, Brian
              Martin, Andrew
              McCarthey, Pete
              McIntyre, Ryan
              Meaney, James
              Milbert, Art
              Murray, Robert
              O'Beirne, Kevin
              O'Connor, Michael
              Parsons, Janele
              Parsons, Shawn
              Parsons, Zachary
              Peterson, Michael
              Piering, Chris
              Renault, Greg
              Rodman, William
              Roth, Renee
              Roth, Ronald
              Runyon, Justin
              Ryan, Michael
              Schaeffer, Craig
              Schaffner, Michael
              Schotz, Scott
              Slaughter, Robert
              Smith, Pete
              Somerville, Mark
              Stauder, Jim "Coldfoot"
              Stauder, Renae
              Thomason, Kiev
              Tipton, Eric
              Towsen, Dave ("Grumpy")
              Trent, Hank
              Tyler, Steve
              Watson, Ley
              Willard, Ryan
              Willard, Sean
              Woodburn, Matt
              Woodhams, Bill
              Zimmerman, Evan

Comment

Not being familiar with all the names...is there anyone registered that will be traveling from South Carolina or Georgia or points south?

Mrs. Cornbread
                Sherry Key
                aka Mrs. Cornbread

Comment

Yes, at least one from Charleston and one from north Georgia. I believe, however, that each is intending to fly from an airport in their region to the Niagara-Buffalo International Airport (BUF) instead of driving.

Comment

Thanks Kevin! That doesn't really help as I was hoping to find a ride for Cornbread to share but I'll see what airfares look like. Doesn't look like it will work out. Y'all have a wonderful time.

Sherry Key.
                    Sherry Key
                    aka Mrs. Cornbread

Comment

There are exactly, currently (as of 11/12/2007) three registration spaces remaining.

Comment

Sherry,

I am flying from Charleston, SC to Buffalo for W64. I was able to find a round trip flight on AirTran through Travelocity for $208.

Hopefully that helps...
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I see a well known, but never actually convicted (and executed by firing squad) pie thief has added his name to the list.

If he is #70, can numbers 71 and 72 be "farby hind?"

Hoosiers! Dang, there goes the neighborhood.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Never had a pie from the state of New York. Of course, i'm sure they will be safe as long as no Buckeye is placed to stand guard over them. Those fellows are always thinking about sporting women back in Cincinnati!:tounge_sm
                            sigpic
                            Grandad Wm. David Lee
                            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Boozie:

See, Buckeyes have attempted to trust Hoosiers, but certain, ahem, pie incidents have taught us (the hard way) not to. Of course, ask a Badger if they trust a Buckeye when it comes to passes in and out of camp, and you might hear the same thing about us.

I'm not sure what a "sporting woman" is, but she sounds fun. :D
                              ERIC TIPTON
                              Former AC Owner

Comment

(sorry to chime in a thread for an event that I'm not attending)

Eric! Don't lump all Badgers in for the actions of one lone Dutch Baron on a fort wall!
                                Andy Ackeret
                                A/C Staff
                                Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Working...
                                X