Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Pancake breakfast!? Did you gentlemen venture out to the South Wilson Fire Company for their Sunday farmers breakfast?? What a treat after 4 days of army food.

As others have said, its hard to write about what we experienced. Its just one of things that you had to be there to understand. Next time you're at an event with your home unit, sit back and take notice on how many men complain because either its too hot or its too cold. Or they complain because they have to do fatigue duty, or picket duty or march a small distance, or because the food isn't the greatest. You can sit back, with coffee in hand and smile, knowing youve been there, done that and the other men have no idea what it's like to be put in that extreme.

I, for one, am proud to say that I am one of the few who have taken the challenge and survived the last w64 to be had. Although, I wouldnt have hard feelings if the event organizers lied and were planning another w64 behind our backs :wink_smil
    Mike Dudkowski

Comment

As I remarked to Chawles, it has been two and one-half years in the hobby and no two events have ever been the same. While I did attend the 2006 version of W'64, it was in no way like the 2008 rendition.

- The sinks were better
      - It was warmer
      - Burner Hut vs. Sibley
      - Shirking duty is as much of a challenge as actually being on fatigue (I am not a small person and it was only for 12 hours
      - The additional two plus days we were on site gave me a glimpse of what the Committee went through to bring this one home, I had fun.
      - Lard can be problematic but oh so worth the effort
      - The oyster stew was well received. The tinned oysters were delightful as well.
      - Cpls. Long and LaRouche did a heck of a job with the period boxing match. Hopefully folks were surprised at how "real" it was.
      - Fried Peach Pies
      - Icecapades do not hold a candle to the goings on near the USCC shed. Several may qualify for the Winter Olympic trials.
      - Conan the Airedale Terrorist was a great addition. What a wonderful dog.
      - The yellow snow joke was NOT lost on me.

Other notable items:

The fellowship at the fire hall was a wonderful surprise. The food was great.
      Scott, Dennis, Sparky, Pete, Coldfoot and Kevin deserve our highest gratitude.
      Co K sure can cook.
      Rob Carter sure can cook.
      The wallet hunt by Sgt. Mustache was like a scavenger hunt. ("I may have to walk to Minnesota.")

While I had a great time, there was a feeling at the end that I had been part of something special. Then Scott went and said it during dress parade and it all made sense. We became a living monument to the brave men of the 151st New York. I did shed a tear. Could not help it. That moment will last my lifetime.

Since most on this forum would not be able to appreciate the PAR, I will post it to the W '64 Yahoo Group over the weekend and the Columbia Torch in April. It may seem selfish but that's okay in this case.

When our mess (not yet CRs in early 2006) were invited to W'64, in the parking lot of the Payne's Farm event, we all signed up right then. We had no idea. We do now.

Thank you, all freaking 70 of you, for these and many other memories of last week.
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Vesuvius Lodge Dinner Menu

Dinner Menu for Vesuvius Lodge, Monday. Feb 21st, 1864 (actually Sat. the last night of the event).

Course One: Pork & Vegetable Stew

Course Two: Tomato Stewed with Salami and a Mixed Pickle Relish (mixed with crab meat)

Course Three: Sweet and Hot Vesuvius Pork Chop with either a Spiced Rue or a Cherry Glace

Course Four: Pickled Peaches

Course Five: Appertife
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only were all of the above items prepared, but served in a very professional manner.

Pvts Williams and Randall had 'volunteered' to cut up the 150lb half hog the forage detail had brought in. So... they very deftly portioned out a dozen 2" thick center cut pork chops (hey... we all know the butcher keeps the best cuts for himself.... ;) ).

With these prime chops packed away in snow, the task then became how to best serve them. After some quick trading with other folks on the Company street, and help from an Officer who brought the Crab Meat and a some spices from the Officers mess... the menu was set!

Needless to say, the meal was extraordinary!

Justin Runyon and Matt Woodburn did an excellent job in making that dinner a smashing success! (and yes... it was much better than the rats Matt cooked up for a few of us at Vicksburg!).
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

First of all I want to thank the organizers and the 151st NY Reenacting Unit for allowing Joe and I to put on a period style boxing match. It was a great turn out and I wish that all could have seen. (Next time). I really appreciated the shelter that was built, the Twine Castle. Kevin you did a superb job keeping everyone informed and on the same page for the event. Thank you. Shawn I pray that you and Zach made it home safely. Thank you for being my second at the match. I hope you had fun, I sure did.

What can I say about the Winter of 64. WOW! WOW! did I just say that twice. I could see the commeraderie growing each day. It was sad to say goodbye. Imagine that we actually had served together for years. I believe that the friendships that I had with some grew and that there are now some new friendships growing. I am thankful that the event is not this week. Amen.

Thanks Steve and Charles for your impressions of the USSC. I enjoyed my "Friday/Sunday" service. I traded the tomatos for some sausage. Amen.

Even if Conan the dog barks at your singing I still like it Rob.

Tom Gingras aka Mr. Geer, thank you for your support all weekend. Whether it was Guard duty or fatigue you were there to do your duty. Sincerely, the Champ.

I hope everything came out alright at the sinks Mr Selip/Slaughter. Mine worked out just fine.

Thanks for the good conversation in the Cooler Hut. Y'all were packed in there. Alex you barely fit in the bunk by yourself. Congratulations on retiring Mr. Rodman.

Can I tell you a little story about some guards that were guarding the wood pile.

"Was your weapon inspected this morning? No, Sir. Let me see your weapon? Corporal La Roche have this man arrested immediately."

Adam did you ever find your belt plate the second time?

To the men of VESUVIUS, it was a pleasure serving with you and for you. This include you too, Pat. Martin, Farley, Justin, Matt I had fun, Thanks. Kiev thanks for your help. I pray that I will see you gentlemen soon. By the way there is a village in Augusta County, VA named Vesuvius and I have a couple of friends that live there.

I don't know where to stop, maybe I will write more later. Thanks to everyone for a great time. God Bless.
          Peter J. "Pete" McCarthy
          POC'R Boy's Mess/Columbia Rifles

"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10

Comment

Johnny Lloyd AAR- W64

Gents:

Yeah, hate to sound like I'm gloating, but ya'll missed a great one if you didn't go. I have a feeling everyone will be talking about this one like they talk of BGR 07 in the near future.

Some highlights:

-Merrymaking at Vesuvius was wonderful! :p

-Guard duty boredom/lack of anything to keep the mind occupied was very real... It reminded me of doing guard duty in Iraq when I was living with the Iraqis. Some things do not change in 140+ years.

-The food was not great at first, but got better over the next 4 days. I was told as a rumor it was done that way on-purpose so the men would complain to their NCOs and officers would react to the situation. If this was true, which I feel it to be based on what I experienced, then this is a great excercise that adds much realism. Brilliant. Did this actually happen?

-I stayed in Pine Cottage, which, I feel, was pretty comfortable (then again, I think I'm just crazy like that)- we had 10 men sleeping in a room smaller than my bedroom on boards with a single wood-burning stove for heat against freezing temperatures. We modified the quarters to our liking/comfort and this idea of mutual survival caused us to bond together with others we barely knew. Very realistic... again, when in real combat, a unit moves into old hootches previously occupied by another replaced unit, soldiers collect junk from home, the PX, care packages, etc. and modify the quarters to their own use. It still happens today.

-As far as anachronisms, if there were any (which there were some, but VERY few) they were hard to see. I saw some modern nails in a few boxes- no biggie for me, that's mostly it for modernisms.

Everyone was really respectful of the experiences of others in this matter. Sometimes this isn't so at events, as you well know.

-Events planned were wonderful...

1) I was on Confederate duty and we camped in the woods for most of the night, listening to the sounds of the Yankee pickets talking with the Confederates. It was cold, dark and spooky. :)

2) We foraged at a house and "acquired" food from a civilian man, his mother and mentally-slow brother. She began to cry and the scene was not overplayed. Very disheartening this actually happened to citizens of the South- my ancestors. Reality set in here, too.

3) The boxing match was great... I made a fortune betting heavily on my corporal to win and he did. Huzzah! On another realistic note, in Iraq, we had boxing matches between my brigade's battalions to cut the boredom. Bottom line: it still goes on in real warfare amongst the men.

4) There was a soldier's "saloon" tent outside the camp in which we all drank (for a modest tip in real money) period drinks made according to the "Bon Vivant's Companion" or the original period recipies for mixed drinks. I lost all of my period money at the Chuck-a-Luck table and the Faero table. This was awesome, as I have always wanted to learn how to play these games.

5) We lived totally by the drum and fife. When it went off, we woke, ate, did duty, etc. Very real... it reminded me of being at The Citadel and living by the bugle call again. I haven't done that in ages! ;)

6) All paper materials (newspapers, circulars, etc.) were actually properly dated to the week we were supposed to be in camp. What else... Nice touch!

7) I think by the event being non-battle-focused, we had time to understand how material culture works/might have looked liked in a real camp.

My only suggestion is that there were 1 day out of the 4 in which we did not do anything at all (similar to a church/holy day) so we could try to keep ourselves occupied in a period-correct way and enjoy fellowship with fellow authentics. Boredom, followed by great and rapid activity, then more boredom, is the way of a real warzone.

Bottom line: Every effort was made to be period-correct by all and it came together like no other event.

Again... thanks for the experience. If there is another event like this one, I'll clear my schedule for it ASAP. It was well-worth missing work for this event!!! :)

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
            Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM.
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

It was good to meet you at W64. Sad to learn you were mugged at OP3 back in October at Rippavilla, even though we did have a good laugh at your expense over in Capt. Landrum's company. Okay, several good laughs, but I digress.... :p

If you take the time to reread the pre-event materials, especially the actual accounts from the 151st NYVI at the time they were living at Brandy Station, you'll find yourself thinking "hey, we did what I'm reading." There is a whole bunch of "read history and then do it" in the W64 continuum, but one aspect I really enjoyed in the 2005-2006 sequence was the Payne's Farm as the 151st NYVI leading up to that rendition of W64. Good times!

I see where Kevin has already asked for AARs, essays, impression notes, and such for an upcoming CWH article. This is a good time to jot a few of those down and submit them.

The Bible we used during Sunday services was something pulled from a trash pile in Richmond a few years ago. It was headed to the dump, and although the covers were pulled off, it was worth saving. It has sat in my tractor shed for a number of years in the midst of some scattered Chilton, Haynes, Ferguson and Farmall Service Manual type publications. It wasn't until we were piddling around with this event that I thought about using it as the recovered Bible from St. James Church. You'll recognize that name as the place where the 151st hauled bricks for their hut chimneys in their knapsacks (a distance of maybe one mile). At some point between Saturday's extraction from the tractor shed that would make Fred Sanford proud, and getting to the event on Sunday evening we flipped to the births, deaths, and marriages section, and realized it belonged to the parents of this fellow from Plattsburgh, NY:

Lt. Col. Stetson of the 59th NYVI

Nice marker. I'm glad that book didn't end up in a landfill. I don't know how it got to Richmond, but it was nice to have it visit NY again.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Here's Conan doing what he does best during dinner, in a photo by Sean Willard 151st NY

"That's the best damn dog the regiment ever stole!"

Bill O'Dea
                Saltboilers mess / 122nd NY
                Last edited by BillO'Dea; 02-28-2008, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Look how that wundermus dog has trained that soldier to sit, speak, and serve him food. Man, the things humans can do these days!
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I recall sitting in the CC's hut and hearing this small far away voice, "Mr. Beasley? Mr. Beasley!" So, I righted myself and went outside. The cries grew, louder and louder, "MR BEASLEY! MR BEASLEY." Someone had turned the latch on the Guard House and locked them in to a man. I was very happy to open the door to a laughing Rob Murry and, "Let out the Guard!"

Is there any private I didn't yell at for not wearing their blouse?

Capt. Wiles, Co K
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                    Past President Potomac Legion
                    Long time member Columbia Rifles
                    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

You know, in retrospect... I could get addicted to non-battle focused events over tacticals/skirmishes. I kept referring to the event to my coworkers that asked about it as "the holodeck" like on Star Trek because it is about the closest we can actually come to the 1860s. I am now finding this as more fun and educational than battle-focused events. At a non-battle focused event, we can take the time to enjoy fellowship with people we sometimes rarely see beyond the internet, share knowledge and "get into the moment"... even realistically play a character that might have truly exsisted in the 1860s.

There was a time when I thought the action of the battle was the most fun and educational, but I fully understand now that my mind's eye needed to actually see the material culture/everyday lives of these extraordinary people that lived in this period of history to flesh-out the whole story.

I laughed, I froze, I greatly enjoyed... and above all, I learned.

-Johnny
                      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 02-29-2008, 11:45 AM.
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Being on the event committee, this event reminded me of what its like to watch your children grow up .

I had he priveledge of commanding Co. H, but the real credit goes to Lt. Sanders, Sgt. Gritman, the the NCO's and of course the men of Co. H! You really did bring the 151st back to life.

Peter Smith
                        (aka C.C. Billings Co. H)
                        [COLOR="black"][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Peter C. Smith[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] Hilton, New York

Comment

Johnny,

To your last post, all I can say is, "Now, you're learning boy-o!"
                          Matt Woodburn
                          Retired Big Bug
                          WIG/GHTI
                          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Christian Commission. Today I received a letter from my dear husband. He wrote:

"Dear Martha,

Did you receive my letter saying I am in the regimental hospital? I am suffering from chronic diarrhea and the surgeon decided I should spend some time with lighter duty and better diet to recover. The Christian Commission men visited and brought some canned peaches which were a welcome delicacy. They held services to-day and I was surprised how few attended. Dr. Steinert was not even there. I will be glad when Dr. Cotes is back. Dr. S is from Albany and don't know any of the men or their families from before the war like Dr. Cotes. I am writing Leonard's wife because I don't know how to address him. I guess he is out of the hospital but still in Tennessee but I don't know where. Your letter sent on Feb 1 is the latest I received. The box has not come yet. The mail seems slow. It used to only take about a week and nothing has changed. The mail is still coming on the cars that are running regularly. It has been cold with only an inch or two of snow. Write me any news of home or the family. What is Uncle George doing these days? Have you heard from any of the family in Maine? This letter will go out at 2 o'clock with the Christian Commission agent so must close. Write soon with any news.

Yours

Theodore Bragdon."

Sirs,

I do know that you are aware of the fact that these are the last words I will ever hear from my Theodore, as I have received word of his death. Thank you for making certain that the letter made the mails.

Y.O.S.,

Mrs. Widow Theodore Bragdon
                            Linda Trent
                            [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
                            It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
                              Johnny,

To your last post, all I can say is, "Now, you're learning boy-o!"
                              It was all due to a strong dose of your "Jellied Eel" concoction whilst worshipping Vesuvius, Mr. Woodburn...

IN VINO VERITAS

:p

Huzzah! LOL

Thanks- Johnny
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Mac,
                                Thanks for the kind words. I was just doing my part besides I made a buck off of ya in the fight. Though at one point every time I heard Fatigue call I just put my blouse on and waited for the First Sergeant, it was like my own personal drum call.

MAKE WAY FOR THE VICTOR LAROUCHE!

Reading the quotes from the event has caused me to bust out laughing at my desk on multiple occasions. Even ones I did not hear directly I can guess as to the context and get a smile from.

I also found out that when the officer of the day approaches the guard shack accidently and the guard calls out the Guard if you swear loud enough from inside the shack the rapid order to stand down is usually forth coming and the officers wander off elsewhere. And that if you loose something people will look in the strangest places rather than admit that they probably lost it in the sinks and make the walk of shame down to look.

This was hands down the best damn event I have gone to in 15 years of doing this and would fly to Buffalo to be part of a work party to set it up to do it again in 2010.
                                I am, etc.
                                Thomas Gingras
                                Awkward Squad Mess
                                Columbia Rifles
                                Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Working...
                                X